z

Young Writers Society

Names...what do you do?

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:13 am
Dreamwalker says...

I love writing names :). I don't know why but names are one of my favourite part of writing, specifically because you can really give the name a character, instead of the character a name... if that makes any sense. Like, I'll just give them a random name that I don't even care for much, then it becomes so apart of the character that the name itself is something.... awesome. You know what I mean?

I guess my general love of name writing is a little ridiculous anyways xD.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:26 pm
LadyFreeWill says...

Some people take forever thinking about a name for their character, but that's not necessarily because they can't think of any -it's because as writers, we all want the perfect for our characters. If you make the character first -which I think most people do -then it's harder to find the name. Then again, a person's opinion about what type of name is for a nerd, nobody, bad boy, etc., is always different.
I usually think about my character's personality before I give them a name, but sometimes I just string two names together and then develope the character's personality based on what I named them. [shrugs]: It just depends.
Formerly TheScratchMan.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm
LilacSabrie says...

For me? I just choose the names that I think suit them. If that character sounds like a Bob, I name him Bob. I tend to go away from 'meaningful' names because, well, just because my name is also the name of a teenage witch doesn't mean that I'll be a witch too.
A dream is a wish your heart makes-

Oh come now - I may be a cat but I most certainly do NOT bite! *mjau*

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:12 pm
View Likes
Talulahbelle says...

I love baby name books. I keep them one my laptop at all times. (For writing and naming my numerous Sims babies). That way, I'm never at a loss for names. If its a nothing, almost nonexistant character, then I flip to a random page and pick the first name that sounds right. If its a major character and I don't already have a name (I usually create characters based on names) I flip to random pages of the book, read three to five outloud, and flip again until I find something just right.
Last names I have a major problem with. Thank the lord for Google and Top 100 lists.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

May you never steal, lie, or cheat. But if you must steal, then steal away my sorrows. And if you must lie, then lie with me all the nights of your life. And if you must cheat, then please, cheat death.
— An Unknown Bride, Leap Year