z

Young Writers Society

The Egos of YWS

139 Reviews

Reviews: 139
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:28 am
Torpid says...

Look, everyone has had a review they dont like

When authors write, (usually) they 'give' some of themselves to their story. Their thoughts, their time, their effort, their beliefs, etc. etc. Most people know this. So its pretty natural to get a lil POed when somebody comes along and pretty much rewrites your story. Your work of art, your baby. Its really aggravating when critters do this.

I dont know why they do.

One of the points of YWS, i think, is to improve your writing, but not if it degrates you in the process. I try not to shred compositions, I know people who dont and I see those who do, and there are a lot of little arguments that take place because of it. YWS would be better if reviews didn't have to turn negative.

So this small piece of work is to remind people to be nice. And to remind other people not to get so defensive. You dont have to lie guys, and you dont have to argue. Just try, for this community, to be a little more nicer.

Sincerely,
Torpid

p.s. now i feel like a pacifist peacemaker, hehe

Random avatar

Reviews: 99
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:38 am
Niamh says...

I couldn't agree more. There was a time once (not here) when a piece of my work, which is still my favorite piece, was verbally torn to shreds. Because I am more stubborn (than is good for me), it didn't discourage me, but it really did hurt to have someone who couldn't look past the fact that I had made a mere capitalization error, criticize something I hoped would shed light on a particular forgotten event in history. You can help someone with their writing, or share your opnion, without being vicious. In fact, brutalizing someone's work is not going to help at all. If you see no potential for the piece, and care nothing for it, don't say anything. Otherwise, be tactful.
"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself." -- Declaration of Arbroath

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:42 am
Bobo says...

Also, you don't have to teach people every little bit of writing like they're in first grade. If they don't understand, go ahead and explain, but if they do understand and just made a mistake, they don't want a lecture on why their mistake isn't right.

139 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:45 am
Torpid says...

Yea, just keep adding to this thing cause i want people so see it, and stop!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:49 am
Griffinkeeper says...

If a story needs re-writing, then the person doesn't need remedial grammar, they need to learn how to tell a story.

Honest to god; half of my critiques don't even focus on character, they focus on perspective and believability. Grammar and spelling is secondary to me.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:53 am
Jiggity says...

Indeed. I had one such encounter, I was so unprepared, I went into a sulky lil b**ch fit. Ha! I just had to remind myself not to care because I am really good at not giving a s**t. Anyways, Im in agreement, and so I spread this message: SETTLE DOWN, YOU IRRATE HOBO'S!

Peaceful? Thats as far as I go. Just joking. Serioulsy though, y'all should learn to calm down and not take things personally. That goes to critiquers and writers.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

139 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:55 am
Torpid says...

thank u all

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:59 am
sabradan says...

I refuse to lie to help someone's ego. If something is bad, I will say as much. I don't purposely hurt people's feelings, but if people's egos are so fragile that someone they don't know in real life, on an internet forum for writeing nerds hurts their feelings, then so be it.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

139 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:35 am
Torpid says...

its not about that, its kind of about....common courtesy.

i dont want you to lie.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:38 am
Crysi says...

When I critique, I try to find every little way to make it better. I don't want to rely on other people to fill in the blanks. So I apologize if it seems harsh sometimes, but honestly, I'm just trying to help you improve it. I do, however, try to include compliments and a positive summary at the end, which is nicer than a few critiques I've seen, so I do admit that sometimes people can be harsh.

However.

I also feel that some authors are just a bit too sensitive. If you don't want it critiqued, don't post it. We're not here to boost your ego and make you feel like you're the best writer in the world. Yes, you're putting your work and part of yourself out there for the world (or at least the forum) to see, and they won't always like what you've done with a piece. Just remember that sometimes it's a simple matter of opinion. One of the pieces I posted got mixed reviews, both on this site and in my Creative Writing class. Either people liked one part of it or they didn't. You have to remember that you don't HAVE to change anything about your piece. Critiques are just suggestions from other writers, and those writers/editors *GASP* HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS ABOUT THINGS. So my advice is if you don't like a critique, ignore it. Or, if you feel whoever wrote it didn't quite understand your point, then you can explain it. But don't feel you have to argue over every single point - that's idiotic. You're arguing with someone's opinion, and that's like arguing over which flavor of ice cream is better. Just go along with it and take what you can from critiques you receive.

</rant>

Peace, my friends. We're a happy little community here, and as long as we all are understanding and keep open minds, we'll do just fine.
Love and Light

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:38 am
sabradan says...

Nor will I sugar-coat the truth. I am blunt. Some poeple call me an a$$hole. Well, so be it. I'm here to improve, and I would hope everyone else is too.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

139 Reviews

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:43 am
Torpid says...

yes, improvement is good but you can be cool about it. I want both the authors and criters of this site to be alil nicer to eachother, thats all.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:45 am
Snoink says...

Bobo wrote:Also, you don't have to teach people every little bit of writing like they're in first grade. If they don't understand, go ahead and explain, but if they do understand and just made a mistake, they don't want a lecture on why their mistake isn't right.

*is very guilty*
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:53 am
BlueStone says...

[quote="sabradan"]I refuse to lie to help someone's ego. If something is bad, I will say as much. I don't purposely hurt people's feelings, but if people's egos are so fragile that someone they don't know in real life, on an internet forum for writeing nerds hurts their feelings, then so be it.[/quote]

I'm feeling you man... I mean seriously folks, if you want all compliments then print the damn piece out and read it to your younger brother as a bedtime story. When I critique, the bettering of the author's writing is in my mind, not some crap-ass excuse to make people feel better. Go get someone to prostitute for you, and boy will they tell you how good you are. And you'll believe it! Seriously though, writers need chill out and be grateful there are even people who want to read your sh!t. Plus, you expect the editors of your near future in publishing of books to be nice? Pah! Don't get me started on what the publisher may think of your waste of time. Unless you have a natural talent, expect to take it in the @ss for awhile until you are a respected writer.
away

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:31 am
Bobo says...

This isn't about writers taking things too personally, it's about critiquers that show blatant disregard for the writers' feelings. You SHOULD sugar-coat the truth, not by making it seem less important or anything, but by pointing out the good IN ADDITION TO the bad. If you give some positive feedback, then the writer feels less hurt and is more willing to listen. By being blunt to the point that the writer feels that his or her work is just garbage because of its numerous mistakes and an apparent lack of redeeming qualities, then they're either going to be terribly discouraged or they're going to get angry and refuse to listen to your advice--thus effectively killing the original intent of your critique.

And that is the point, you guys--if you don't critique in a way that people will be able to accept it without feeling personally attacked, then you might as well not critique at all. If you really care about helping people improve, then give them something they can swallow--after all, as Mary Poppins taught us, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down."

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier