I am once again asking for help with a title

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

*sighs loudly**again*

As you may remember, about four years ago I asked for help retitling the Chosen Grandma story.

And then, several months ago, I asked for help retitling GroundskeeperWIP.

Well, I need help again...again.

I am just so tragically bad at coming up with titles.

ANYWAY. This time, the title is for a short fantasy story about a secret necromancer and the plant witch she loves. It's for a Secret Santa exchange for writers although I also plan to submit it places after we do the gift exchange and my prompt was "I love you because you're a monster."

The Plot

When Hester goes to the market that day, the streets are abuzz with gossip. A little boy who fell off a ladder and broke his neck is alive. But the townspeople don't think it a miracle: they think it necromancy, and that Hester's wife Annie, a known witch, is to blame.

Only Hester knows the truth. It was necromancy. But it wasn't Annie; it was her. No one in town, not even Annie, knows about Hester's powers. It's safer that way. She can't bring herself to tell the truth even when the townspeople threaten to run the two women out of town.

When Annie loses control during the confrontation, her magic explodes, scattering the townspeople and killing the women's dog. Aware that they'll now have to leave town anyway, hoping Annie will accept her as no one ever has, Hester uses her own powers to bring the dog back to life.

She risks a glance at Annie. Her skin prickles all over; she feels exposed. Flayed and bare like she’s laid out on a dissecting table. She’s never done this in front of anyone before. Not on purpose. Whenever she’s caught, that’s when she leaves.

the tone

A little on the dark side, a little creepy, a little soft. Vaguely horror-adjacent but firmly in the fantasy genre. Small town setting where everything unsettling comes from the creeping horror of knowing your neighbors could turn on you at any moment. For all that, it's a (relatively) happy ending in that Hester still has Annie as far as we know since we don't really see Annie's reaction to her powers and the dog is alive again.

Key terms for this story would be: necromancy, plant magic, small town, man vs society, secrets, exposure

any questions?

If you feel like more information would help you come up with title suggestions, let me know what you need!

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:06 am
View Likes
fatherfig says...

They say bad ideas may spark good ones so I will suggest the title I thought of:

Life's Deathly Kiss
"i dont slay i slaughter, luke i am your father..." ~fatherfig

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:13 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@TypoWithoutCoffee can I just say how much I love that you yeeted yourself in here like "so here's a bad idea for you" XD <3

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:19 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Blue said she wanted titles, so TITLE TIME??

Wilted Roses and Broken Bones
There's Solace in Silence??? idk, it came up in my head
The Necromancer's Unlife and Unlies, or Two Necromancer's Unlifes and Unlies?

I am similarly bad at titles xD
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:24 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Omni fr me asking everyone for help like

titles for the poor.gif
titles for the poor.gif (731.29 KiB) Viewed 297 times

hmmmm I feel like maybe I could do something with The Necromancer's Unlife and Unlies? this might get toyed around with

in the meantime, purely for me (but look if you want, idc), here's a list of the brainstorming I've been doing so far (as I did for Gwip)

Spoiler! :
characters
Hester
Annie Macrae

objects
the dog
flowers
necromancy
secrets

events
the raising of

places
??????????
the witch's shop

times
??????????
winter

themes
???????????????????????
Death is not the biggest fear we have; our biggest fear is taking the risk to be alive – the risk to be alive and express what we really are. - Miguel Angel Ruiz

gobbet titles
coming soon!

miscellaneous titles
every door
every death a door(way) [but with "way" it's too similar to "every heart a doorway" oop]
??????????
the ______ of _________
_______ and (the) ________
adj noun
______, _______, (and) _________
verbing (preposition)(article) noun
how to _________
what to _________

quote titles
our dead are never dead (george elliot quote)
if I am, death is not (Epicurus)
to live defeated is to die (Napolean Bonaparte)
though death be poor (william shakespeare)
death be not all (added "not" to a bram stoker quote)
all this inside her (changed "me" to "her" in a david foster wallace quote) >> all the death inside her (?)

Of Bones and Brambles
Deadly Secrets
The Deadly Secrets of [MC's Name] <<<< ooh I like this, maybe we can play around with this
These Entangling Vines

The Deadly Secrets of Hester Macrae
The Undeadly Secrets of Hester Macrae
The Undying Secrets of Hester Macrae
The Tangled Secrets of Hester Macrae
The Resurrecting of Hester Macrae
The Raising of Hester Macrae
The Life, Death, & Undeath of Hester Macrae
The Life & Undeath of Hester Macrae
The Undying of Hester Macrae

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:51 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

update

After some brainstorming with a Twitter friend, I'm going with The Raising of Hester Macrae. Thank you for your help, everyone!

I'll show my defiance through ironic obedience!
— AstralHunter