z

Young Writers Society

Being a Man

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:49 pm
Galatea says...

I was recently cast in my first britches role, as Peter Quince in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Now, being the complete vacuum of masculinity I am, I'm asking for tips and advice on how to walk, talk, move, emote and behave like a man.

Also, if anyone has any tips on binding and drag work, that would be really helpful too. Thankies!
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:02 pm
Zion says...

Wanna be UBER male? Hold on sweetheart, this is a though one...

Keep your head up! Shorten your temper! NO EMPATHY! Stand tall, throw your sholders back! LESS EXPRESSIONS ON YER STINKIN FACE! No hoodley-doodely loving and all that similar crap! If a puppy drives you mad, KILL IT! When someones bitches you, punch him in the nose! And most importantly, NO WHINNING! BE MACHO!
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:13 am
thegirlwhofateloves says...

:shock: Arvy stop - you're scaring me!
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

94 Reviews

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:52 pm
Zion says...

Nothing to be scared off, welcome to Real World hun....
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:47 pm
Bobo says...

Gosh, Arvy, you have a pretty crazy interpretation of what a man is. Of course, I think you hit dead on what most guys are like, so I'm not complaining. I personally am pretty much gender-neutral (gender is sociological, not biological), so I'm not the best source for information.

But it's not just how to be a man, but how to play your character.

128 Reviews

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:44 pm
Galatea says...

Thanks for that insight, Bobo. My problem is the inherant masculinity of my character. As a woman, this is a challenge for me.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

94 Reviews

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm
Zion says...

Bobo wrote:Gosh, Arvy, you have a pretty crazy interpretation of what a man is. Of course, I think you hit dead on what most guys are like, so I'm not complaining. I personally am pretty much gender-neutral (gender is sociological, not biological), so I'm not the best source for information.

But it's not just how to be a man, but how to play your character.

I know bobo, I too am Gender neutral when it comes to those things. I pointed out how the so called "majority" of males acts today, the stereotypical male. Now if she wants to be a "modern" man...hm....I guess we should need to cut out some things and add something new.

For example, he has to be protective, curteous, not TOO talkative and have a semi-misterious aura. Of course, the physical stuff (shoulders back, head up high and all those stuff) have to be done. Also, he has to have charm and some pride and arrogance. Note though, the arrogance is subtle.

lol I hope, I wont be missunderstood....again :P :lol:

Immanuel Kant

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:31 pm
Rei says...

To start off, it would probably be simpler to do all the normal prep work you would do regardless of the gender. After that, some of the stuff woulf probably just fall into place. At least that has been my experience. It is true that men are often less empathetic and less touchy-feely. In terms of getting the physicallity and voice, part of it should come from learning about the character. Another really helpful way would just be simple observation. Look at how real people who are similar to your character talk and move.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:59 pm
View Likes
sabradan says...

Some "physical" things:
-Head up. Men are proud creatures, and we show and act full of pride, even when we feel like crap.
-Shoulders back. Again having to do with pride, as well as aggressiveness. It says "Cmon, mess with me. I dare you."
-When women walk, theyre butts shake. NONE OF THIS. Walk straight. One leg after the other, yet parallel to each other on the ground. WIDE BASE IS KEY. For example, when women walk, they put one foot in front of the other, literally, thus causing their butts to shake. When men walk, they do not actually put one foot in front of the other, our feet are parallel to eacch other. Basically when trying to learn the walk, imagine you have a penis dangling in between your legs, and then walk. That should be easiest, but i dunno, because well, I've never had to IMAGINE one, eh?

Some attitude things:
-Aggressiveness. The thing that makes men men is testosterone. Testosterone increases aggressiveness. You don't necessarily need to be mean and angry, but if for example, one character pissed your character off, get in their face. Throw a few punches. That type of thing.
-Competitiveness. We men compete in EVERYTHING. Even the traditionally non-competitive types. We compete in everything from food, to clothes, to cars, to women, to school, you name it, we compete over it. If you add a sport into the mix, watch out.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:14 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

First, CONGRATS Gal! I myself have been cast into quite a few britches' roles.

Dan, and Rei seems to have covered everything I could think off.

Break a leg and merde.

CL.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:04 am
Nate says...

I'm fairly sure that Arvy got it completely wrong...

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 am
Meshugenah says...

My friend had to wear a potato in her pants to learn how to walk like a guy during rehersals..
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

128 Reviews

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:43 am
Galatea says...

LOL, Qi made me stuff socks in my undies to try and get me to walk like a man. It didn't work so well.

Unfortunatly, all the character prep that I have done (and believe me, I'm no stranger to character work. This is my first britches role, not my first role ever...) isn't enough to rid myself of my more feminine qualities. So, I'm looking for lay-persons to give me an idea of what traits the common people percieve as 'masculine'. All the facial hair and bound breast in the world won't make a lick of difference if I can't stop walking like a woman.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:01 am
Crayon says...

Ha ha, just do the opposite of everything you do now, burp, scratch, fart and play with yourself in public. Even if you do that normally!
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 am
sabradan says...

Galatea wrote:LOL, Qi made me stuff socks in my undies to try and get me to walk like a man. It didn't work so well.

Unfortunatly, all the character prep that I have done (and believe me, I'm no stranger to character work. This is my first britches role, not my first role ever...) isn't enough to rid myself of my more feminine qualities. So, I'm looking for lay-persons to give me an idea of what traits the common people percieve as 'masculine'. All the facial hair and bound breast in the world won't make a lick of difference if I can't stop walking like a woman.

Perhaps if you tell us what exactly you need more help/clarification on, we could better help you. Help us help you, Gal.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own.
— Chinese proverb