z

Young Writers Society

Proud to be English.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:17 pm
Firestarter says...

I switched on the TV today and was amazed, I was watching the Commonwealth Games 2006 from Australia. There were these 5 young lads pictured below who had just won a Bronze medal in the team Gymnastics, this was a brilliant achievment as only two of the team had ever competed before on a world stage such as this. I was amazed though and even got goosebumps as I watched as multi cultural English men and English women represented England the country. Not England the forgotten, the un-represented, the silent tax machine, the racists etc etc . It felt good seeing the St George Cross being proudly worn by the team members, being shown as their country's flag on the monitors, or displayed next to their names.

I think this is what the English people are trying to say to Gordon Brown, Tony Blair, Lord Falconer and the rest of Nu Labour. It feels good, it feels right to be proud of where you were born, to grow up and represent your country and to see your country's flag represented. I am sure that the Scottish and Welsh feel the same patriotic sense of pride aswell. I am English, it's not my fault I was born here and am proud when any English team wins at sport. I am also proud of my country when it is not about sport.

I am also British but that was brought about by a bunch of politicians signing some agreement with our neighbouring Celtic cousins, it was about money. Plain and simple. That is the difference. The government are only trying to 'push' being British so as to integrate the different multi cultural races that have poured into this overcrowded island of Britain. I don't resent them trying to gain more political votes by hiding the fact that most of the government are Scottish and that they have ignored and become embarrassed by England.

I am not a politician, I have never voted before in my life, I work hard and have never been in trouble with the law (ok a few traffic fines). I am amazed that recently when I spoke of England I was branded a right wing nationalist and racist. I hate nobody, I dont really give a stuff if the politicians have decided to 'protect' Scotland and Wales by giving them their own parliaments and using English tax payers money to do it. There is nothing I can do about it. You can tax me until you are blue in the face and then waste my hard earned cash in the millions, you can ignore me discriminately and politically. But you can NEVER take away my sense of loyalty to the place I was born.

I felt good this morning seeing England represented correctly and as it should be. You can't take that away either.

Legend. Pure and simple. IN-GER-LAND!
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:25 pm
LamaLama says...

Um... way to be?
Beware of the scary banana fingers! For they are mushy, and yellow.

I will change my sig whenever another member asks me too. (please request publicly) Last change: Nov. 12 by: Griffinkeeper

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:30 pm
Crysi says...

That's awesome. I still have to correct Mesh sometimes when she says Britain and means England. This argument totally makes sense, too. Way to be independent! Learn from the Americans, why dontcha. ;)
Love and Light

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:33 pm
Meshugenah says...

This is really cool.. and I do not say that! jeesh, miss POTC binger.

and ditto crys's last :P
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:36 pm
Firestarter says...

*rolls eyes*

There were people who were independent before America, y'know. Just as there was a history before America. Just a reminder.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:41 pm
Ego says...

Indeed, I believe England was a power long before America ever existed...it's not their fault their island is teeny tiny...
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

594 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:42 pm
Crysi says...

Aye, but the majority of early Americans were from England. So I just thought you should catch up. ;)
Love and Light

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:02 pm
-KayJuran- says...

w00t! GO ENGLAND!!!

Dono:: how does it matter if England is smaller than America? It doesn't mean we're any less great. :P Oh and if you're talking about the whole island... that's Britain, not England. The 'island' technically consists of England, Wales and Scotland. :wink:

Hehe.

*waves flag*
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 pm
sabradan says...

Crysi wrote:Aye, but the majority of early Americans were from England. So I just thought you should catch up. ;)

Actually, other than the original settlers, most were either German, or Scots-Irish (also known as Ulster-Irish)
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:28 pm
-KayJuran- says...

sabradan wrote:
Crysi wrote:Aye, but the majority of early Americans were from England. So I just thought you should catch up. ;)

Actually, other than the original settlers, most were either German, or Scots-Irish (also known as Ulster-Irish)

Yeah! We learned about the German Siedlers in our German lesson!! :P
"There you go - sausages à la bread!" - Blue.

594 Reviews

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 pm
Crysi says...

I was talking about those who first settled, actually. Trust me, I know the statistics - I'm in AP History and they don't let you even start the class without knowing, lol. Guess I just think of "early Americans" as those who settled there, and everyone after that are just Americans.
Love and Light

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:30 am
Bjorn says...

Much like the English in turn are a Germanic race.

You know, I was going to mention that the cross of St.George is in the Commonwealth games here, remembering Firestarters earlier topic of the similar sort. But it seems I have been beaten! On a side-note, I might mention that it occured to me only recently that the cross of St.George is indeed in the British flag! Please do not mock me (go ahead and laugh), but it's just one of those obviously obscure things you sometimes just don't notice, until you eventually do with a big knock on the noggin!

And finally-Australia is just kickin everyone in the loins! How much medals do they have now? 140-something? Canada isn't too far behind...
Killing For Peace Is Like F#@%ing For Chastity
Revolucija Je Sada! Revolucija Je Stobom I Svima! Revolucija Je Uvijek-Zivi Uz Revolucije I Budite Slobodni!

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:01 am
Nate says...

Firestarter wrote:*rolls eyes*

There were people who were independent before America, y'know. Just as there was a history before America. Just a reminder.

Yeah, there was a history before America, but that doesn't mean it mattered ;)

Just joking of course. In any case, it's good to read about patriotic feelings coming back to many these days. Seems like the entire English speaking world is being caught up in it from Australia to the United States. For myself, I'm proud to be American and of my Scottish/Italian/Irish/German heritage :)... but mostly that Scottish bit

594 Reviews

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 am
Crysi says...

Ooh, nice one Nate. :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my Irish background. I'm pretty sure I'm over half Irish... Well, maybe. My mom would know. I'm definitely over a quarter Irish. I'm also German, Scottish (Scots-Irish, I think) and... well... English. So yeah.
Love and Light

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:51 am
Elelel says...

:lol: You countries who bother with being patriotic are so funny. Patriotism is for foreign people.

And finally-Australia is just kickin everyone in the loins! How much medals do they have now? 140-something? Canada isn't too far behind...

*grins* We grab the glory while we have the chance! To many countries can beat us in the Olympic Games.

For me, the best moment in the Commonwealth Games was when the South African womens basketball (or netball, I wasn't paying much attention before the Moment) beat us and were just so happy they started rolling on the ground laughing. It was great to see that.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

trust your heart if the seas catch fire (and live by love though the stars walk backward)
— E.E. Cummings