202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 am
View Likes
Blues says...

Sherbet Lemons
Blues Has Made A Mess
Help me clean up please

I don't really know what's going on at all in this novel, but I'm writing this in the hope I'll actually understand what's happening.

Setting
The Sinosphere. Initially thought it'd be in pre-handover HK but research is boooooring and I can do that later, riiiight?

The 4 Big Characters

Haki - For years, Haki has had a cause - he was that teenager painting counter-revolutionary graffiti, swapping the right flags for the wrong ones, and dealing banned books like it's chewing gum. But now, he's free, in the place he's been dreaming of for years, and it's everything he's hoped for. He spends his freedom trying to explore its depths, doing and trying all the things he shouldn't--until the city's dark underbelly pulls him closer.

Ben - Ben is a regular at the gay bar, Venice - which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the fact he's actually a senior official in government... which prosecutes homosexuality. But relations with their larger neighbour are worsening, and despite his seemingly obvious solution, his boss just isn't listening...

Daming - 19 years of money-talk and women have made Daming cynical and homesick. His father is dead and at this point, he just wants to see his ailing mother, eat sunflower seeds and watch the sunset over the farm. If he crosses the border, he knows he'll be prosecuted for all his work against the regime... until he's given an offer: destroy his past legacy for his own, prosperous future. An offer too good to refuse?

Kailin - Her big breakthrough as a journalist is nearly here -- and she has friends in government who are helping her out. But things are getting nastier faster than anyone expects, and no one's realised the situation on the ground has changed before it's almost too late to back out.

NB: Despite my attachment to the name, Haki's name will probably have to change because setting - despite my attachment to it. But I can't see him as anything else...

Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell