z

Young Writers Society

Book of Jaro Phoenix

Reviews: 0
Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:56 pm
sp00kytoenail says...

This story is going to be based upon someone that I know in real life, someone who is in my family and very dear to my heart. Unfortunately, there was an incident that happened between he and I, so I haven't seen him in a few years. But he still means the world to me, so I decided to write a whole story dedicated to him. So, here we go.

Meet my protagonist, Jaro Phoenix: (Full name: Mikael Jaromir Phoenix). He was born to a wealthy family in Basil, a small village on the outskirts of a great kingdom called Grand Raven. However, he was raised by his grandmother in the slums of Wexford. Jaro was a small child when his home was attacked by the barbarians of Tver. The cannibalistic tribe of barbarians that dwelled within the woods claimed his family had built their home on their lands. After numerous warnings and threats, the savages attacked. For fear of her son's life, Jaro's mother hid him in the pantry and kissed him goodbye on the forehead. The barbarians slaughtered his parents while Jaro stayed hidden. When the savages disbanded, Jaro came out and beheld the sight of his parents. Their bodies were prostrate on the floor, their throats slit and insides hanging out. Poor little Jaro didn't know what to do. Too afraid to venture outside of his now empty home, he stayed put until at last a detachment of soldiers found him and brought him to his grandmother in Wexford.

As he was being raised by his grandmother, Jaro participated in cage fighting to earn money. (In his last cage fight at eighteen, he was forced to slay his opponent in the final round.) In his early adulthood, he met the woman who would become his wife. They would have a son named (???). But not long after the boy's birth, Jaro would do something unspeakable and the couple's marriage would fall apart. His wife and child fled in the night, and Jaro woke up the next morning alone. He left Wexford that very day. Now, twenty or so years later, he has not seen his wife or son since. He set out to start a new life, leaving his past behind him, traveling far and wide all across Hjemland. For two decades he roamed the harsh lands, searching for a purpose.

When a stranded young girl crosses his path one wintry day in an unfamiliar place, Jaro reluctantly takes her under his wing. The girl’s name is Briar Grisley and she has been on her own for as long as she can remember. She handles herself well, carrying daggers and a bow. She is much like Jaro, and the two quickly get along and form a close bond. When Briar is kidnapped by bandits for owing a weighty sum of gold, Jaro comes to her rescue and fights them off. He asks her what happened for her to get abducted, and she explains it to him.

The two continue to go on adventures throughout Hjemland.

So, there is a brief summary of my protagonist! I'm not sure what is to come in this story. I'm just going to wing it and see where it takes me. That's really all you can do, am I right??

What do you guys think of Jaro Phoenix? Comment! :)

She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.
— Atticus