Cartoon Protests in Pakistan Leave 3 Dead

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 am
View Likes
Nate says...

ABC News

RIAZ KHAN

PESHAWAR, Pakistan Feb 15, 2006 (AP)— Gunfire and rioting erupted Wednesday as tens of thousands of people took to the streets in several Pakistani cities during the country's third consecutive day of violent protests over the Prophet Muhammad cartoons. Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old boy.

More than 70,000 people flooded the streets of the northwestern city of Peshawar, said Saeed Wazir, a senior police officer. The massive crowd went on a rampage, torching businesses and fighting police, who struck back with tear gas and batons. A bus terminal operated by South Korea's Sammi Corp. was torched, police said.

Protesters burned a KFC restaurant, three movie theaters and the offices of the main mobile phone company in the country. A Norwegian mobile phone company's offices were also ransacked. Gunfire was heard near the burning KFC, as police tried to clear people from a main street, witnesses said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=1621060

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:07 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Okay, so these protests have been going on for weeks now, but I guess the absurdity of it never hit me until I saw a picture of some men towing Ronald McDonald through the streets of Lahore on the front page of the Washington Times today.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:24 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I saw that picture.

What did Ronald McDonald do to them but smile?
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

the only theft here is of decency when carina decided to rob me of my pride and put me on a banana
— veeren