13%
Grey.
88%

Total votes : 24

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:35 pm
Rei says...

I'm no expert, but some of the spellings (which are not entirely phonetic as we would wish our language to be) may also be remnants of French spelling, since English was originally formed by combining Anglo-Saxon and French.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:42 pm
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:Bah! English spelling stinks! There is no 'u' anywhere in color.

But I'm with the grey caucus on this issue. Not sure why, but gray just does not look right. Probably for the same reason I spell 'defense' as 'defence' and often spell words that have a 'z' with a 's' instead; the Economist and Financial Times. It's too bad the US does not have any good news mags...

But I will never ever spell color with a 'u.' And women should be spelled wimmin.

I have to go with you here. I mean, I love the simplicity of American spelling (after all, remember, we *were* the ones who came up with the dictionary!) but yet... gray just doesn't look right to me, and the more I think about word choicing and everything, it just appears to be more awkward.

So... es interesante...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:31 am
Zelithan says...

grey!
and i don't care if it is english or american. grey just looks good. e beats a!
*a needs an icepack now

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:56 am
deleted6 says...

How about this Gray for a name of someone and Grey as the colour, cause Gray like this looks better as a name of someone. Then both parties win. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:24 am
Firestarter says...

after all, remember, we *were* the ones who came up with the dictionary!

What? That's just plain wrong.

Technically the first "dictionary" is thousands of years old.

If we are talking about modern accepted versions, Samuel Johnson's dictionary in 1755 (before America properly existed ...) came way before Webster's of 1806.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:55 pm
sabradan says...

I live in America, but use a combination of British and American spelling. I use "grey", but not "colour" "armour" or anything of that sort. But I do spell defence "defence" and that sort of thing. What can I say, I'm weird.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Random avatar

Reviews: 681
Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:04 pm
Sponson Light says...

Theiur spelluing of colour and armour is weuird.
hau.

I actually use both gray and grey.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, instead, you should read every single book to see what every book is about before you even come close to judging its viability.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:20 am
Fishr says...

I've always been taught to use 'gray' by teachers. It's automatic for me to spell it this way when I'm typing.

Grey<= Too awkward to use, let alone typing it. :?
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and THEN do your best.
— W. Edwards Deming