Young Writers Society

Useless Wordbuilding

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:48 pm
View Likes
piyaliarchives says...

The worldbuilding bug bit me. Yeah.
I just keep on creating different worlds and multiple characters when I don't really have a story to tell. I am probably just having a writer's block, but who knows?

I am trying to write, but I am finding my own writing boring. No plots, no structure, no interesting situations, it's just characters roaming around in my story. It doesn't matter how much detail I include, it is not interesting. I get excited, but only to create new characters. I am finding it harder and harder to write because I have no story to tell. I spend so much time searching for a good writing prompt to get me started, even if I do find a good one, I just difficult to write about it. :(

And having to keep a word count goal to finish in time isn't also helping me out, it just stresses me more.

Do anyone of you know how I can "fix" this situation? Or any tips to get started?

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:16 am
View Likes
keystrings says...

A way to "create" plot can be to look into how/why you made your characters the way they are -- even simple ideas such as what they look like/what their background is/what their personalities are like can go into an overreaching plot.

If it helps, too, you can always look at what your favorite book/series does and see what you think works for the plot and what doesn't. Getting too much influence from books can be a bit bad, but simply taking in pieces of advice can help with simply picturing things developing.

I hope that helps! ^^
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson