Young Writers Society

Before the Dragon

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:01 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Before the Dragon

I'm planning to enter this round of LMS as a rogue, editing a novel I finished a while ago but would like to polish up and hopefully get ready for publishing. My goal is to edit a chapter a week, and since the novel is only 25 chapters long I will continue LMS with editing a second novel - Among the Dragons - which I'm not currently planning on detailing here but is the sequel of this novel, with most of the same characters.

Summary

When she is orphaned as an infant, Jerica Ainsley is forced by her uncle to become the test subject for an experimental drug developed by his closest advisor. Intended to create an elite troop of soldiers that are better and faster than any in the land, the drug causes Jerica to become a fierce warrior. As one of the best weapons in his arsenal, the king forces her into service as his personal assassin. Now a teenager, Jerica finds herself in the midst of a bloodbath that takes a turn for the worse and ends with her being sentenced to face the dragon that lives in a nearby country.

Setting

The novel is set in a universe I created called Beirania. Specifically in the countries of Atra and Niap. Both countries consist largely of desert landscape, and are at war when the novel opens.

Characters

Jerica Ainsley - protagonist. She is the sixteen year old princess of Atra, but is not in line for the throne. Her father was a younger prince and was killed in an attack on the royal family shortly after she was born -- along with her mother and most of the rest of her family. As such she had little protection against the king's head advisor, when he wanted to use Jerica as a guinea pig for an experimental drug he developed to make their army the best in the realm.

She has been taking the drug since she was a very small child and also receiving rigorous training in all kinds of combat. The combination of drug and training has made her one of the best warriors in the whole realm, and the king forces her into his service as the Royal Assassin. She is also General of the Archers in His Majesty's Imperial Army.

Derik Ainsley - supporting character. He is the uncle of Jerica and War Lord of Atra -- he is one of the few people who has her best interests in mind and fights against the king and his advisor's exploitation of his niece.

Rekard Ainsley - supporting character. Jerica's cousin and Derik's son, and General of the Swordsmen in His Majesty's Imperial Army. Strong warrior and carries a lot of responsibility -- generally on Jerica's side in most conflicts.

Levin Ainsley - jerk. Jerica's uncle and the King of Atra. Generally an idiot and simply does whatever his head advisor wants -- which includes unkind treatment towards Jerica.

Lev Ainsley - jerk. Jerica's cousin and Levin's son, crown prince that is heir to the throne. All around a worthless little twat who irritates Jerica for the fun of it.

Lyiaza Ainsley - jerk. Jerica's cousin that was also orphaned in the attack that took Jerica's parents. Bitter that Uncle Derik took more of an interest in Jerica than in her, and does her best to make Jerica's life miserable whenever possible. Gets along with Lev well.

Lord Biryn - antagonist. Managed to wriggle his way into the position of King's Head Advisor, even though he's not from Atra. Knows a secret about Jerica that he exploits to his advantage and generally attempts to make her life as miserable as possible.

Aniasu Femola - jerk. War Lord of Niap, the country they are currently in a war with. Illegitimate prince, older brother of the current King of Niap.

Lesaf Femola - jerk. King of Niap. Has a small part in the novel, but in general has a really low opinion of Jerica and wants to see the worst for her.

Lieutenant General Eloonta - antagonist. Over-eager young official in the Niapian army. Makes himself an enemy in Jerica by terrible treatment of her when he had the opportunity.

Aerik Munen - supporting character. Dragon Keeper and the person who trains Jerica while she's on the mountain.

Kaidren - supporting character. Dragon. Has very little time in this novel, but is an important plot point.

Kieran - supporting character. Jerica's vassal that gets lost in the opening battle and forces her to come to his rescue.

Plot

The novel opens in the midst of a battle between Atra and Niap. Jerica has lost sight of her vassal and is searching for him, when she discovers he's fallen in with a Niapian beast and faces certain death without her interference. She runs to his rescue and slays the beast, but is captured in the process and taken as a prisoner of war.

In the Niapian camp, she meets with the War Council and then is sent back to their capital city to be sentenced by the king. Afraid that fantastical rumors about her might be true, the king decides against executing her and instead sends her to the mountain where the dragon lives.

When she gets to the mountain, instead of being faced with the dragon she meets the Dragon Keeper - Aerik Munen. Aerik agrees to train her, so long as she learns respect and humility -- two things that are sorely lacking from her repertoire as the King's Assassin. He teaches her many practical things, and eventually allows her to return to her home country to be restored with her family.
Last edited by Shady on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:33 am
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

I'm really enjoying this summary! Jerica sounds like an interesting character- have you read Graceling or Fire by Kristin Cashore? They both have similarly powerful MCs! You've clearly got a good grasp on your characters and I'm excited to see where this leads :)
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

935 Reviews

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:04 pm
Shady says...

@StellaThomas Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it :)

Yes, I have read both of those! It’s been a lot of years since I have, but I remember really enjoying them both. I can’t remember for sure, but I think it was just after I read Graceling that I got the idea for this novel (it took many years before I actually managed to write it lol) but it was definitely inspiring... I should re-read those sometime! :)

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

935 Reviews

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:59 am
Shady says...

Table of Contents

Before the Dragon - Chapter 1 (LMS IV)

Before the Dragon - Chapter 2 (LMS IV)

Before the Dragon - Chapter 3 (LMS IV)