z

Young Writers Society

Reaching for the Stars-or something...

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:34 pm
StellaThomas says...

So I asked myself last night, I tell people I'm Stella Thomas, but who is she?

And then she just sort of wandered into my head.

Stella's 14, she's artsy, a writer, well enough liked, but she doesn't have any real friends. She's a girl who seems to have no past, and she doesn't talk a lot.

Fred is a boy the same age as her, who's a paragon of all the virtues, loving, friendly, generous, Stella calls him "boring" but tells him "boring isn't a bad thing". Anyway, he becomes Stella's apparently first real friend and her confidante. She tells him about her past and the things she's seen, why she doesn't like to talk, why she doesn't want friends.

Fred opens up the world to her, introduces her to people she won't talk to by herself and shows her things. They become almost inseparable, and she makes new friends. And all the while, in a little red leather book, she's writing the story of Adelaide and Charles, being "half Stella and Fred, half themselves", who lived centuries before, but whose lives mirror their own.

It sounds really bad I know, but I think it could work. Do you?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:37 pm
Rydia says...

It could but that's only the characters. What's the plot? Why do the two pairs need to meet each other? Is there a lesson for Stella and Fred to learn?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:38 pm
StellaThomas says...

Stella needs Fred because he's the only friend she's got and her only connection to the real world. Fred needs Stella because, well, he needs a purpose. There's a lot of shadow in her past, which I'm not going to go into now... it's all about discovering who she really is and how she really needs friends, she can't survive on her own. Adelaide and Charles are her characters, and her way of interpretating events, a story within a story.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:16 pm
Leja says...

Stella needs Fred because he's the only friend she's got and her only connection to the real world. Fred needs Stella because, well, he needs a purpose.

Whee; now you have drama :D Maybe this connection is tested as the plot?

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:36 pm
StellaThomas says...

It's more about the connection actually coming into existence. Imagine someone completely cut off, in their own little world with only paper and pens for company. That's her. Until Fred takes her under his wing.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:30 pm
TheD2 says...

I don't believe in a story being weird any more, it will all depend on the person who reads it, if it is a story that that particular person reads, they will love it, but if they read oh I don't know, um science fiction for say, the story probably won't appeal to them as much. Now you could right a story of a snow flake falling from the sky and then melting on the ground. Ya, doesn't sound vary exciting, but if you can mend the story, and make it just right, even that person that reads science fiction wouldn't mind reading it. Some will like it, some will not, but remember there is no such thing as a weird or absurd story. They are going to be liked by some one, and many people have similar likings. :D

[quote] "The strong take frome the weak, but the smart take from the strong." -"The Rule of Four."
Without Wax,4114

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.
— Leonardo da Vinci