LMS VI: Something about Monsters

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue May 30, 2023 7:36 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Week Thirty-Nine: Life Part Thirteen
1008 Words

Mallory spluttered. “Best kiss in my life? I… I was married for… several years.”
Jack blinked. “Wait, you were? I would have never guessed.”
Mallory took a step back. “What is that supposed to mean?”
“Well, I don’t understand how that could be a ‘was.’ You’re pretty cute, you know. I can’t imagine that your personality is any worse.”
“She died.”
Jack grimaced. “Oh. Oh…”
“Yeah.”
“I’m so sorry.
“I’m sure.”
“I ruined this, didn’t I?”
“I’m not exactly pleased with you right now.” Mallory frowned.
“I’m hearing a but there.”
Mallory sighed. “I don’t see why.”
“I think I could win you back over.”
“Really now?”
“Absolutely. You sip this drink. I grovel. I take you on an evening stroll. We have a candlelit evening. You’ll love me again.”
“Again is pretty confident.”
Life smirked, opening his arms. “I’m a pretty confident guy.”
Mallory huffed. “I can tell.”
“Oh, come on you love it.”
“I’m tolerating it. For my therapist.”
“Look, I’m genuinely sorry for the was comment. I don’t understand why you’re so upset.”
Mallory glared at him. Didn’t understand? He didn’t understand? He made a comment about his dead wife and he didn’t understand why Mallory was upset?
“Are you serious?”
Life scoffed. “Look, you can't expect me to know that your wife is dead. That's an unfair standard. I assumed you two got divorced. Divorces are hot ticket items these days.”
Mallory hesitated. Did that… make some sort of sense?
“What do you expect me to do? Read your mind?” Life scoffed. “Look, I get it you’re grieving, but you can’t take it out on everyone else. Loosen up. Get over it.”
Mallory blinked, looking at the floor. Maybe he had been unfair to Jack. Maybe he needed to loosen up and accept that people couldn’t cater to his dead wife. Sarah was gome. Jack was here. Was Mallory going to ruin a chance at a fresh start because of her? Would she want that? How would she feel abot his isolation? Maybe Dr. Indra had done him good by sending him here. He needed to get out and face the muse that life didn’t revolve around a dead woman.
Mallory leaned against the counter, his shoulders shaking slightly. “Bartender? When’s that drink coming?”
Soon, a cool glass slide across the counter, slick with condensation. Jack smirked. “I see you’re open to changing your mind.”
Mallory shrugged. “Maybe. Show me what you’re offering.”
Life smirked. The bar was strangely lit enough that Mallory didn’t notice how Life’s hand glowed with power. He kept his influence in Mallory’s head, corrupting his thoughts. Leading him away from the loving Sarah, deep into his arms. Into his influence. He wanted to own Mallory.
And the worst thing was, Mallory didn’t even notice. He thought Life’s influence was healthy. He thought it was healing.
Mallory was doomed.
Jack picked up his glass of scotch. “How does it taste?”
Mallory finally sipped his drink. It was much sweeter than he expected. “Did they forget to put alcohol in this?”
Jack chuckled, sipping his own drink. “Oh, trust me. They didn’t. You’ll feel it in a moment.”
Mallory took a much larger drink, completely ignoring Jack at this point. The drink was just so good. “I don’t even drink Mt. Dewy. Why is this good?”
“Alcohol. It adds a whole new layer. Welcome to adulting.”
Mallor nodded eagerly as he was practically chugging his drink at this point. “Glad to be here.” He went back to his guzzle fest.
“Slow down there, babe. Or I’m going to have to carry you home.”
Mallory choked. “B-Babe?”
Jack blinked. “Babe. Aren’t we dating? Are you that oblivious?”
“How is that-”
“Don’t worry about it. Look, we’re dating. Babe’s going to just slip out sometimes.”
“I didn’t-”
“I honestly don’t understand why you’re making such a big deal about it.”
Mallory deflated. “Right. Sorry.” Of course Jack was already upset with him. Of course Mallory was already ruining this.
Jack sighed and waved his hand dismissingly. “It’s whatever. Just calm down, okay? Not everything has to be a big deal.”
“Okay. I’m sorry. I’ll be better.”
“Yeah, sure. Whatever.” Jack kept sipping his drink.
Mallory sighed, squirming slightly. He didn’t like this. Why was Jack still so angry? They never saif anything about dating. How was he supposed to know that’s what the arrangement was? He sighed, finishing up his drink.
Jack glanced between Mallory and his empty glass. “I’ll get you another one.”
Mallory flinched. “You don’t have to!”
“What, am I not allowed to get you a drink now?”
Mallory’s stomach dropped. “No! No. I’m just saying don’t feel obligated. It’s okay. If you don’t want to.”
Jack rolled his eyes. “Robert. Same as before for this one.”
Mallory silently set his glass on the bar. Robert took it and left.
Jack seemed to look Mallory up and down. “What’s up with you?”
Mallory tried not to stiffen. “Nothing.”
Jack sighed. “Alright then.
They stood in silence for a few moments.
“I’m sorry.” Mallory looked towards the door. “I… I’m sorry.”
“Why are you apologizing?”
“I just… I don’t know. You’re clearly upset with me, which means I’ve done something wrong.”
Jack frowned. “What makes you think I’m upset?”
Mallory spluttered. “You… I… you just…” He deflated again, almost slumping against the counter. “I don’t know.”
Life reached over and rubbed one of his shoulders. “Relax, okay? You sound paranoid?”
Mallory blanched. “Paranoid?”
“Don’t worry about it. Just take a deep breath. Drink up. Relax. Calm down. You sound crazy if you go on accusing me of being upset and then have no proof to back it up.”
Mallory shriveled. “I’m sorry. I'm sorry.”
Jack sighed. “And we’re back to apologizing. Look, babe, it’s fine. No one’s biting your head off. You’re fine. Calm down.”
Mallory swallowed and nodded profusely. “Okay. Okay. I will. I will. I’ll be… better. Less crazy. Less worrisome. Less… bad.”
“Less bad. How eloquent.”
When Robert sent another glass of Mallory’s drink, he grabbed it gratefully.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh