z

Young Writers Society

Fake poetry contests

236 Reviews

Reviews: 236
Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:19 pm
carelessaussie13 says...

There are so many websites out there that publish poetry for no entry fee and ask huge fees to see your work published. I know I just entered a poem into one just a few minutes ago, realized how STUPID I was and did research. Indeed, I just entered my poem to a scam web contest. Has anybody had this experience? Please, name names so nobody else makes my mistake. because its not fun.
Thanks. Hope this helps people avoid fake contests.
β€œTo awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:19 pm
Meep says...

I've been lucky enough never to fall for these, but that's mostly because I don't write poetry and I'd rather not publish anything until I know I'm not going to regret it. Anyway, I've heard on numerous occasions that poetry.com is a scam; never tried it myself. There's another young writerly place that pretty much owns the copyright to everything you post. I actually found YWS while looking for a more friendly alternative; can't remember the site name, though.
βœ– I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon