z

Young Writers Society

Back to YWS RP

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:42 pm
Elocina says...

Arvy, I must have come across wrong. Yes, these rules as descirbed are simple and logical. I'm just saying that I have seen confusing rules before(mostly on other sites).
This looks entertaining. Any rules on pets/mounts?
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:32 pm
Zion says...

*beams* thx for mentioning that particular fact C. :D Yes every adventurer starts with a simple mount, a horse. Drwarves, Gnomes and Halflings start with a ram or a boar. Orcs and Goblins start with a Dire Wolf. Also, a mage/sorcerer can choose a familiar/pet as a spell slot only. That is, he can summon that pet; it counts as a single spell. But not everyone has to have a familiar. Also, in the future, the more powerful adventurers may use more powerful beasts, such as Ky-Lins, Unicorns ( good elven characters ONLY, and also it goes for spellcaster and pseudo-spellcaster chars) and even wyverns and dragons in the end. Same goes with familiars/pets.

A ranger/druid/beastmaster's pet however, does not require a spell slot and its a constant companion with the character.
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:36 am
Ego says...

Seems really complicated to me, Arvy--almost like learning a new game rather than a writing excercise--it would be rather hard to just pick up and play, eh?
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

94 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:41 am
Zion says...

Ok, this is an example.... start with a female sorceress named Jeina...

Jeina went outside the tavern. The fingers of the dawning sun washed all over her face and her simple blue robes. She was still a young initiate. She breathe hard on the chilling breeze, her breath slowly floating away like a magical mist. She reached deep inside her mind to choose one of the few speels so she can summon her familiar Teo, a fire quasit.

Jeina as an experienced character, many adventures later...

Jeina went outside the tavern. Her narrowed gaze scanned the horzion's horizon and phased her it with the dawining sun. The beams of the sun washed all over her noble robes. A deep red flowling robe, with oranges strapes embedded with red jewels and cystarls that reflected the sun's rays, making her look like a fiery angel against a dawning glory. She motioned her hands in front of her an closed her eyes. WHen she opened them again her long staff lay in her streched arms. A long staff made from adamantine with a bloodruby sphere on its top, and a large figure of a howling dragon resting on its top. She rose the staff in the air, and the bloodruby began to glow. A pillar of fiery light fell from the sky, enveloping her, and when it settled down, her familiar Teo a Fire Prince stood beside her.

Get the idea?
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:07 am
Shadow Knight says...

I realise i'm a tad late, but hey, i've got to make my appearance sometime... mind If I participate? One thing though... Arvy, this all reminds me of Dungeons and Dragons.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

94 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:15 am
Zion says...

I have no idea SK. I havent played D&D so far. (as humiliating as it sounds...)

Immanuel Kant

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:48 am
Elocina says...

If we makes this as a list, with a reference thread, it should be easy to follow.

How would mounts, pets, ect. be determined if the character was from a "custom" race?

...and, I've never played D&D either. Nothing to be embarrassed about. (Only game I'm familiar with is Age of Empires II and a little bit of the WoW.)

-C
Feeling stupid? Follow me!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:40 am
Griffinkeeper says...

I like it. Except none of it would work for my gryphon, who is both a fighter/mage. I can't imagine him riding a horse either, or having a need to.

I agree that having an infinite amount of spells will kill the story. However, being able to use magic only five times during a quest seems too restrictive to me. Maybe they only know a certain amount of spells. For instance, a druid might only know one spell, where a mage might know twenty. It would be interesting and force writers to be creative with the only spells they might know. A

This can become really complicated really quick.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:40 am
Shadow Knight says...

I have another idea. We stick with the original 5 spell limit, but as for the 5 uses per quest limit... well, I think the limit should be closer to 20 uses, but the character needs to in some way earn the energy to use those spells. Might work, might not.
Cause i'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man,
I'm a one man revolution.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:18 am
Griffinkeeper says...

If we limit the amount of times we can use magic, we might as well eliminate mages in favor of magical objects.

Light of Alar: Will give you light in dark places, but only five times. Use wisely.

We could do this and it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I do think there should be breaks between various spells though, Mages will get tired.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

94 Reviews

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:44 am
Zion says...

I have been misunderstood. :D :lol:

The idea with five spell slots, is that you can use only five spells. The ammount is inifinte of course. Theres a limit to the casting of spells only in artifacts. Such as the ones ive mentioned before.

Immanuel Kant

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:21 pm
Nai says...

Arvandor wrote:Ok, this is an example.... start with a female sorceress named Jeina...

Jeina went outside the tavern. The fingers of the dawning sun washed all over her face and her simple blue robes. She was still a young initiate. She breathe hard on the chilling breeze, her breath slowly floating away like a magical mist. She reached deep inside her mind to choose one of the few speels so she can summon her familiar Teo, a fire quasit.

Jeina as an experienced character, many adventures later...

Jeina went outside the tavern. Her narrowed gaze scanned the horzion's horizon and phased her it with the dawining sun. The beams of the sun washed all over her noble robes. A deep red flowling robe, with oranges strapes embedded with red jewels and cystarls that reflected the sun's rays, making her look like a fiery angel against a dawning glory. She motioned her hands in front of her an closed her eyes. WHen she opened them again her long staff lay in her streched arms. A long staff made from adamantine with a bloodruby sphere on its top, and a large figure of a howling dragon resting on its top. She rose the staff in the air, and the bloodruby began to glow. A pillar of fiery light fell from the sky, enveloping her, and when it settled down, her familiar Teo a Fire Prince stood beside her.

Get the idea?

Arvy, you could do the same thing with basic, threadbare clothing. It's just a matter of how well you describe it.

I like it, but it's a little too restricting.

If you do the free form one like the Tavern, people will be free to fully customize their character.

lol What if someone wants to be a dwarf and ride a giant spider/mule hybrid?
ἓν οἶδα ὅτι οὐδὲν οἶδα

94 Reviews

Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:30 pm
Zion says...

lol What if someone wants to be a dwarf and ride a giant spider/mule hybrid?

lol, THAT wont be possible. Well we can cut some stuff though... ::thinks::

Immanuel Kant

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:36 pm
-KayJuran- says...

if it sounds like dungeons and dragons then i see that as a good thing :P

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:38 pm
Ego says...

Then welcome, Kay--I'm a D&D nerd myself.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

I am big enough to admit I am often inspired by myself.
— Leslie Knope