z

Young Writers Society

How is it going so far?

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:56 pm
Zion says...

How are your writnings progressing? What did ya do today? I finally finished my world map *go moi* and created a few new characters and artifacts. By tomorrow I should finish the entire history of the ELenian Empire.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:07 pm
Snoink says...

:) YAY!

I'm on Chapter 10 of my story FREAK. And... that chapter sucks, lol! Oh well... editing is good.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:09 pm
Bjorn says...

I have a map I drew this summer, right above my head, and to the left of Middle-Earth. I've come up with so many ideas for it, I don't know what to do. However, one story sticks out, and it's slowly progressing, actually for a few months now, in my head. It'll be down on paper once I'm not lazy ^^;;. I have a side story, that may or may not coincide with it, it's more or less a Christian allegory, or at least it seems like one...

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:12 pm
Zion says...

Christian ALegory? huh?
anyway...

I gathering info from as many sources as possible. Indian culture, ancient europian belif system and all that jazz, also words/terms/legends from my own macedonian heritage. :D so far so good, but I need to work on my writing style...
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:18 am
Bjorn says...

Mine is a Tolkien rip-off(shhh :roll: ), but it's working for me :)

I've already explained to Arvandor, but to the rest: Most elements are taken from Scandanavian/Norse(Nordic) culture. Hence in my story, there is a people called the Nords, who, as the name implies, live in the north. It's their story, and revolves around their emergence, prosperity, and survival. The story itself follows a young boy, whisked away from his home; and on a journey to his peoples homeland, where he must accept the throne of the Nordic Kingdom, and prevent a massive outbreak of war, affectionately known as the Clan Wars(being the second in history, like a world war 2 in a Dark Age setting). A simple plot, and along the way we basically hear of the kid's backstory, and the history of his people, there is some troubles along the way; and there might, most definately, be a second 'book'.

Now my 'Christian Allegory' as I have dubbed it, is, well, it's the only way I can describe it! It's like a bible for a fantastical land! My version of the Silmarillion by Tolkien, in my world! I'll post what I have of it soon.

And my third and final story idea, takes place in the near future of Middle-Earth. The elves and dwarves, and all fantastical beasts are forgotten, or only remembered by the oldest and most decrepit of wise men; else in 'faery tales'. So the basic plot is: A wandering traveller travels across Middle-Earth, from West to North to East and South, and so to Gondor. There he catches a glum group and tells them a tale of the 'Elder Days'; a 'High' faery tale, one which has the group awestruck, and the one most enthralled by the tale of the 'Elder World' and of the elves and such, is a little boy amongst them; the Prince of Gondor. He is named a 'Son of Earendil', for he was born under the prow of a ship, and in him thence was set a sea-longing, one which neither dry-wanderer, nor mariner could explain. So in his older years, afore he becomes King, he devises a great ship, the greatest yet that has ever been known, and he amasses a crew, from across Middle-Earth, who are willing or eager to join him in a quest to traverse the wide Western Seas, and so come to distant, unknown lands. Unbeknownst to the crew though, is his desire, long set in him since birth, and yet grown after he heard 'the tale', to find the 'Last Isle' which is upon the brinks of the world; and thence were elves dwell, once greatest beings to dwell upon the Mortal Lands.
They traverse the seas then, and come to no lands. So months pass, and yet naught is found, yet they follow the most direct route west as they percieved by the movement of the stars, and of their instruments. Finally, the Prince sees 7 swans flying ahead, as if leading the ship, or wishing to be followed, and they sing a song in some foreign tongue, like and unlike his own, and their music fills his heart with new strength, and of valorous deeds done in ages long past. So he tells the crew, and they think him mad, for flying aloft are but gulls, crying in some harsh, guttural tongue. But in his earnest, they follow. So they come upon the magic isles. Upon those islands, all but a handfull of his crew, make landfall. And yet the Prince percieved that those are not the Last Isle, despite their beauty and enchanting airs. And still he follows the swans who have not stopped, and now a bright star is ahead, guiding at night when the swans aren ot visible. Unknown to them to be Earendil, the most blessed star in the skies. Finally, the prince moors his ship near the coast of what he percieves to be the Last, and Lonely Isle, and he swins ashore, and there meets it's people: the elves, and learns their lore and history. Voila, I take Tolkiens original concept for his mythology, and meld it to his current, and presumably final! My greatest undertaking yet!

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:24 am
Skye says...

Ooh, you guys sound like you are progessing!

I managed to put off editing my (craptastic) NaNo for another day, which makes it one more day that I will have my sanity. :D
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:40 pm
Firestarter says...

I am dead in the water in regards to writing progress.

Although I did write a random introduction to nothing. I'm aware that makes no sense. I want to write something but I've never found the story that just clicks, unfortunately.

One day ...
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:55 am
Brian says...

If you consider term papers in this, then I'm writing up a storm lately.

But fiction wise... dead in the water.
If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:09 am
Areida says...

I second that. If you count a midterm essay, I'm going nuts...

But fiction... Ari be stuck.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

375 Reviews

Reviews: 375
Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:22 am
Dargquon Ql'deleodna says...

i managed to proctasstinate homework, and study for exams, and i have accepted the fact that my parents have gotten a divorce, nothing i can do about it, and it sucks but yea get over it.....
Life's a B*tch, slap it upside the head.

Dargquon Ql'deleodna: (n) "Dar-qu-on Kel-del-ode-na" something i made up that sounded cool, partially based off of the Drow Drizzt Do'Urden's name style

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:03 pm
Duskglimmer says...

I... uh... haven't touched my story since last saturday... *growls at self*

However, wednesdays and thursdays are my biggest writing days because people are out of the house and leave me to the computer and my insanity.

So hopefully, I'll get a few more chapters out within the next 48 hours.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:50 pm
-KayJuran- says...

written at least something in each of first six chapters. also have detailed plan so i know what happens and don't have to write chapters in order lol. have possible side story as well.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:09 am
Crayon says...

*punishes self* Its the second week of holidays! i only have seven weeks left and ive written nothing! well apart from some really terrible poems but they dont count! *mumbles and runs away* sorry the people on the tv just said "pee pee, widdle, tinkel, soda" not good for Hannah the Pee pee train girl!
Trying to survive "sweet sixteen."
---
<love> is sweet -suicide- and {[you]} are my LATEST a.t.t.e.m.p.t

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:22 am
Jiggity says...

hmmm, the holidays have just started for me and they will be my last prelude to school as i am entering the final year of High School!!!
Anyway after studying and revising a bit, i will begin to write a story that i've had in my mind for a while now. A story that may even become a novel. The story will be called 'School of the Damned' and it's based on my own school and friends. The idea is that the protaganist will uncover an evil conspiracy surrounding and instigated by a new student. Upon this student's enrolment strange things begin to occur; students begin to disappear, fights and riots become common place, crows/ravens/vultures circle the school constantly and prey on the weak. Only one student makes the connection, problem is no one believes him, not even his own parents. So with everyone against him, and with his own doubts about his sanity, he must forge ahead to attempt to stop an unimaginable evil, far vaster than he originally believed. An evil loosed purposely upon the world so as unlock the final seal and bring about Armaggaden...
To battle this foe, he will need to draw upon a magic that has laid long dormant. He will need to call upon celtic and druidish origins he never new he had.

the Fate of the world rests on the shoulders of one angst-riddled teenager...
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

Random avatar

Reviews: 67
Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:01 am
The Silent Aviator says...

I'm currently at quite a low point in my writing. :( Recently I've been sitting around pitying my poor exam grades and dreaming(dreaming and very little else) about what to write next.I've started some poetry, but the poems already suck after two lines, and even if I do decide to finish them, they won't be worthy of posting here...

In the area if fiction, I quote one of you, I am "dead in the water". As I mentioned earlier , I'm dreaming up concepts for stories but mostly never actually beginning them. I'm doing some research for a possible historical fiction work set in 'nam, but this probably won't amount to anything. I might try dabling in fantasy, but I've never written a fantasy piece before and don't even know where to begin.

In conclusion, I have a wealth of ideas but little to show for them, and if I post anything at all in the next few weeks, it'll probably be artwork or a substandard poem I'll have managed to scrape together.

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan