590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:14 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Mage's Novel Collection

A place for me to throw all of my WIPs.

I saw a few other people doing this, so I thought I would try my hand at a thread to keep track of all my novels in. I'm not good about sticking to projects. I've made a lot of novels during my time on YWS, as well as threads to accompany them. Having all of them in one place would be a good way to keep track of them. I'll keep all the original threads the way they are and maybe add to them sometime, but I'll also try giving little blurbs here when I'm interested in the story.

Stories

Ghosted

A story I wrote for #NaNo this past November, featuring a dead boy, his ex-best friend's boyfriend, and a strange amnesiac girl named Temp. It currently has one draft completed with revisions on the way.

The Witch's Return

A seemingly cute summertime tale of a tiny Connecticut town. There's ties to magic, demons, and history that refuses to be forgotten. I wrote a few chapters of it in February after having a dream that gave me the idea for the story, but I never did anything with it afterwards. I'll probably leave this one on the back burner for a long time.

Changeling

A wlw superhero story where the main character has to balance school, family life, crushes, and a brand new set of villains. I almost did it for NaNo in November after having the characters for years, but I held off on it and did Ghosted instead. I started impulsively writing it in the middle of January of 2021. I'm lowkey tempted to make it into an online comic instead of a book, but I have no idea if I'll ever find someone to do the art for the comic.

The Cryptid Hunters

I've been tossing this one around for awhile, but I only really decided to get into it after throwing two of its characters into High Point University. As of right now, it's little more than the beginnings of a podcast script and a few short-lived novel drafts. It involves a journalist named Benji Frost, a cryptid hunter/cryptozoologist named Daniel Leeds, and the annual Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant, West Virginia.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:08 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Ghosted

A Blurb

Arium is like other high fantasy, D&D-esque worlds. It has magic, a healthy dose of chaos, and plenty of adventures. But it also has something else: it's the place that people occasionally end up after they die on Earth. For them, Arium is a second chance. And no matter if you came from Earth or were born on Arium, you'll always have a special magical power.

But something's wrong on Arium. It doesn't get a lot of dead people at any given time, but there's even less than usual. For the last seventeen years no one has ended up on Arium after they died. To make matters worse, no one can get in contact with Arium's god or the most recent chosen one.

Meanwhile, on Earth, Van Sullivan has unsurprisingly found himself in another foster home. He's been in and out of them for his entire life, but this foster home is different than the others - it's in the same town he spent a good chunk of his childhood in. It has his favorite graveyard, his favorite set of ghosts no one else can see and his childhood best friend Rosalind "Rosie" Grey.

But Rosie is different now. She's no longer able to brush off the ghosts Van sees as his imaginary friends, no longer likes hanging out at the graveyard her dad is the caretaker for, and is dating one of the most popular boys in the entire school district. She doesn't even like going by Rosie anymore.

If the year couldn't get any worse, their school bus gets into an accident on the way to school one morning. Instead of becoming one of the ghosts he's always talked to, Van finds himself on Arium - with a strange power unlike anything he's ever mentioned.

Van's supposedly the new chosen one because of his sudden arrival and chillness with the dead, but the job comes with very little perks. Armed with his strange power, a questionable narration style, an amnesiac ghost named Temp and Rose's boyfriend Theo, Van's going to have to track down a missing god and find out what happened to the last chosen one.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:09 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

The Witch's Return

A Blurb

To Be Added
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:10 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Changeling

A Blurb

For the past three years, Wren Carter's life has been relatively simple: she goes to high school, helps out with her parents at their cafe, and fights crime in her hometown of Ark Haven as a shapeshifting hero named The Actor.

But that's about to change.

During the fall of Wren's junior year of high school, her parents decide to foster a boy that a family friend took care of several four years ago before he ran away. The arrival of Leon Thorne means changing everything about her life - including how she does her hero work.

But Leon isn't the only new thing in town. A villainous agency known as Perseus has decided to set up a base in Ark Haven, and Wren suddenly finds herself adding another set of villains to her foes: Sam Turner and Loki A. Lias, the resident Perseus agents.

And if life couldn't get anymore confusing, Wren has another challenge to tackle: her love life. Not only does she have a horrible crush on her sworn enemy, a femme fatale named The Magician, but she also has an incredibly strong crush on one of her classmates.

With a shift in Wren's family life, new villains, teenage crushes, and the burning question of why she got her powers in the first place, surviving junior year might be a little harder than expected.
mage

queer and here.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Hey @Magebird! These all sound really cool. Do you have a blurb for The Witch's Return? I was just wondering since you said you did actually write part of it at one point!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:01 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for asking, @BluesClues! I don't have a blurb just yet, but I plan on having one someday. c:
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:30 pm
Mageheart says...

The Cryptid Hunters

A Blurb

this post is courtesy of @BluesClues, thanks to her reminding me that this thread exists

Benji has never liked interacting with other people. Anyone who doesn't know him well (which is many people) would be surprised to discover that he's one of The Skeptic's leading reporters. But Benji's happy to work from the comfort of his home, explaining away conspiracy theories with cold, hard facts. It makes the world feel right.

Success, however, comes at a price. Benji is given an assignment that involves actually going somewhere: Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Point Pleasant is gearing up for its annual Mothman Festival and The Skeptic wants the scoop from one of its favorites. Considering that the festival is the town's busiest time of the year, it's an absolute nightmare for an introvert.

Things only get worse when he arrives. Tourists and reluctant reporters aren't the only people interested in Mothman Festival. Recent Mothman sightings have attracted a darker side of the cryptozoology: cryptid hunters, who are more intent on claiming Mothman as a trophy than proving its existence. The worst of them is all is Daniel Leeds, a hunter who's known in secretive circles for catching the Jersey Devil and putting it on display in his forest mansion.

Benji just wants to stick to reporting the festival, but Daniel refuses to let him do his job in peace. Benji's secrets - and the reason he left Point Pleasant years ago - are on the line.

And he's not sure he can keep them under wraps for much longer.
mage

queer and here.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:15 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

oooh, this sounds really cool!

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:26 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

@BluesClues, thanks! I can't remember when I first came up with it, but I'm absolutely obsessed with the ideas of cryptids. I'm also a really big fan of found family. It doesn't come up in the blurb, but the story is 100% a found family story. c:
mage

queer and here.

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken