z

Young Writers Society

In (desperate) need of assistance.

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:53 am
Doctor Kitty says...

I have a Speech and Drama competition on Saturday, called TAPPS. (I forgot what it stands for.)
At TAPPS, I was planning on performing this piece: http://www.geocities.com/foxfire321/audition.html
This piece can be found many other places on the net as well.

However, the (ridiculous) people at TAPPS have decided to add a new rule...

Each piece must be accompanied with complete publication information. Meaning, all your pieces need to be from some kind of collection book or whatever. This is incredibly disappointing, as I'm sure that there are thousands of great monologues and whatnot out there that haven't been included in some collection book, but are still great.

The monologue I chose three weeks ago is one of those monologues. The competition is Saturday. I already have it memorized. I know exactly how I want to perform it. I know all the emotions I want to express. I know all the actions that I'd like to perform while I'm acting. I know it.

If anyone knows any publication information about "The Audition" by Matthew Calhoun, please, I am in desperate need of help.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:01 am
Areida says...

I don't know anything about that piece, but I think TAPPS stands for "Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools" unless you're talking about a different one. It's basically the UIL of private schools and homeschoolers, no?

... Anyway, random tidbit there.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:39 am
tinny says...

try www.dogpile.com
I've been told there's a function there that will let you find out things like that. If you type in a sentance of the publication it comes up with details about it. Someone in my German class was using it for her coursework to find out where her sources came from. I've never used it myself but I hope it's usefull for you ^^
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

128 Reviews

Reviews: 128
Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:29 pm
Galatea says...

If it's only availible online, then site the online source. If it's avalible otherwhere, you should be able to find it.

By the by, it's not an arbitrary rule. It's to ensure that younger competetors don't get it in their heads to write their own 'cuttings'.
Sing lustily and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but lift up your voice with strength.

Random avatar

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:02 am
Doctor Kitty says...

That's the problem. The ****ing competitiont is apparently trying to eliminate online sources. All I can find is people putting the piece on their website and saying that Matthew Calhoun is the author. That's it. And when I search up Matthew Calhoun, I get Mr. Calhoun, the B52 bomber pilot, Mr. Cahoun, the psychologist, Mr. Calhoun, chairman of some board, Mr. Calhoun, crazy drunken teenager stabbed three times at a party. And it keeps on going. And won't stop.

By the by, it's not an arbitrary rule.

Mmmm...If it wasn't an arbitrary rule, I wouldn't be having the problem I'm having right now. Unless my teacher is mistaken, I'm screwed. The competition is in one day, and the piece that I instantly loved will get me DQed. My last performance was a flop; I had no idea what I was doing, and now I can' t do anything at all.

Damn. Damn, indeed. TAPPS doesn't like me. I would just drop it, but they assigned me another event without asking me. I love my school.

EDIT: I apologize for the brashness of this post. I am very stressed out right now.

Random avatar

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:44 pm
Doctor Kitty says...

Double-Post...Sorry.

Okay. I'm at peace now. I never found the publication, but I'm at peace.

Thanks to everyone to attempted to help, and sorry for being so sarcastic with my response, Gal.

Thanks, everyone. ^^

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven - and very, very few persons.
— James Thurber