z

Young Writers Society

On Bad Writing (Some hilarious suggestive language)

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:18 am
Nai says...

For this thread, mention any kind of published literature you think is absolutely horrible, and try to say why.
Last edited by Nai on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

43 Reviews

Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:22 am
Nai says...

Well, I actually have one right now.

This is from the book Eldest by Christopher Paolini

"In that secret place, Eregon felt suddenly close to Arya, and all his passion for her sprang to the fore of his mind. He was so intoxicated with the strength and vitality coursing through his veins - as well as the untamed magic that filled the forest - he ignored caution and said, 'How tall the trees, how bright the stars... and how beautiful you are, O Arya Svit-kona.' Under normal circumstances, he would have considered his deed the height of folly, but in that fey, madcap night, it seemed perfectly sane."

AHHHH!!! If I ever write something like that, I want someone to promise me they will chop off my left hand before I publish any book.

It's just so... awkward... and cliche... it's just so stupid! And the dialogue is worse!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Does anyone else see it?
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:09 am
Crysi says...

*twitches* Oh my. That's like... my imitation of love scenes. AKA overlydramatic. Ew.
Love and Light

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:39 am
Zion says...

Its a pile of nice words to say that the kid had an erection. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is horrid. I know my stuff are kinda dumb but this is just...I dont like waaaay too dramatic. is Paolini a Drama Queen? Yes he is.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:03 pm
Emma says...

...I like it.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:24 pm
Caligula's Launderette says...

poor Emma...

This is why I am not a fan of Paolini, most people think that the reason I don't like his books is because he got published and I haven't even finished any novel I've ever started, that's only partially true. His style just puts me off...uggg...not that people can't like him, it's just so awful, and eye-gouging for me to read.
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

43 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:11 am
Nai says...

Arvandor wrote:Its a pile of nice words to say that the kid had an erection. :lol: :lol: :lol: This is horrid. I know my stuff are kinda dumb but this is just...I dont like waaaay too dramatic. is Paolini a Drama Queen? Yes he is.

::reads Arvy's reply::

::re-reads exerpt from Eldest::

::5 seconds later::

LMAO!! OH MY GOD!! I know what your saying!!

close to Arya?
passion.. sprang..ing?
intoxicated with strength and vitality coursing through his veins?
untamed magic?
ignored caution?

Actually, it seems more of a rape scene than Eregon's boner.

::stops laughing 10 minutes later::

Have to see about upping the age for this post.. lol
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:21 am
Sam says...

Well, the dude's like 19 and obsessed with dragons and whatnot, so no wonder it takes him seven sentences to say the kid got a boner. A perfect example of how NOT to live your life...nothing against him, o'course. :P
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:00 am
Meshugenah says...

*stares*

oh dear god. this has scared me away from romamce for life. seriously. and arvy, you certianly have a way with words :P
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:02 am
Crysi says...

*cracks up*

You two just made my night. Seriously.

And here I was gonna reread Eragon so I could finally read Eldest and understand what was going on... Maybe I don't WANT to know what's going on! :lol:

Although it would be quite entertaining...
Love and Light

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:22 am
Zion says...

Also there was this place called Gaysomething and on the beginning of Eragon hes says something like:
The big bulky arms were covering with his sweat and there was hair coming out of his....argh! I cant talk anymore! Basicly it says how "sexy" and "hairy" the blacksmith is.

Still, I saute the fact that his works became a world wide success. *waves a flag*
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

43 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:37 am
Supermal says...

This is exactly why I don't pay too close attention to how well some books are written, or else I'd never enjoy anything, lol :P
~Michelle~
Who needs friends when you've just bought a brand new pen?

43 Reviews

Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:58 pm
Nai says...

Hey, hey, this was Arvy's idea not mine.. lol

I hadn't noticed it until Arvy said it.. I just thought it was bad writing.

Oh and there is another scene that just pissed me off it was so bad.. it put fantasy in a queer, all too real and nasty perspetive. Something was said about when Eregon was curious about the perfection of elves and he happened to see a male in the bathing pool or whatever.. and it said something along the lines of "The elf had no hair around his groin."

I'd find exactly what was said to show you all, but I really don't want to open that book again.

lol Mesh, Paolini was just asking for it.. graduating high school at 15 and publishing books out of his parents company a couple years later.. with no college experience? C'mon.

And if he can publish a book on teenage angst and erections, while retaining a fantasy element and a load of cliches... NOT TO MENTION how popular the damn book is.. we can certainly publish something better to shame this. So don't worry about it.
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

Reviews: 4
Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:54 am
deadrose says...

I use my copy of Eragon as a table leveler. It works almost better than the bible. Hmmm...I'm sure I've read something worse somewhere. If I find it I'll post it. :D

deadrose
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

I didn't lose my mind, I sold it on ebay.

Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult.

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gurgle.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:46 am
Snoink says...

If Paolini were here, I would obliverate his perverted stories. He has some horrible styles... but at least you're right. We'll publish something ten times better!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
— Émile Zola