Young Writers Society

Queer as in F*** You: a zine

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:06 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Hey all!

I'm interested in publishing a zine focusing on punk queerness and feminism, social justice, sex positivity, etc, etc. If you know me, you know what I'm about.

I'm going to include poetry, essays, photography, art, etc.

Basically, if you're interested in and make art/writing about these subjects and want to be published in this self made zine, send it to me! My plan is to arrange the pages digitally and then print them into physical copies. Everyone online who contributes will get a zine sent to them at no cost, for contributing.

For non-contributers, physical copies will be available for sale as well.

The only guideline that must be followed is that the size of your page must be 5.5" x 8.5". Outside of that, anything goes - nsfw, strong language, other mature content, etc. A trigger warning on upsetting things would be appreciated but is not required when you submit, though it may be added later.

I'm going to set up an email for submissions here in a bit, which I'll post in this thread once it's set up.

That's it! Right now I'm still brainstorming ideas for the title and format, so if you have any ideas, drop them below or send me a pm! Thanks!
Last edited by FruityBickel on Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

134 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

EDIT: So I realized the other thing that would be required when you submit something is the name you'd like to be published under and preferably some sort of social media where readers can follow you and check out more of your work.

I also thought of calling it The Thinkbox, but that feels a bit too self-centered, so opinions and thoughts are appreciated!

also thinking of making a discord server (maybe doing it like squills with multiple editors???) but idk yet. still brainstorming.

second edit: a tumblr might be good for this, so people could submit stuff online, so i'm probably going to make that once a good title is thought of.

134 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:09 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Should also mention that i'm gonna make enough physical copies of each edition to go pass out at local coffee shops and stores!

32 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 32
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:28 pm
View Likes
atlast says...

Just a thought, but do you think there could be a way for the zine to be published digitally so that people without the ability to safely purchase (or receive the zine if they're an editor) for whatever reason? I just think that there should be a way for people to access the zine if they aren't able to purchase a physical copy due to unsafe/unaccepting living conditions where they live. I understand that this would kind of ruin the point of selling copies, as it would be publicly available, but it was just a thought, as I know some people aren't able to access certain resources due to their living environments. If you want to brainstorm on ways to make that possible (you definitely don't have to, by the way), then feel free to pm me!
atlast

previously AtlasWut

my pms are always open <3

134 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

@godhatesshane, I've actually thought about this! And I'm thinking since I'll set up the tumblr for submissions anyway, I could digitally publish it there? That'd take some configuration, I think, as I'm not the most tech savvy but I can try! And then physical copies would still be available for sale for those that would want one, or available for free for the contributors that want one and are able to safely have one.

Also, since it'll be available online for no cost, alongside selling the physical copies I could put up a donation site and link it on the tumblr so that I could at least break even on the cost.

134 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:31 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

SOME TITLE IDEAS SO FAR:

- The Thinkbox
- Queer Quids
- Indigo Sky
- Velvet Vomit
- Do the Stars Cry Too?

add your suggestions in this thread!!

134 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:19 am
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

EDIT: Also found out you can do like, adobe reader thingies and email copies so that might also be a way to digitally publish it?? still reading and researching, i'll keep y'all updated

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:23 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I'm not sure if you have a Tumblr or not, but I've seen some zines on there before! I haven't always checked them out, but the zine I saw was a free fandom one shared through Google docs. I wouldn't recommend that specifically because of internet safety, but it might be a good middle step between receiving submissions and changing it into a pdf - you can get it all together in one place and edit it.
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

32 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:53 am
View Likes
atlast says...

@LordStar I'm not super tech savvy, either, but I'm glad you've considered this! Let me know how I can help, if you need anything.

I've been researching, and I've found the same things you and Mage mentioned. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything else.

Edit: spelling
atlast

previously AtlasWut

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:09 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

This sounds like an awesome idea, I wish you well with it!

Have you had a look around to see what kind of grants might be available? Local government organisations sometimes have grants towards charity-based projects. Trusts sometimes contribute towards community projects that fall into their niche. It's always worth looking into just to see if there is an option other than paying out of your own pocket.

For the title, having something with 'queer' in it sounds best so far, since that will immediately tell the ideal audience what it's about. The more poetic titles would be good as individual titles for each issue but for the main title ideally it should be bold and professional.
We were born to be amazing.

134 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:39 pm
View Likes
FruityBickel says...

Whoops, thought of a title I really really like.

One of my favorite quotes is "not gay as in happy, but queer as in f*** you"

so i think the title should be: Queer as in F*** You!

thoughts?

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

"Queer as in F*** You!", does sound very punk.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

32 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:28 am
View Likes
atlast says...

I agree with Zolen, "Queer as in F*** You!" is indeed very punk. (That is a wonderful quote, by the way)

I do feel like putting the word "f***" in the title could push away some readers. I, for example, am perfectly okay with swears, but there are definitely people who aren't, so I think that's something to just be aware of.

(Definitely not saying you should scrap it, btw! I actually really like it, just thought I'd bring it up real quick)

edit: words
edit 2: i'm good at changing my mind lol
atlast

previously AtlasWut

92 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 92
Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:35 pm
View Likes
AvantCoffee says...

Love the title (and the quote). Shane brought up that the f-bomb could repel some people (which is a solid consideration)... yet I'm sort of in the mind that the content of this zine would be suited to a readership that would be okay with a swear word in the title anyway? It depends on whether the aim is to attract readers who would already be at home (or mostly comfortable) with the more punkish, harder-edged element of the content, or to appeal more broadly to invite general increased awareness of the types of topics/issues within the zine.

Alternatively you could title it "Queer as in F You!" or some such other censoring, yet that might defeat the point of the punk (not to mention social justice) attitude, but then again maybe that could be fine? Personally I love the title uncensored, but I'm not most people and I know leaving it that way would turn some people off as Shane says.

The zine idea is awesome btw and I love that you're creating this!

32 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:57 pm
atlast says...

@Coffeeism I'm in the same boat you are. I love the title; I think it's a really solid way to sum up the zine. Just thought I'd bring up that some (though, as you said, not too many) people could be uncomfortable with the f-bomb in the title. (Although, I suppose if they were uncomfortable with the f-bomb, then they could just find another zine to read lol)
atlast

previously AtlasWut

I don't have much knowledge about marsupials.
— ForeverYoung