z

Young Writers Society

Guys and Dolls

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon May 14, 2007 6:12 pm
Via says...

Awesome, I'll have to go to the book store and look for a book like that.

Another question though...what happens if when I send out my query letters to many agencies I get more than one offer or something? Not that I have huge expectations, I just don't want to screw things up if someone happens to like it haha.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon May 14, 2007 7:02 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Well, if this is after you've sent them your manuscript and they've accepted it, then I suppose you just send the ones of them which you don't want to be represented by a polite rejection letter.

Well that makes sense to me!

-Kaz
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Mon May 14, 2007 9:30 pm
snap says...

When you write the query letter, in the last paragraph, write that you'll be showing it to only one agent at a time. If you get more than one request for your manuscript, send it out to one, and ignore the rest. From their perspective, if you send it out, fine, if you don't, no skin off their nose. Then, if you get rejected, you can send it out to someone else, and so on, until you get accepted. Here's a link to the format for query letters. http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/pub ... book4.html

Sorry, I don't know how to do a not messy link. :)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

694 Reviews

Mon May 14, 2007 9:57 pm
Via says...

Well since it's a children's picture book, a few of the agents want me to send my entire manuscript within the query letter...so doing one at a time is not the most practical I suppose?

14 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 6:47 pm
snap says...

write me wrote:Well since it's a children's picture book, a few of the agents want me to send my entire manuscript within the query letter...so doing one at a time is not the most practical I suppose?

Definitely not the most practical, at least I don't think. Since I haven't done a lot of children's book writing, I'm not quite sure, but then I would assume you would do what was mentioned, and just politely refuse any duplicate offers you get. I found something on cover letters to editors for children's books, I don't know if it'll help. :)

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/minis/mi ... mini4.html
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

694 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 6:52 pm
Via says...

Thanks!

I did stop by borders today and pick up a book called "How To Write and Illustrate Children's Books and Get Them Published" so I'm hoping it will help?

14 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 7:03 pm
snap says...

Those kind of books always have something to offer. :)
~ Robert Cormier

694 Reviews

Tue May 15, 2007 7:17 pm
Via says...

Hmph. What I'm finding with the book is it's really good at telling me what to do with my manuscript, and says nothing with query letters--which was the main purpose in me buying it haha. It may be going back very shortly.

694 Reviews

Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:56 am
Via says...

So I sent in a synopsis of my story (which is only a smidge shorter than the actual story) to WL Writer's Agency......that advertised agency always at the top of the page.

It makes me a little nervous because they claim to be a new agency and that's why they are so 'quick to respond' but they also do mention their location or give a number or anything to their place so I'm not entirely sure I should have sent it in? Lol. But, I suppose we'll see....

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:48 am
Sohini says...

writeme, I think it's brilliant of you tostart getting published.

you say you're an OK artist. personally speaking, I would always aprreciate a children's book ten times as usual if it were illustrated by the author herself. Honestly, you could try illusrating it yourself.
you don't have toi be perfect cuz it's a children's book afterall, just make sure that the drawings are neat and expressive.

trust me, no one can picturize your story better than you yourself.

i did that for my published book (a collection of poems/stories) and boy the illustrating formula worked fantastically. Everyone who spoke to me about my book would never forget to add a line about my drawings. the children at my school came rushing to songratulate me as well.

Try it at least and show it to people who'd critic youw work.
for the cover page, you should go to a professional, but illustatin the book will not only be good but also, tonnes of fun.

Go on in your venture and All the Best with TPP. :smt045
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

694 Reviews

Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:39 am
Via says...

Well, here is my little update for the past few months!

Wrote a few new poems, wrote a few new short stories...I like three of them.

I have a short story and a prose poetry piece being published in the Literary Journal! Woo!

I also have another short story that I have completed and am getting ready to send to The First Line with hopes of it being published in the summer issue!

I still have yet to send our my queries for the children's book...but I'm going too! ...eventually :)

694 Reviews

Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 pm
Via says...

Just won 2nd place in a Poetry Contest for "Didn't Have A Camera This Time" and 2nd place in a Short Fiction Contest for "Angels Fall."

Prize money: $300

Heck yes!

Gravity was a mistake.
— Till Nowak