Dark Myrtle Grove

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Dark Myrtle Grove

Vaguely inspired by the novel I wrote sophomore year.

A Summary, Also Known As I'm Still Working Out the Plot So I'm Sorry This Is So Long

Ryan Evans is an enigma to anyone who knows him well - or would be, if anyone really did.

A senior in high school who still hasn't chosen which college to go to, Ryan is the stereotype of the perfect student. He's been a student council representative for the past four years, has perfect A+'s, and has never once been in a fight. If a teacher needs help, he's always bound to volunteer. Ryan is popular, but only to a point: he never goes to any social events, even when he gets ample invitations. He's the type of person to receive countless crushes but not return a single one, and the type of person who has hundreds of followers on his Instagram - even if he never posts.

But what his classmates don't know is that Ryan's suffered from anxiety for years. His only friends are ones that he's made online. He gets overwhelmed at large social events, but he can handle the little moments: chatting with TheSongKnight while they play a MMORPG together, or talking with redplanets-coffee over on Tumblr. He's been working on it with a therapist, but progress doesn't happen overnight.

Still, Ryan feels restless. With his eighteenth birthday coming up, he still doesn't know what he wants to be: he's always drifting from interest to interest, and hasn't even decided on a major.

But then Ryan discovers a secret world, and the one he thought he understood is changed forever. The people he thought were one thing turn out to be another, and he feels more and more distant from the kids he grew up with. Because Ryan's starting to get dreams and feelings that don't really make sense. In those dreams, he's another person.

And in the center of all of this is a mystery that should have never existed to begin with: the Greek god of the dead was killed almost two decades ago, and no one knows how or by who.

If Ryan wants to finally understand who he is, he'll have to solve the mystery with the help of TheSongKnight, redplanets-coffee and a whole slew of strange, magical people who shouldn't even exist.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

"Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof."
— V for Vendetta