z

Young Writers Society

Writing Help

602 Reviews

Reviews: 602
Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 am
Wolf says...

Basically, if you've encountered a problem in your writing (ex: Character personality, plot, book title etc) post it here, and other people can offer you advice/suggestions.

I've got some writing problems of my own, but I won't bore you with them...yet. *evil laughter*

Still not understanding this? Here are some questions you can ask yourself:
•Is there a certain something you don't like/think you could change about your setting?
•Do you want feedback on the title of one of your Chapters/books/poems?
•Do you want feedback on, well, anything in your story?

There isn't really any rules...(it goes without saying that you should try to be as polite & helpful as you can) but,
HAVE FUN!
everything i loved
became everything i lost.

Would you like a review?
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic73903.html

602 Reviews

Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:58 am
Wolf says...

Well, since no one else is replying, I may as well tell you my problems...

1. Lately, I'm becoming more and more bothered by my character's name. It's Ayra, for those who don't know...^^ Anyways, I've been thinking of changing it. Any suggestions?
By the way, she's a kind of...well, dark person. Fights well. Keeps secrets. You know?

2. Also, her eyes are currently a dark sea-green, which I don't like anymore...her hair is black, and I just...I dunno. What colour do you think her eyes should be?
I've been considering gold/amber, sapphire blue, pale blue, ice blue...yeah. Help would be appreciated :P
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:17 am
Icaruss says...

Alright, I'll help.

First of all, I like the name. Ayra. Specially if you're writing fantasy, it seems like a nice name. Sounds like it means something. But, if you're really starting to dislike the name, then just head over to one of those name generators and see if you can find something you like. I don't have any suggestion for you, because I wouldn't know what kind of name a character like yours would have, but seriously, I like Ayra.

Second of all, don't worry too much about appearances. I mean, what I like to do, is give very little description of my character's appearances, just key things, like eye-colours, the way they stand, and shit like that. That way, the reader can create their own image of the character, using the basic layout I give to them. Worrying too much about how your character looks kinda makes you miss more important things. Don't worry too much about their hair colour, and eye colour. Seriously.

But, if you do want my suggestion, stop with the weird colours and just go with plain blue, or green. I mean, saphire blue? Pale blue? That just sounds pretentious. You can say her eyes are blue, and then elaborate with a metaphor.

So, good luck. And really, this is a good idea for a thread. Nice.

And also, just to keep things moving:

I'm starting to think all of my characters have the same voice. Suggestions to keep that from happening?
Last edited by Icaruss on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

602 Reviews

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:22 am
Wolf says...

Thanks so much!
hhm...you're right about the description. I could just use some metaphor and leave the reader to come up with the rest. Their own image of her, you know?
Anyways, yeah...the name 'Ayra' means 'Dark Star' in her native language [name for language undecided]. I thought of it one day when a cloud covered the star that I always used to stare at...
By the way, I completely agree with your signature!
everything i loved

Would you like a review?

Who, being loved, is poor?
— Oscar Wilde