z

Young Writers Society

Some Important Changes Coming...

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:34 pm
Nate says...

Very soon, I'll be doing the biggest update to YWS in months. This update will consist of two items:

1. By January 18th (EST), it will cost 15 points to make a post in The Lounge, Randomness, Entertainment, and Writing Activities.

2. My YWS: In addition to the frontpage, there will be a new "My YWS" page. On this page, you will be able to access your pms, see what topics you are watching, and have easy access to things like changing your avatar, updating your profile, and changing your settings. This should be up and running by Feb. 1. If you have a suggestion to what should be on the YWS page, you can make it here.

Depending on how it goes, item #2 may be delayed as it is a very substantial addition.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:56 pm
Elizabeth says...

Why does it cost to have FUN now?
I can understand the games, but everything else?

That isn't ... *just disaggrees and walks away*

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 pm
Bobo says...

TBR, why are you so worried? You have, right now, 35246 points. That means you'd have to post MORE POSTS than you already have, all of them in the lounge; each time you post in a literary forum or usergroup, you'll have to post three and a third more times in the lounge to even it out.

Anyway, Nate, are you going to give new members a few points to start with so that they don't feel restricted? Or do we get points for posting in the welcome forums?

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 pm
Emma says...

I don't like the idea. I comment on stories, of course, you know I do... but I can't all the time because I just haven't got the time! <___<; I don't like the idea to be honest. At the moment anyone can tell I hardly post (as much) as I used to! I just... can't. I like the second idea though... fun.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:12 pm
Teeeeo. says...

Do you mean 15 points to post a reply?
Or to make a new thread?

481 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:19 pm
Bobo says...

To post at all, as in reply or new topic. Nate has to refresh me on this, but I think that you get points in any literary forum, which includes the art forum, storybooks, etc. Furthermore, almost anything you post there of substance will be an instant 50 points, which is three and a third posts anywhere else. A lot of the older members here have a huge collection of points, and since this site is made with the intention of helping people learn to write, it only makes sense that most people should be spending enough time in the literary forums that it would be easy to post as much as they want anywhere else. If you're not posting at all in the literary forums, then maybe you should remember your civil responsibilities and be more helpful to your fellow writers... as if I'm one to talk lol.

The point is that this really shouldn't make much of a difference to most people, and it will be a greater incentive for us to do what this site was intended to have its members do.

Did that make sense to anybody?
Last edited by Bobo on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:47 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I do not like this. Because number one I really do not have a lot of time to write and have had writers block for a while. I also never have enough time to review anything because I have a lot of homework and I am lucky if I can spend a good half an hour on here each day.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

481 Reviews

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:49 pm
Bobo says...

It takes thirty seconds to read and review a poem or a really short story. One review usually gets you at least 35 points easily, and 50 points doesn't take much more. If you'd spend just 5 out of your 30 minutes posting in any literary forum, you'd be set for the day.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:55 pm
Nate says...

To be honest, TBR, this is not something that I entirely agree with either. However, almost all of the moderators are in agreement on it, and I've decided to try it out. I will emphasize that nothing is permanant. If I do not see any beneficial effects resulting from this change within a month, it will be scrapped. Even if nothing changes, it will be scrapped. I've resisted the notion of making members pay to post in The Lounge, but what's happening now is that some members are spamming and that's driving other members away. So I've decided to test out the idea to see what happens.

With regards to other questions...
- The 15 points per post applies to topics as well. Like posts, starting a new topic will cost you only 15 points.
- All new members will start off with 150 points.

Also, keep in mind that points are not being reset! Emma, I don't understand your concerns since you have over 13,000 points. You would have to make 900 consecutive posts in just The Lounge, Randomness, Entertainment, or Writing Activities. And remember, you can get points as well for participating in usergroups.

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:09 pm
Ego says...

Thank you, Nate. THANK YOU for trying this out.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:17 pm
backgroundbob says...

I must say I'm very unhappy with this.

For one thing, it has the possibility to increase the spam level - you're going to get people who need points to enjoy messing around, so we'll start seeing more of those "wow I loved it" posts. God knows what a great lot of constructive criticism *those* contribute.

Secondly, it smacks of just a tad of elitism; sure, we want people who crit a lot, but if you choke off the people who just hang around for a laugh, you'll kill off the lounge and randomness and the rest of it. It'll start looking like the VIP room...

It just seems so unneccesary: why are you bothering? It's not like tons of posting in those forums is a problem. On the contrary, you should be happy it happens there, and doesn't spread to other sections. I don't see how clamping down on the entertaining side of the forum will help any part of the site.

Anyway; it's not like I'm a mod, or anything, but this is my official complaint.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:51 pm
Crysi says...

backgroundbob wrote:I must say I'm very unhappy with this.

For one thing, it has the possibility to increase the spam level - you're going to get people who need points to enjoy messing around, so we'll start seeing more of those "wow I loved it" posts. God knows what a great lot of constructive criticism *those* contribute.

We've discussed that issue, and the mods will be watching for posts like those. Don't worry, we still have the same rules on that.

Secondly, it smacks of just a tad of elitism; sure, we want people who crit a lot, but if you choke off the people who just hang around for a laugh, you'll kill off the lounge and randomness and the rest of it. It'll start looking like the VIP room...

It just seems so unneccesary: why are you bothering? It's not like tons of posting in those forums is a problem. On the contrary, you should be happy it happens there, and doesn't spread to other sections. I don't see how clamping down on the entertaining side of the forum will help any part of the site.

Anyway; it's not like I'm a mod, or anything, but this is my official complaint.

The thing is, this is a writing site, so people who continue to spam the boards with random topics and never contribute AND start criticizing older members for being too strict end up annoying the members who are serious about writing. It's not hard at all to get 50 points in a usergroup or a review. People who claim to not have time to review obviously don't have time to mess around in the Lounge or Randomness forums.

Just give it a chance. If by the end of the month you still don't like it, you'll have the right to complain. But in my eyes it's not something impossible to live with and should improve the quality of the forums.
Love and Light

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:58 pm
Ego says...

I agree...it's not elitist. It's a writing site, and therefor people are expected to WRITE...if people join a writing site intending to screw around...thats just silly.

At YWS, we want people that'll contribute to the site...not drag it behind. It's kinda like the military. youy may not be GOOD at killing, or following orders, are undisciplined, but we'lll help you with that. Letting people go around doing nothing helpful is actually hurting the site, much like giving a civilian a gun and calling them soldiers. Just because they CAN fight and shoot a gun, doesn't make them soldiers. The drvie to defedn their country, and to help others is. Just because someone CAN pick up a pencil and write words doesn't make them a writer. The drive to write does. Those who don't write, or don't want to even REAd and COMMENT on others' writing....honestly have no place here.

Just my honest opinion.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:22 pm
Sam says...

This is a WRITERS' site, not a total party site. If you don't have time to critique, then wait till you have time and don't come on until then! It's fairly simple. If you don't have time, don't participate at all.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

I don't mind a party. However, literary forums are great stuff for reviewers or writers. Storybooks are one of the greatest ways to earn points on this site, it offers you a chance to work with other writers and be creative. You don't have to worry about other characters, only your own.

How many people have gotten writers block because they don't know how your character would respond?

Anyway, it is a test.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour