33%

Total votes : 9

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:37 pm
Firestarter says...

To help me with an argument,

Who was better as a punk band? The Clash or the Ramones?

(I'm not asking who was more influential: who, in your opinion, was better)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:49 am
Sgt.Pepper says...

I'd say Ramones because i've heard more. And i love their dumb rock style.

But what i have heard of the Clash, they sound much more skilled musicians. and they're lyrics are a s**tload better than the Ramones' are. hm hm ha ha.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:04 am
Eleanor Rigby says...

In my opinion, The Clash was the far better band. Although I love The Ramones to death, I still say that, stylistically, The Clash were better. I only say this because although The Ramones should be dubbed the quintessential punk band (to which that specific genre they were fantasic), The Clash had a different sound and feel that arose out of that underground punk scene in the 70s and honestly, they did more for their sound. In essence, they were the mainstreamed version of punk, but through their musical revolution, they became something more than just a regular punk band. (And, fo course, ended up being the more influencial band out of the two). So, The Clash were better because they broke out of the "punk" mould and made it their own. But hey, if you like strictly that three-chord punk sound, then your best bet would be The Ramones, but I still like The Clash better! :wink:
words, language - what wonderous
creatures these beings are,
what joyous routes of sorrow and
longing they pave.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:20 am
Sam says...

I love the Ramones to death as well, but as far as lyrics go...Clash all the way.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:30 pm
Firestarter says...

Just to make it clear I'm 100% on The Clash's side.

I was arguing with my girlfriend's mum's boyfriend. He thinks Ramones are better.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:04 pm
IceCreamMan says...

definitely the clash. The ramones couldn't play real music. They basically sucked as musicians. Thats why all of their songs are so simple (thats all they COULD play with their limited talent). The Clash are one of the few punk bands that I just really love. Their guitarists were both quite talented, and along with the other instruments and singer, they blended perfectly. Although they are classified as punk, they played many styles, including jazz. I can't stand listening to the ramones, because I am a guitarist and there guitarist played like ****. So yea, Clash all the way. They showed the best punk music had to offer, whereas (i believe) modern punk bands just suck.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:28 am
Tara says...

I love the Ramones, but I'm gonna have to say the Clash
"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." -Al Capone

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:34 am
sabradan says...

The Clash. Hands down.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

I should infinitely prefer a book.
— Mary Bennet, Pride and Prejudice