z

Young Writers Society

What Are You Thankful For?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:18 am
Nate says...

Can't take credit for this topic since I'm stealing the idea from a topic Carmina started over at JustGoat.com.

Americans just celebrated Thanksgiving day, and Canadians celebrated theirs a month ago, but we can all still express what we are thankful for; especially as we are moving into the holiday season.

This year, I'm thankful for a lot of things. I'm thankful that I landed a good job in a relatively short amount of time. I'm thankful for one of my neighbors as he is the only one that will ever go running with me (I hate running by myself!). I'm thankful for my friends, both old ones and new.

And I'm very thankful for the first year in my entire life that I have not had to stay overnight in the hospital because of asthma.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:13 am
Sam says...

Usually, I just go with the basic Family, Friends, and Food generic thanks, because I couldn't think of anything else. But this year...it's a little more unique.

1) Not friends, exactly, but classmates. I have the [ahahaha] great fortune to be stuck in a room of weirdos all day doing math problems this year. I love them all. Not to be cheesy, but they support me, they get my jokes, and my blog would totally suck without 'em.

2) My friends (quote en quote) for the unceasing ability to make me crack up in the middle of a lecture on Neanderthals in Mr. Gottberg's class and get me in trouble. This thanks should probably be extended to Richard as well. :P

3) Math. Yeah. I know. I scare myself too. But who the heck knew that ΓΈ was so important? Or that if P is false and Q is true, then P implies Q would be false?

Or that manners would be so important? I thank my teacher as well for her Daily Soapboxes.

4) NaNoWriMo. I write a heck of a lot better now than I did, what, 23 days ago? I've been through the emotional rollercoasters (especially the all-time low of crying while listening to Brain Stew :P), I Hate Myself and Want to Die phases, and the horrible dialogue, but I've also got some quoteworthy stuff in there too, if I may say so myself.

5) Green Day. Can't beat 'em. (Oh, you knew this was coming from the beginning, didn't you? :P)
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:13 am
Shadow Knight says...

This is a hard one... but for now i'll name the basics:

1) My friend Ross, for all support he has ever given me. This includes helping me with homework, explaining things to me, stopping me from having the solid waste matter beaten out of me.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:20 am
Elelel says...

1) My class. I'm not best buddies with ... well, practically any of them, but I've been stuck in some pretty horrible classes with some pretty horrible people over the past few years who made it their personal hobby to make my life a living hell. I was so sure this would happen this year, but it didn't. So I'm thankful for my lovely (and pretty funny) class.

2) Some of my friends. One of them can just add on problem after problem ... but playing evil overlord of the blender and throwing the eggy clothe of doom with the rest was fun.

3) Deffinately music, and anyone associated with the music system at my school. Especially my music teacher. Band is fun, but it is funner with squeaks and the famous trombone slide part. Seriously fun stuff.

4) NaNoWriMo. I've decided not to finish, because I would rather enjoy my last week of school (exam week) without a hectic deadline rush. But it was good. It was responsible for extremely happy times and much yelling of the word "YAY!!!" and extreme down times and many tears over homework. But an ... experience.

5) My art class and their appreciation for life's important things. Like music. In particular whose tastes in music we will be going with this lesson, and would Mr Thomas just SHUT UP!!!

6) My blog. I love it to death.

7) And stuff. You know, just stuff. In general. That kind of stuff.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:03 pm
Areida says...

1) My dad. He's amazing and I've learned so much from him.

2) My mom. If she hadn't screwed up so many things in my life I'd just be a selfish rich kid.

3) My older sister. West Point has changed her a lot, and for one of the first times, I have found I really and truly admire her.

4) Adrienne. She's great to have around. I love having someone (even when she's obnoxious) that looks up to me like she does.

5) Haley. Sweetest baby sister anyone could ask for.

6) My birds, Rocco and Cinnamon.

7) Our beagles: Fred Astaire, Leroy Brown, and Marco the Cow.

8) My home. We've come close to losing it many times and I'm so grateful we still have it.

9) My health. You see children dying of cancer and teenagers doing crack... I'm very blessed.

10) My school. It works me to death, but I would hate to go anywhere else. It's an amazing place.

11) My teachers. They really are incredible people. They work so hard and are extremely intelligent, dedicated, godly individuals.

12) My friends. All of 'em. School, church, reenacting, etc. I really am grateful for every last one of them.

13) My writing. It's been a beautiful escape and something that I can actually be good at, even when I suck at everything else.

14) My salvation.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:10 am
Bjorn says...

1. First and formost, my parents. Without them, I wouldn't be here today!
2. My brother, for all the brotherly love, and having 'someone there'.
3. Tolkien, for giving me a direction in life, a hobby, something to debate and discuss, and a great read!
4. For all the little things that make my life more enjoyable!
5. Blind Guardian-for giving me something to smash my head to! The ultimate of epic/fantasy/power/progressive metal bands! I thank them especially for Nightfall in Middle-Earth(and the Curse of Feanor!)!

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:23 am
Elizabeth says...

This lifetime. All I have. All I had. All I wish I had. All I could ever want. All I don't want.
I am thankful for it all.
Especially Greg.
The best thing that has and ever will come into my life so far, better than all the rest. And I mean it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:18 am
deleted6 says...

I'm thankful for the SSC, Straun, my two best friends, my dad for bringing me up well, an for TBR being happy errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Nate for this fanblases Forum.

Yoshi for being me first friend here on YWS, God for giving me a gift to sing brillantly, An for Scotland stopping the advancing Romans. Also for Britannica for defending agaist all odds of WW2
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:26 am
Duskglimmer says...

wow... what am I thankful for? you got a year to listen?

1) my parents. I've been reminded alot this year just about much they care and just how lucky I am to have them.
2) my siblings. they all rock. I can't imagine life without any one of them.
3) *singsoffkey*. She's the best big sister I could ask for and I don't think there is a better friend out there. She's been there so much for me over the past year.
4) My friends (group A, I'm not naming names). For pushing me to be better. For encouraging me to follow what's real instead of getting sucked in to all the junk that's around.
5) My friends (group B, once again, I'm not naming names). For... well... for showing me what not to be.
6) The YWS. Don't know where I'd be without it. Sounds strange to hear me say that, but it's true.
7) A particular someone that managed to make a decision for me that I never would have been able to and woke me up. I can't thank him enough.
8) my bible study group a church. All those girls are awesome. I can't remember a group of people that i've been able to laugh that much with
9) The entire cast of CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN last summer and all the great conversation/discussions/heated debates that we got into during the run of the show. It really got me thinking, got me moving. love y'all.
10) Computers. he he he... *huggles the computer*

think ten things is enough? well... for now anyways...
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:51 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Here is the stuff I'm thankful for, in no particular order.

1. God. Heck, if he weren't around I wouldn't likely be around, let alone have opportunities. He also is my ally and constant companion. Not a bad thing for a person like me.

2. Nate. He has created an awesome website and has worked his butt off. He also thought I'd be a good moderator. Also, he seems to fit really well under God.

3. My Parents. Were it not for there slave-driving techniques, I would never have become a slave-driver of myself.

4. My siblings. They are my comrades in arms, which provide interesting insight. Snoink being the wise goofball, with my other sister being the practical impatient tomboy. The best of both worlds.

5. My Scout Troop. I consider them as family. They have taught me a lot about what being a man really is about. They have taught me the basics of survival and through them I have done things I never knew or expected I could do just five years ago.

6. My Teachers. I have been blessed with excellent teachers. They have always been interested in going the extra mile to help me and others.

7. Being taken out of public school. Otherwise, I'd be another angsty out of control teenager. I am much more sure of myself then I would be otherwise.

8. Having a lot of resources at my disposal. I am able to eat a good meal and enjoy myself, which isn't always the case for everyone. For this I am grateful.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:50 am
Meta-Messiah says...

All the usual stuff (not saying its not important but i take being thankful for that pretty much as a given) and
1. Having a fully working, and inquisitive mind
2. Having a pen full of ink and a book full of paper
3. The unbelievable beauty of the world in all its synchronisity, from a frosted leaf falling from a tree and catching the sun to a country of opressed people standing up and telling their facist government that they wont take it anymore.
"Ich weisse jetzt was keine engle weisse" Wings of desire

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:07 am
Jennafina says...

All the usual, and some.

-Being able to talk to people. Its nice to have some people who will listen when I whine.

-YWS!!!! Best thing that ever happened to me. (I kid, I kid. Not the absolute best. But its on the list.)

-My good warm hat.

-And finally, I'm thankfull that pumpkin pie is available to the general public.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:09 am
Ego says...

Of all the things in the world, I am most thankful for these people:

--Crysi: without you, I would literally be dead.
--Bobo: doin what you can, when you can, for the past 11 years.
--Carmina: Queen of the Nerds, m'dear, you rock my socks.
--Ieatworms: ...I'm not sure for what yet. I'll figure it out someday.
--Jinn: Pulling me from my shell and into the real world.
--Empress Kat: My closest friend.; where would I be without you?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:33 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Love.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:23 pm
thegirlwhofateloves says...

The invention of shoes, pens, pistachio nuts, cigarettes, alcohol and sex.
On the moe appropriate, serious side, my 2 best friends in the whole wide world, my doggies and the fact that my skin has finally cleared up!!!! Woohoo! :D
www.myspace.com/prettytorture
felicitypepper@hotmail.co.uk

Big up the YWS Massive!

....And I still don't know what SPEW is....

Poetry is my cheap means of transportation. By the end of the poem the reader should be in a different place from where he started. I would like him to be slightly disoriented at the end, like I drove him outside of town at night and dropped him off in a cornfield.
— Billy Collins