z

Young Writers Society

When Englishness becomes Britishness

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:04 pm
Firestarter says...

Some things to mull over, although it might make less sense if you're not British ...

- Why do Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have a parliament but England does not?

- Why can Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs vote on matters that only affect England but the reverse does not happen?

- Why do Scotland and Wales have a unique identity but English people are simply considered British?

- There's a Tour of Britain cycling tournament every year that consists of different teams from the home nations. There was a Scottish and Welsh team
and a GREAT BRITAIN team, which consisted of English riders. Wait ... what happened to the English team?

- Why is itfrowned upon to be proud of being English, but is it accepted if you are Scottish or Welsh and are proud of your nationality?

Englishness is dying.

So, if you're English, I want you to stand up and be proud of being ENGLISH, and show it. Don't just show your flags at sports tournaments. Show your flags all the time! They do it in Wales and Scotland. It's like people are afraid of being proud of being white, because it's supposedly "racist". The same thing has happened to being ENGLISH.

Hence my patriotic avatar and signature. If Wales and Scotland don't want to be British, than neither do I.

Links:

Campaign For An English Parliament

English Democratic Party

About English Identity and Saint George
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:23 pm
Swires says...

I AM ENGLISH

Yes I totally agree with you on this one. In my ENGLISH lesson the other day our teacher asked us what our nationality was, I was the only one who replied with "ENGLISH". And yes it is frowned upon to be proud of being english.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:43 pm
Emma says...

Scottish dislike the English! Well... in my school they do! They don't want anything to do with the English. Yeah, but I do see what your saying... but if someone says Britain; don't you automatically think of England? O___o;

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:47 pm
Firestarter says...

That's the point though Emma, English has become erroneously synonymous with British while the Scottish and the Welsh have nationalities of their own. It's Blair's New Labour policies that are killing English culture and pretending it doesn't exist.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

614 Reviews

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:00 pm
Swires says...

I hate new labour really

Labour Policy one: Do everything america tells us two

Labour Policy two: We dont care what millions dont want, well do it anyway. (Fox Hunting Ban)

Labour Policy three: Speak with an annoying voice and use silly hand gestures.

Talking about dictatorships, this post is costing me lol!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:13 am
Fool says...

Scottish dislike the English!

Im scottish....i dont dislike the English, i rather like them.

I am proud to be Scottish, And i know a few people who always say they are English rather than British, i see what your getting at though...
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

I don't suffer from stress. I am a carrier.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:37 am
-KayJuran- says...

hmm.. i see what you're saying here. i once said i was 'English' for nationality, and my friend said something along the lines of "no, you're not - you're British" and something about racism etc. but why shouldn't we be proud of being English..?

by the way, fire, did you know that 'Englander', underneath your name, is German for an English person? is that why you put it, or is it an English word as well, and i just haven't realised?

~KayJuran~

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:02 pm
Myth says...

Being British doesn't mean you're English. If someone is bron in Britian it menas they are British and not English, you may have German or whatever parents and be British-born but not English.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:36 pm
Bobo says...

From an American perspective, I have to say that it's true that most people equate British with English. I just found out, what, yesterday? that Britain is England, Wales, and Scotland (did I get that right?) and not just another name for England. If I am mistaken, please educate me on this topic. You'd think American's would know a bit more about where we all came from, wouldn't you?

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:42 pm
Myth says...

Northen Ireland is also part of Britian, or are we always forgeting that?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm
Emma says...

Fool wrote:
Scottish dislike the English!

I'm scottish....i dont dislike the English, i rather like them.

I am proud to be Scottish, And i know a few people who always say they are English rather than British, i see what your getting at though...

Well... most, heh! In this R.E class we were talking about Racism and the teacher went on about they wanting more people to move to Scotland and kids shouted out that they didn't want the English joining. Honestly, I felt myself going lower and lower into the chair trying to hide myself.

I also heard that there was some place in England there is these people that don't think of themselves as English and that they ARE ashamed for being it so they deny that they are.

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:02 pm
Nutter says...

I was born in Inverness, and moved down to Cornwall about 14 years ago. I'm extremely proud to be English. I seem to have a fairly unambiguous accent, and as such, I sound fairly posh down here. Still, any eventuality I can say I'm English, I will. Because being English is a state of mind to. At least, that's what I think :D

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:27 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

*dances* yes I am english and I ROCK!
lol actually, that's a very valid point...and it's all rather odd...BUT, having said that, we do have English rugby (yay!) and football (boo!) teams...
I don't know how that's relevent, but it made sense in my little head :D
Oh, and whoever said labour sucks (or along those lines) I agree - Tony Blair is a complete girls blouse, and as for old Gordy back there taking over...well, I think I can safely say I will most definitely NOT be voting for Labour when election time rolls around. Is it just me or is his mouth a bit funny? He was at my college last week...I hid from him. Seriously, the man scares me!
But that's not the point...*ahem*.... :D
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:31 pm
Firestarter says...

Northen Ireland is also part of Britian, or are we always forgeting that?

No, it's not.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Great Britain refers to an island that consists of England, Scotland and Wales.

England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom (of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

Please don't correct me on my own country, I know what I'm talking about.

So Bobo's right.

614 Reviews

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:06 pm
Swires says...

I say there is need for a song.....<cue orchestra>

Land of Hope and Glory
Mother of the Free
How shall we extol thee
Who are born of thee?
Wider still and wider
Shall thy bounds be set
God, who made thee mighty
Make thee mightier yet...
God, who made thee mighty
Make thee mightier yet.

The ENGLISH Anthem!

We are all broken. That's how the light gets in.
— Ernest Hemingway