z

Young Writers Society

Beat to Quarters, Clear For Action

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 pm
Firestarter says...

You know it's a bad sign when trying to locate your previous Writers Corner topic, you have to dig back ten pages. Eep.

Current Projects

Pegasus (working title) -- A historical fantasy novel on the high seas in the year 1804. A collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts being transported back to England from Egypt are stolen en route -- seized by an unknown privateer, which promptly heads for America. HMS Pegasus, a new frigate of 36-guns, is nearest by and is ordered to make chase and take her a prize. However, what appears a straightfoward mission is complicated by new arrivals to the Pegasus, an enigmatic surgeon named Octavius Blake and an egyptologist, scholar and aventurer called Henry Evermore, with his wife, Lucy. As they chase the privateer across the Atlantic, it also becomes clear that it is no normal artifact that has been stolen ...

Updates here!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

Dude, you rule.

I remember when you first started this—is it even the same now?

:D

Can't wait to read what you've got.

Ta,
Cal.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:09 am
Sam says...

This sounds amazing, as usual--how has the sailing research been going?

I can't wait to see some of it posted. ^_^
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:37 pm
Firestarter says...

I decided to make some changes to the whole basic premise of Pegasus. The whole "omg we found a magic artifact in Egypt and there's magicians and schizzle" actually turned out to be lamer than it sounded, and a bit too influenced by Suzanne Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell except with a bit of ocean inserted. So instead I turn to alternate history for my epic story.

The idea is that Napoleon succeeds in invading Britain in 1804 through some extreme luck -- still being worked on, although Latouche-Tréville will not die of sickness in this timeline, and Trafalgar won't happen -- Napoleon takes London and forces parliament to sign a peace treaty. The Crown has already fleed to Canada with most of the Channel fleet, along with several loyalist regiments on hastily grabbed troop transports. Halifax thus becomes the centre of the British Empire. The book will start in 1807, when HMS Pegasus becomes the first ship to be built and launched from this new capital. Elsewhere, the remnants of the Independent Parliament retreats to the Scottish highlands, and revolutions across Britain turns the islands into a Republic under the guidance of France.

zing.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson