Young Writers Society

The Return of Lady Spark

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:55 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Hello, loves. It's been a long time.

I'll be using this topic as a sounding board and journal like page where I can discuss the projects I'll be working on for the next few months as I try to find my footing as a writer again. It's been years since I spent time on a project, but I've decided to really focus on writing in 2022 and see what happens.

As of today, 11/9/21, I have three projects in varying lengths of completion.

The first being my poetry manuscript that's been written and edited for quite sometime. I think it might be time to start pursuing a way of publishing it or exploring self-publish options. It's not doing me any good sitting in a folder on my laptop.

The second being the outlined and somewhat researched parenting and educational philosophy book I hope to finish in the next year. I've spent the last five years researching the many facets of development and cognition of young children, and I think I can finally start in the direction of writing it all down in book form. If you're curious about what kind of topics we'll be exploring, click here to see my tiktok.

The third is the least fleshed out of the three, and very much on the back burner for now. However, I'd still like to explore it, because I think I'd really enjoy it. I have some type of idea for an adventure/mystery series for middle schoolers. I don't have any plans, characters, plots or anything so far, just a sense that there's a book somewhere in me waiting to come out.

So yeah! If you're interested in following along on my return to writing journey, hop on board. I'm not sure when I'll update this, or how often, but I'll do my best.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:02 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Reading & Writing

To get back in the swing of things with writing, I decided to pick up a book or two that might help me begin. The first book I've chose is "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. I'm really enjoying it so far— it has some pretty practical advice so far. The first being, write everyday around the same time. I'm a pretty routine based person, so I think that will be pretty easy for me to establish. The second being, don't always focus on your project and allow yourself to freewrite almost exclusively in the beginning.

I think I'm going to use this piece of advice at least at first to kind of find my plot for the fiction project. And maybe to just explore different areas of my life! I don't know if I'll be taking every piece of advice and applying it, but so far this is a great book, if only for the personal and relatable writing style.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

355 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:49 am
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Short Assignment
wrote for ~15 minutes today, just to do a little ice breaker. Used the prompt "the day when the seasons change" and just freewrote from there (no editing). Not SUPER happy, but hey— when you haven't written prose since you were 17 and you just turned 24 a day ago... you take what you can get.

Spoiler! :

I've never experienced a season that came slowly. Every year growing up, summer kept me stuck to the slimy sides of the public pool until suddenly— I stepped outside one morning and the crisp apple taste of going back to school ripped me from my comfortable life of indolence. This year is no different. My fingers are colored blue at the tips from the chill that hangs in the air as I shuffle across the parking lot towards my frosted car. The door sticks, but I yank it open anyway and throw my bag across into the passenger seat. The cough of exhaust and rumbling of the engine breaks the steely silence of the morning and settles to a low roar as the car slowly warms itself. The crystal coating obscuring my vision begins to crack, floating across my winshield in jagged shards.
hush, my sweet

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:09 am
Shady says...

Hey Sparky! I hope you're doing well <3 How has writing been going for you so far this year? The advice you shared in your second post sounds really great -- was the rest of the book good, too? Also, I really liked your flash fiction piece! You used very good emotive language to elicit a sort of visceral reaction from me and made me cringe at the "slimy sides" comment. Best of luck in all your writing endeavors!

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi