z

Young Writers Society

YWS infringes on your RIGHT TO FREE SPEECH!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 am
Lymphatic_rebellion says...

Now, personally, I'm not going to go and read the YWS rules to see what we all agree not to say in these forums. So if someone wants to they can enlighten me.

HOWEVER, I do know that I disagree with an occurence on the night of April 3, 2006. YWS's very own James T. Frugo, formerly known as Psylynx (who was formerly James T. Frugo) has been BANNED.

The article that I suspect caused his banning is this http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8257.

Read it. See for yourself. Form an opinion, and post it here. Should James T. Frugo have been banned?

I think not. The way he used his questionable diction was not directly offensive to anyone or any group, and was simply an effective way of conveying his message. There was also an appropriate rating of PG-13. Could this be the end of our first ammendment rights? Decide for yourself.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." -Oscar Wilde

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:55 am
Snoink says...

He was banned for other reasons than for just that one. Big Brother is NOT draconian and will give plenty of warnings before banning. A ban is the absolute last resort.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:59 am
Lymphatic_rebellion says...

Ahhhh, sorry I apparently was misinformed. I was unaware of Pyslynx's notorious history. Apparently he HAD been banned, warned, and allowed to return at one point.
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." -Oscar Wilde

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:58 am
Bobo says...

YWS is not equal to America. Or any official government for that matter. Technically, it has the right to take away any of your rights that it wants to, as long as it only applies to this site. Just because you can't swear on a kids' site (note that this site is, indeed, intended for YOUNG writers), doesn't mean your freedom of speech has been revoked. I suppose you're not so adamant anymore now that you know of his history, but still, there's no reason that YWS should be forced to allow swearing. Many forums have filters installed; indeed, YWS is quite liberal in giving you rights where you really need them. I see no purpose in swearing in a public forum for young people.

EDIT: Whoops, I guess I should have read what post you linked to before I ranted. My statement still stands, even though it's not applicable to the linked topic. I think you made a pretty hasty decision to fight against YWS by just assuming that that topic was the reason he was banned.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:02 am
View Likes
Rei says...

Yeah. Freedom of speech is important, but this is a forum for youth, and it has rules. Just like any publisher can choose what it publishes, Nate and the other admins can decide what is appropriate and inappropriate. With a group like this, it has to have an environment where everyone can feel safe and comfortable.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:09 am
smaur says...

Someone once made a very interesting point that, as long as Nate pays for the site, he gets to make up the rules.

Which, I think, is pretty fair.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:17 am
Snoink says...

smaur wrote:Someone once made a very interesting point that, as long as Nate pays for the site, he gets to make up the rules.

Which, I think, is pretty fair.

Shh... you might get him thinking he can tell us to stand on our heads for hours at a time, and THEN we would be in trouble...

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:26 am
Meshugenah says...

All? This is Nate's site, and it's his call. End discussion. If anyone feels the need to debate this, contact a member of Big Brother.

And Snoink, if Nate gets you to stand on your head for hours, get pictures!
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:30 am
Galatea says...

The following is posted in the Moderator's Forum, written by our very own Nate himself:

"Every single person here, or nearly every single person, has said that censorship is a bad thing; it should neither be tolerated nor should it be exercised. But lately I am becoming very concerned about what I see as overzealous moderators.

"Frequently in the world, people make the mistake of considering any opinion that differs from their own as inflammatory and malacious. This is indeed seen frequently in the realm of politics and even college campuses, but it is something that is usually condemned in more rational circles. However, I am now seeing this particular viewpoint take a hold, albeit weak for now, here at YWS.

"When someone expresses an opinion different from your own that angers you, it is important to take a step back and realize that that person's opinion is not necessarily an attack on you. However, this becomes more difficult to do when you have the power to punish that person. As site admin, I have only banned two people: one for plagerizing, the second for making a threat of bodily harm. I have also only sent out two warnings: one for attacking a "newbie," and another for impersonating a moderator. The reason behind so few warnings and bannings (and there certainly has been good reason to issue more) is that for one, I have to first clearly distinguish between my own personal feelings and rational thought, something that is difficult for anyone to do. Also, I do not believe that even people who make comments such as "Hitler is my hero" or "I hate that race of people" should be banned because everyone has the right to their own opinion, which is granted by an individual's natural rights.

"When someone makes a comment such as "My religion is the one true religion" or is merely expressing their own opinion, then there is absolutely no reason to warn that person or even to keep a watch on that person. As far I can tell, BS and Master of Fiction have not done anything that warrants a banning or even a warning. Yes, both have opinions that are markedly different from the rest of the site, but those are merely opinions and rather than using one's power to silence them, one should use their status as a prestigous member of the board to get into why they feel that way or try to get them see something from a different perspective. I am becoming very worried right now that any opinion from the far or center right is not tolerated at YWS, while opinions from the far left are deemed "progessive" or "thoughtful."

"I did not begin this site to silence opinion. I began this site to form a community for young writers, and any good community welcomes discourse and dissent."
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:30 am
Snoink says...

Or, I can show pictures of me being in a full body cast instead, lol.

*is a big klutz*

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:39 am
LamaLama says...

Hey, I know one of the guys you banned. He's the guy that sent me here. *ROLF*

I remember some dealings with psylynx, and I can't say the loss is a great one. He was generally rude and incapeable of accepting constructive criticism.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

915 Reviews

Reviews: 915
Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 am
Incandescence says...

Do you know what happens when you sue the government?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:25 am
Elizabeth says...

Bobo wrote:YWS is not equal to America. Or any official government for that matter. Technically, it has the right to take away any of your rights that it wants to, as long as it only applies to this site.

It's not an equal America, but it sure sounds like some sort of Dictatorship :P

Aww, I love Psylynx, I mean this poem, this post you suggested (with the URL and all), was nasty as heck and I couldn't read all the way through.
I know he argued with everybody and such, hard to get along with but otherwise nice... thing. As LamaLama said, not really open to critisim, he was very wrathful, so if I had nothing kind to say I'd chat about it with him and face him there.

But you're new, I am pretty sure that there is no much more power in you than there is in me, as Bobo said.
Those who run the site are the best of the best at all of this behavioral stuff, I'd let a lot of things slide (Thank God I'm not there).

493 Reviews

Reviews: 493
Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:53 am
Misty says...

Infringes on rights to free speech? Ask us Real Kids veterans, who had to live under the dictator arm of deborah morris. I got banned there for something I DIDN'T EVEN DO. She thought I was impersonating someone, when in fact, that certain someone that I allegedly "made up" actually exists.

I think I'll do a Sam and *kiss Nate's feet* because I've never met a better moderator. :P

And urgh...what a nasty poem.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:00 am
LamaLama says...

Incandescence wrote:Do you know what happens when you sue the government?

No, enlighten me please.
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

i exist in a constant state of confusion so its ok
— veeren