z

Young Writers Society

Now's the time to say it.

Do you have a problem with me?

Yes, you p*ss me off, please leave and never come back
19%
No, I like you and don't have a problem with you in the slightest.
48%
I wish you would tear apart my work just so as to have something to critique.
10%
I wish you wouldn't post so much of your writing on here when you don't write much in your critiques.
24%

Total votes : 21

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:30 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Right. If you have a problem with me, just say so here please. Because apparently, among other things, I am being rude by not writing 1000 word critiques in reply to people's material. Please note that what I have to say, I say. There is no point in me saying things that have already been said, or that I don't think. I'm not a critic, anyway - I like writing. But I'm happy to give my opinions, which I do, and which is quite different to critiquing.
Also, I don't expect people to give me critiques if they have nothing to say - I'm quite happy with just opinions. It's up to you. I just wanted to point out that I'm not being selfish or anything.
But please, tell me.
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:19 pm
Emma says...

Ah! Don't worry! I hardly crit at all, only because I have hardly any time to! Don't worry.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:29 am
Elelel says...

Look at me, member of a critiquing usergroup, and how often do I crititque? Rarely these days. I need to get round to it, it's like a different from of writer's block. EDITOR'S BLOCK!!!
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:41 am
mystical*dragons says...

Hey, I like you. Even though we've never really talked. But I like you anyway. :) And I'm more of a writer too, and I don't critique much. It's okay :)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:24 am
Nate says...

If you do not critique, that's fine. But don't clutter up the literary forums with your works.

I know what this is in response to, and I don't like it. Posting your stuff here is a privilege, not a right. Same goes for being a member of YWS.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:37 am
Crysi says...

3. Members are asked to withold on submitting work until they post two reviews. After one has done, a member can submit as much work as he/she may like, although it is requested that one keeps the ratio of reviews to work to at least 2 to 1.

5. Members should seek to improve other's writing skills.

As long as you try to stick with those rules and really try to improve, I think you should be fine. However, I'd listen to Nate on this one, since I'm afraid I don't know what this is referring to.
Love and Light

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:52 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

This isn't a blog, dear. If you want to blog, there is a place for that. There are also plenty of other places to blog. If you just want to post your work so that others can read it if they want too, then you need to put it on your blog. If you want to actually get better at your writing skills, and do the tasks that this site has been established to do, then you should critique at least two poems before you post one. Decent critiques. "I don't like it" and "that was good" are hardly satisfactory. You need to explain what was good and what was bad. Feedback is important, because we are here to help others get better. And "it sucks" doesn't help. "I don't like the line in the second stanza. It doesn't seem to flow right to me." or "That last line really worked well. Good job. But the first stanza doesn't seem to fit right. You go on about X but then all of a sudden you're talking about Y, and it is a little confusing." It doesn't need to be a thousand words. Just post enough so that A: your message is clear. B: you've pointed out good and bad areas. Things you did and did not like. using specifics is encoraged.

Again, this is NOT A BLOG.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Presenting the GFuture, soon to be the Gnow, reality presented by Google.
Welcome to GEarth.
~Baske in the randomness~

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:13 pm
*Twilight* says...

Your not annoying and you don't post too much work. I don't really know you but you seem nice.
Hire people to crit your work! Get paid to crit other people's work!
The YWS crit shop: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8018

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:33 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

What the heck?

Yes, those "This is good" posts aren't particularly helpful. What is helpful is how the story was good. This tells the writer why the story was well written, so they know exactly what parts to leave as they are, which need some work, and which are worthless.

I'm not concerned about the quanity of words, but the quality of them.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:58 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

Qi I am perfectly aware that THIS IS NOT A BLOG, thank you very much. I'm not so retarded that I need telling.
I didn't, however, realise that you had to be a critic of many words to be able to post your works on here.
And before any smart ass points this out - no, I'll admit, I haven't read the rules.
Nate, I am so dreadfully sorry for 'cluttering up the literary forum' with my review - that really is a charming way of putting it, thanks. You really know how to treat your members.
To be perfectly honest, I like this website and most of the people on here seem nice and many are very talented. But I have to say that if such rules are to be enforced then perhaps that dude rincewind had a point about Urbis.com.
This isn't an attack on anyone, I was just making a point and trying to find out what other people's opinions were before making a choice to leave. Because I'll repeat, once again, that I am not a critic first and foremost. That is not to say that I am not willing to help others progress and improve, just that that isn't my biggest talent.
In fairness to me, I have tried, though.
I just want to point out also that this isn't some pathetic stroppy popularity contest - I simply want to know what other people actually want, and if, like I said, it doesn't seem that I can do that, then I'll make the decision to leave permanently.

And for all those who said they don't like me, f*** you. :D
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

67 Reviews

Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:56 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

If you are going to post your work here, it is only fair that you critique others work as well. I laid out some very very simple guidelines on critiquing. If you want some help, I'd be happy to show you how to critique and read critically. The rule exists to ensure that others work is critiqued and everyone is contributing in a positive manner. If the rule isn't enforced, then it is highly unfair to other members who are only here to get their work torn apart by our loving members, and are willing to do the same.
For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms of the-not-worth-knowing.
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:52 pm
Snoink says...

If you're having trouble with writing critiques, then I have tutored some members on it, and I would be more than happy to help. I've also written this thread:

forum/viewtopic.php?t=4559

It should be a nice starting point on how to critique things.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:29 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

YES! Learn from Snoink, she is the master!
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

67 Reviews

Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:23 pm
QiGuaiGongFu says...

i offered first!!!
- HL Mencken
Lie together like butt.
Welcome to GEarth.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:31 pm
Snoink says...

First the worst, second the best! ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe