z

Young Writers Society

Strict and up-tight

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:14 pm
Emma says...

No offense to any of you guys but I would really like to point this out to all of you, as this is how I really feel about this place. Just recently I have noticed how up-tight this place is. It's practically scary. I mean, you're not allowed to bump, double post, or go off topic. Many people here take a lot of things seriously -- so you have to be careful what you say.

I still love all of you guys to bits, but I don't know... I think I have gotten to that stage where I don't feel that welcome and I'm not really my real self when I post. I mean, I can upset people so easily here and other places people just take it as a joke and move on with. I know what you are all wanting to say; this is a writing site, there is no need for these kind of comments. You should act responsible and think about others always. You should stop talking and start posting more in the Literary section. If you don't like this site then just go away.

Sorry, but don't you think that maybe it would be fun for us to loosen up a bit? No offense but I am getting slightly 'annoyed' at some members (you probably know who it is, but I'm not telling anyway.) I feel like I'm suddenly out of place. I have been here for like, ages! Almost a year in January. I love this place, but somehow now, I feel like I am getting ignored or my views don't matter.

Please! Be fun! Sometimes, even the randomness area can be all serious and scary!

I know, feel offended, shout at me, hate me -- but to be honest this is how I feel.

OK, I'm done.

Rambling over.

Random avatar

Reviews: 109
Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:35 pm
Teeeeo. says...

Amen.
*nods*
This has been happening.
Why do you think I just NOW got to 250 posts?

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:57 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Bumping and double posting are annoying as hell. Im GLAD that isn't allowed. The getting off topic thing does get out of hand here, both with occurance and enforcement. I say: Deal. Depate is for debate, not jokes and tiddlywinks, thats what randomness is there for.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

683 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:01 pm
Emma says...

QiGuaiGongFu! You are one of the most serious on this site! You sometimes scare the living daylights out of me! I'm scared around you... Yeah, double posting and bumping can be annoying, but bumping can be good when a post that doesn't get any comments and has been forgotten!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:09 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

The debate section is too uptight here anyway.

Moderators will take care of double posts, although you can delete them. Most of the time they are accidents, so there is no reason to start shouting anyone down over that. There are some forums that if you do double post and stuff they will kill you, especially if you ressurect old threads or post new threads that have the same topics as the old threads.

This isn't the case in YWS.

We want you to make new posts if you want to talk about an issue.

Bumping is frowned upon, but possible. It has been done before. If people really want their stuff reviewed though, they'd be better off PMing some of our talented reviewers.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:46 pm
Zion says...

*bump*

You know hteres is a diffrence between posting stupid and immature posts and saying somethng hularious but still smart. Afterall, this is a writing site. Forums like these are the ONLY places on the internet where someone would be able to express themselves in their own personal way, in an ARTISTIC way, not PROFESSIONAL. Not all 700+ members can be all goody and tidy and everything. It happens to every single growing forum. Old members are chosen as mods, the forum becomes large, the mods go egoistic and arrogant, reviving scenes from the Untcouchables and in the matter of a few months, the forum collapses. More and more members start flaming each other, mods use their privleges to ban members and delete posts (i.e. statisy their own sadistic natures) YWS needs to loosen up a bit. Im a mod on two forums, and a member of five other forums, I know forum intrigues more or less. Instead of the mods phasing and morphing with the members they proclaim themselves as demi-gods and write in the style of 40 year old people. This is a threat to the forum, a BIG one. Also you may want to consider the fact that many members cling to the forum to find sanctuary from the world around them and do have problems with self esteem. It seems to me that YWS is more interested in WRITING than the WELL BEING of their members.
Last edited by Zion on Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:59 pm
deleted6 says...

I'm not uptight, am I, please tell me if I am.

Anyway so what if we cling to it as a sanctaury, It shows how good this site is, and Emma right everyone loosen up, it not the end of the world yet.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

683 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:01 pm
Emma says...

There is a fun way to this and a sarcastic way to this! You sounded like you were trying to be funny by bumping off this thread. I'm sorry for giving my views. No offense, but lately you are one of the most strict and over mature person I know on this board at the moment.

I kind of see why some new comers seem scared (e.g. the younger ones who wanted to join). Yeah, I can admit, this site is still growing fast, but so is most sites I go onto. Av, you REALLY need to relax!

...its bugging.

Oh, something else, knowing this is the 'Lounge' part, this area should have more fun. Yeah, I can believe that on the Literary forum part you need to be like, more sensible and NOT bump, but here... come on! Relax!

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:08 pm
Zion says...

A random question. Was that posted directed to me? If it was, I "bumped" so I can show that I AM able to do so, and the mods cant stop me from doing it, by it, im showing that its up to the members to consider our own actions, we have to know that bumping and double posting sux, cuz if we dont, the mods'll flame us. Its up to us, as mort...er...members to show the mods that we can "take care" of our posts. Also I support the freedom of the written (or typed depends on the way you look at it) word, at least on forums such as these.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

67 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:37 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

Emma wrote:QiGuaiGongFu! You are one of the most serious on this site! You sometimes scare the living daylights out of me! I'm scared around you... Yeah, double posting and bumping can be annoying, but bumping can be good when a post that doesn't get any comments and has been forgotten!

Then something about it wasn't worth anyone's time. Bumping is still annoying as hell.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

683 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:42 pm
Emma says...

It could be interesting later on and more people would have something more to talk about! Plus, it CAN be good on Literary forums if people really want help and they are not getting the comments they need to improve.

67 Reviews

Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:46 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

No, its obnoxious. Double posting and bumping can get out of hand extremely fast. Besides, if yall would read the thread i have in THIS forum, you wouldn't NEED to bump. Jesus people.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:22 pm
Bobo says...

I don't see why people want to bump and double-post. You act as if you're the victims for us mean ole mods not letting you have your way, when really double-posting and bumping are both discourteous to others, and can be annoying and are usually pointless.

What bugs me is when people bring back threads that died off a long time ago by posting in them something that would have been considered off-topic even if it were an active thread. An educated person would at least check the last few posts to see the general idea of where the discussion has gone, rather than in the middle of some tangent (which tends to happen in debates especially) coming back with something completely different. This is especially discourteous in debates, because if people are in the middle of a specific topic and you bring up something different, then sometimes whoever posted before you will get ignored and will have to bring their point back later, so either you'll get two debates going at once, or the person won't want to be rude by changing the subject suddenly and will wait patiently.

It's important that we're nice to newcomers, but it seems just common sense to me to pay more attention to active topics than to long-dead ones, to continue the current conversation instead of an old one that has been resolved already, and to post once (if it takes a long time to load, pressing "Submit" again won't help. If it won't load, copy your post just in case, and just refresh the page you posted on. It should have worked anyway). Bumping may be okay every once in a while, but it doesn't make sense to me to expect people to respond right away. Impatience tends to drive away potention commentators, not bring them.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:23 pm
Crysi says...

Mkay guys, chill. This is just what she's talking about - people are getting too serious.

Emma, if there's any way you think the mods can improve, please PM one of us or Nate. We can't change if we don't know we're doing something wrong! And YWS does need to be a fun place that's enjoyable for everyone.

However. There HAVE to be boundaries, and I'm sure you realize that. The members on this site vary from extremely random to extremely serious, and the site itself needs to be somewhere in the middle to satisfy both. I've been on a writing site that was completely out of control, and I hated every minute of it. I eventually got banned because of a fight with the admin over how he was doing his job (*cough* He wasn't...*cough*), when I had once been one of the more popular mods. The site got out of hand and closed shortly after. I don't want that happening here. Yes, YWS should be fun, but it has to remain under control, and I'm sure you can understand that.

Reviving threads is fine. No one should yell at you for that. As Griff said, double posts aren't a problem either. They happen to all of us. The mods just take care of it and move on, if you haven't already. Bumping does get annoying, especially when it's only been posted for a few hours (I've seen it happen). If you really want someone to respond, PM someone or (worst-case scenario) make a post about it in either the Lounge or the Randomness forum.

Going off topic... In the Lounge, it's slightly discouraged, but I hope we're not too strict in controlling it. Usually we try to wait for a few posts to see if it gets itself back on track. But the Lounge is for discussing certain topics, and if people go way off in that thread, members may get discouraged. So if you don't mind people going off track, post it in the Randomness forum. I REALLY hope mods aren't being strict there - and if they are, you might want to remind them they're not in the Lounge. ;) I've made that mistake a couple times...

Anyway Emma, thanks for posting about your concern. Again, if there's anything the mods can do, let us know. Thanks. :)
Love and Light

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:37 pm
Firestarter says...

Bobo and Crysi covered it, really.

Sorry Emma, but some "seriousness" as you label it has to be kept. If you want a totally free-for-all site, there are plenty - because this is a writing site AND a community site, there are some boundaries. Us Mods are just trying to keep some order to this place.

If you see something that you don't agree with (I make a lot of decisions that perhaps might have drawn you into saying this), just PM me and tell me and I'll discuss it with you, and then you'll realise I'm right (haha that was a joke, from the ever brilliant and late Brian Clough RIP. Just messing with you.)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

The thing about plummeting downhill at fifty miles an hour on a snack platter - if you realize it's a bad idea when you're halfway down, it's too late.
— Rick Riordan, The Son of Neptune