z

Young Writers Society

The Publishing Process

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:32 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

The title/subtitle pretty much sum it up: How does one get published?

I am aware that you send a manuscript to somebody who becomes your agent, then they send your book to a publushing company, they get reviews to put on the back, you edit with an editor and stuff, then it actually gets published. Then you do book-signing tours and rave over the best-sellers list.

I could be wrong on a lot of that.

My questions:

How do you acually track down an agent?
What is a manuscript and what goes on it?
What did I get wrong on my summary?

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:24 am
Sureal says...

Everything you need to know can be found in this book.

Short version:

- Find an agent in the above book,
- Mail them the first few chapters of your Manuscript (your novel),
- Eventually, if you're lucky and a good writer, one will agree to represent you,
- They'll send your Manuscript off the publishers,
- Again, if you're lucky and a good writer, one will eventually accept it and publish your book,
- You won't get paid much,
- You then give your second novel to your agent, who will give it the publisher, who will publish, this time for a bit more money,
- Rinse and repeat.
I wrote the above just for you.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 am
Snoink says...

Yes... and research! The people don't magically become your agents... they are professional agents already. While you're editing your novel, look up and find out as much as you can about the business. And that book is very much a godsend, I promise. So buy it, if you're about ready to submit your manuscript (if you have one... I think you might?) to the agent. And take your time. You really need to get used to the whole business-side of it.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:51 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Oh, I'm nowhere close to finishing either of my novels, but I will buy it when I get one of my first drafts done.

One more thing:

Do I need to send some form with personal info. to the agent?
I imagine that's in the book too?

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 pm
deleted6 says...

Hmm how about short stories? :)
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:45 pm
Sureal says...

thunder_dude7: Yeah, that goes on a cover letter (I think). Anything related to your writing. That info's in the book I linked to too.

Vernon: Use duotrope's digest to find a magazine/ezine. If you wanna go the extra leg, here's how to format your short story for submission (although any guidelines on a magazine's website trumps this link).
I wrote the above just for you.

Random avatar

Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Thanks, I'll have to buy that book when i start publishing. Thansk for the help!

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain