z

Young Writers Society

LMS VI: Garden Realms Revamp

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:29 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Basic idea: scrapping the 'hard' magic system from my previous attempt to write this poetry collection. This new version will involve people being able to travel to different parts of the Garden Realms (name uncertain) via dreams. I'm hoping to take inspiration from my own tendency to dream of weird architectural mish-mashes.

Not-so-basic idea:

Coming Soon

Index

1. Planning how to Plan This
2. Premise and Origin of the Garden Realms
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

542 Reviews

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:55 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Planning How I'll Plan This

1. Get a better premise description. This is the one I currently have in my docs:
The Garden Realms are a place where people around the world might go to in their dreams.
They are an embodiment of differing desires for structure and permanence . . . which resulted in a place that is constantly changing to accommodate different needs.

[DONE]

2. What's the organising principle for the dreams? Why do the Garden Realms exist? (Even if I don't mention it in the poem) [DONE, and I am mentioning it after all!]

2.5 Collect my list of story references for this, just to figure out the type of thing I'm trying to create. (The ones I currently have are predictably just . . . all over the place hah. Elephant Quest, which is a silly platformer 'meta' game about an elephant looking for a hat, a couple of dark point-and-click games I watched let's plays of at one point, Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland . . . ) [DONE in a word doc]

3. Decide what mood I'm going with. To fit in with the other poetry I've been doing this year, things like humor, curiosity, aesthetic appreciation would be good. I could also do something a little different and go with contemplative, or mysterious, or more of a creepy uncanny atmosphere. Honestly not sure at the moment! [DONE]

4. (and 7) Themes and motifs: figure out how I'm going to represent cycles, absurdity vs clarity, complexity vs simplicity (which is also figuring out how the 'soft' magic system is going to work )

5. Reorganise my Pinterest board to put a) main ideas and overall view in one section b) specific poem ideas in another section c) different sections to show the range of changes the Garden Realms might make

6. Make some specific characters and storylines to go into. These should be non-chronological experimental narratives to fit with the dream-like atmosphere.

*7. Should the garden itself be a character? I do think so, and I did have the idea of giving it a specific value system and personality to guide the imagery. If that's the case, maybe I should decide this around the same time as step 4.

*8. I'm hoping to be able to come up with the basic principles of how each garden dream will look in steps 2,4, 5, but in case I need to turn back to some extra worldbuilding, here is where I would do it, maybe using these threads for a little help. * and*.
she/her

542 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:37 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Premise and Origin of the Garden Realms

A young girl makes 4 trips into a mysterious dream dimension, aiming to discover the origin of the magic that has created it. Along the way, she has to solve puzzles and navigate ever-changing landscapes, collecting hints that the magic might have been created by a person with a fondness for dizzying embroidered slippers and postal stamps. She is motivated by the need to get a full night's sleep for once, as she's been having these wild garden dreams for weeks. As time passes and she gathers more clues, she learns to cope with the chaos of the gardens.

Spoiler for the poem!
Spoiler! :
An old lady made the Garden Realms when she was a little girl and has been staying there ever since. The origin of her magic is a mysterious crystal she found buried in her beloved garden as a young girl, which allowed her to create a whole dimension of her own, though she may not bring things from this dimension into the physical world (the other way around, however, is possible).

Our protag discovers the old lady in the fourth poem and they have a chat, as the main protagonist wonders how the Gardens became as chaotic as they are and whether the old lady can make them not-like-that because every time the little girl dreams of them accidentally, she wakes up really tired. Old lady honestly doesn't know because it feels like her creation has spiralled far beyond her control. Still, it's rather nice. The last poem will end with her showing the girl her stamp collection that sits among the coins in a non-operational decorative fountain.

she/her

542 Reviews

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:51 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

The Mood

The speaker will be narrating the tale from third-person, and voicing the girl's thoughts. The girl will think in an annoyed, slightly snarky tone most of the time, but occasionally lapse into being mesmerised by how the garden works or into feeling confused. I hope to make the reader feel curious.
she/her

542 Reviews

Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:00 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

1. The First (Fifth) Night

Text:
Spoiler! :

Gardens are places where people get lost,
places that demand maps and a knowledge of rules.
Even in dreams, the green can bewilder,
as it did for Lily, when her eyes snapped open.

The soft sheets and mattress had melted away,
and now a less cosy corner was trapping her
inside a warm greenhouse with looming glass walls
fogged over with white condensation.

On top of that
she noticed
those fern fronds
sliding closer.

Long tapering leaves, casting dangling shadows,
like the fringe of a plant-based dog shuffling forward.
Lily stumbled, clutching at the hem
of what she realised was her small yellow blanket.

The leaves phased through her – as though
they were ghosts, or she was a ghost, or –
and just then it struck her with the touch of cobblestone
that this was the fifth night she had been having these dreams.

“That’s just great,”
she said
in a tin whistle voice, “and I
have a math test tomorrow.”

She hopped over stones, and ran through corridors
the shelves upon shelves stacked high over her head.
All she knew was that she needed to get out,
but a white light flashed, and her route was blocked.

A shelf had slid left, the plants in it swaying,
to stop her from getting any further.
She backed out. She found another path,
beside a small pool of green water.

Then that pool
began to drain
and in its place
rose an L-shaped shelf.
“Not again!” she stomped and shouted and cried,
because she had been thwarted once more.
The pots seemed to shiver. The light seemed to shift.
And the shelves, they shuffled ever faster.

She ducked out again, the world was a blur.
A mist began to cloud her vision.
When she fell, she fell hard,
hands scrambling for purchase,

and she went down
into her bed
dawn cracking
through the window –

a lurch in her sleeping legs.
A faint whiff of greenery.
But as for her blanket,
it was gone.

52 lines
she/her

542 Reviews

Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:57 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

2. (untitled - draft)

Spoiler! :
Gardens are spaces made for bad people,
Lily thought, a little girl grumpy because
no one had believed her, upon telling the tale
of her blanket lost in a dreamland greenhouse.

This time she opened her eyes to find
a clear glass wall. On the other side
the palm trees emerged from the ground
still in the breezeless room.

Her gaze drifted
towards a
white stone table
where a tortoise sat
drinking tea.

If she weren’t dreaming, she would have blinked
but she had less control of her body in this place.
she/her

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb