z

Young Writers Society

Tempted not to show any more story...

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:37 pm
queenofscience says...

Hey, guys.

Well, I am tempted not to share any more of work on here. It's not the community of people. It's the criticism that I have been receiving. Yes, I have been enjoying everyone's feedback and I'm glad that people think that I've written something pretty original. However, people comment on aspects of my story that I know that I need to work on. I realize this. Right now, I am just worried about getting down my 'skeltons' of ideas, and not too much about grammar, word choise, ect. I'm only showing my story to see what people think of my ideas.

It fusterates me that people act like, "I have no idea what i'm doing. My opeaning sentence is action-packed, and leaves a bit of mytery. After all, professinal writes do this. In my opeaning scene, Phe, my humanoid-bird girl, is getting enlarged by the PREFORM device. Yes, my discripton is very vauge (with a hint of what the surrounding look like) because my scene is so full of action. This scene takes place at World Health Orginization. Phe will be going there later. So, i'm not too worried about describing EVERYTHING in my opening scene. After all, published/e-book authors do this. In fact, there are some authors who are vauge, and they still get information across. People have commited on my style. Yes, it's a bit technical, but i'm going for a 'hard-science/medical' type feel.

It's just....yes, I like/am apprective of feedback, but PLEASE STOP acting like I have no idea as to what i'm doing. After all, everyones criticism is just 'confusing me'. Right now, all I care about is my uideas. People don't act like this is a work in progress. Also, some of peoples commets are because they didn't read everything. Literaly. I state things in the text.

Oh, and I realize that i'm not perfect,but stilk. I have improved. A lot.

Anyone else fusterated about their works. I'm fusterated.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:14 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Hey queenofscience! I'm sorry that the feedback for your novel hasn't been what you're looking for so far. I write novels too and feedback can be frustrating sometimes. What I've found to be most helpful are a few different things:

1. When you post a new segment of your novel for review, include a little authors note at the beginning that includes what kind of feedback you're hoping to get. I agree that in the early stages of writing a story getting feedback about your ideas, plot, and characters is waaaay more helpful than "you need a comma right here". It's 100% okay to tell your readers that this a first draft (or whatever draft it is) and what kind of specific feedback you're looking for. Will everyone adhere to that? No. But, chances are, once your reviewers know what you're looking for and what you want from them, you'll get feedback that is more beneficial to you.

2. When you post a new segment of your novel for review, include a little summary before the chapter starts that outlines what has happened in the novel so far. It's really hard to find people that will read and review every chapter of a novel from start to finish. Including a short blurb (like no more than a paragraph) of what's been happening so far will help people that haven't had the time to read all of the previous chapters and they might be able to give more helpful reviews.

3. Remember that you don't have to agree with every single review and you don't have to do everything that every reviewer suggests. What I do, is I look at all of the comments I've gotten for a chapter or a whole novel and look for themes. Are lots of people saying that my MC is annoying? Are lots of people having trouble connecting with a certain character? Are lots of people saying the voice is flat? Things like that. To me, that gives me a better representation of where the weaknesses are rather than trying to appease every reviewer that happens to come across my story.

Another thing you can do is to check out the will review for food forum and ask some people to read your chapters or your novel. Most reviewers that use WWFF will ask that you give them an idea of the feedback you're looking for so they can be most helpful to you. That might be a good place for you to ask for some great reviews.

And above all else, remember that this is your story. You can do whatever you want with your story because it's yours. If you want vague descriptions, have vague descriptions. If you want a hard science/medical tone and feel, go for it. Write the novel you want to write the way you want to write it. Some people are going to like it and some people won't, and that's okay. What matters most is that you like your story, because if you don't like it no one else will.

Even if you stop posting it here, I hope that you keep working on your story! I've read some of your posts about the plot and the characters and it does sound very interesting! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:17 pm
queenofscience says...

I sent you a PM. Did you recive it.
I am the science and science fiction guru.

The mind is beautiful, yet brilliant. You can think, create, and imagine so many things.

Eugenics= scientific racism.

“Rise like Lions after slumber In unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew Which in sleep had fallen on you— Ye are many—they are few.”
— Mary Shelly