z

Young Writers Society

Understand Me

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:29 pm
Khayriyyah says...

It is very difficult to be an Iraqi in the United States.

All the time I see news about how sucessful the campaign in my country has been. Voting, rebuilding, bringing democracy to the Muslim world. All I can think about is my mother's family in Baghdad and my father's in Tikrit, my two sweet baby cousins I shall never see again, because of American "miscalculations" in bomb trajectory. My friends from schooling and mosque, of whom I know at least one has been killed.

And yet when I mention it, people say things to me about the greater good, and the benifits to the Iraqi people and how happy they are that the United States finally stood up against Hussein.

The Iraqi people? What do they know of the Iraqi people?

They don't know, because they never ask. I say, 'I am Iraqi and I am angry that this has happened', and they are afraid I am a radical. I am a person, and what person would not be angry with the destruction of their home and their family? I apologize for this, but a great deal of my anger with the west comes from the rape of my country and the destruction of my culture.

I am not asking you to agree with my anger, or argue my justifications, but simply to understand why it is so.
~assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh~may the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be with you~

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:06 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Have you considered making a blog?

It would be a far more appropriate place for personal stuff.

I'm going to lock this because this will probably spawn a debate/flame war. If you wish, you can copy this and post this in a blog. They are very easy to construct and YWS members can visit it at their leisure.

*Locked*
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson