z

Young Writers Society

The Young Writers Club?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:50 pm
Nate says...

For all those people who are TYWC'ers here (or former ones at least), does anybody know what happened to TYWC? I keep on getting a "403 Forbidden." I guess David finally pulled the plug...

To explain it to everyone else; TYWC used to be huge. It was a writing club, and it's the influence for this site. There was a large tight-knit community, and the quality of writing was excellent. TYWC also had its own webzine (two of them if you include TYWC Tips), several features such as "Word of the Week" and unique games, and its chatwall used to be a great place for discussion.

Recently, though, it's been going downhill. I'm partly responsible for this since I was the editor of TYWC Tips, and a poster for stories and poems (everything had to be screened before being posted), but I stopped working on that stuff about a year ago.

Lately, the quality of the members has been terrible when compared to years past. There were still some excellent ones (Matt Bellamy and CarsAndGuitars were two of them), but the majority of members treated the chatwall as their personal playground. About a week ago, a bunch of members decided to had enough and left; thereby leaving TYWC to the ravages of annoying newbs (annoying is too soft of a word here). To compound the troubles, the stories/poems page had not been updated for over a month (meaning that no stories and poems had been posted by a poster).

Anyhow, I guess David finally got rid of TYWC. I'm not exactly surprised, but it is kind of depressing. There were a lot of great people there I used to know.

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:02 pm
electricbluemonkey says...

Wow...that is sad, I went there once and it seemed like a great site, but now that it was taken down it is just sad, really. When was it founded?

I can see why it was taken down, a lot of those kinds of sites just go to the dogs after a few years, I hope this site doesn't...
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

425 Reviews

Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:24 pm
Nate says...

TYWC was founded way long ago; sometime in early 1996 I believe.

And this site will not go to the dogs! If necessary, I'll just make more administrators if I find myself with not enough time to take care of this site.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:27 pm
Firestarter says...

No way! This site will reign supreme for many years to come!

This is just the first Christmas, may there be many more we can celebrate together! The only way is up, as they say. Apart from down. There's that too :lol:
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:38 am
Meshugenah says...

lol, i too, don't want this site to go down.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:43 am
niteowl says...

Agreed. Dont worry Nate, if thias site (Heaven forbid)EVER showed signs of coming down, I for one, would help it back on its feet. Who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:55 am
Skye says...

:!: I AM :!:
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488

418 Reviews

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:37 pm

Nate wrote:TYWC was founded way long ago; sometime in early 1996 I believe.

And this site will not go to the dogs! If necessary, I'll just make more administrators if I find myself with not enough time to take care of this site.

Okay, sorry to burst your little "moment", but...1996?!?!? WOW! I mean, WOW! How many members did it have? And after 8 years I can realized why he would pull the plug, but why not just re-make the site from the bottom up? I mean, all the memories that the administrator must have had over those 8 years, I can hardly imagine...

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:54 pm
Nate says...

ElectricBlueMonkey wrote:Okay, sorry to burst your little "moment", but...1996?!?!? WOW! I mean, WOW! How many members did it have? And after 8 years I can realized why he would pull the plug, but why not just re-make the site from the bottom up? I mean, all the memories that the administrator must have had over those 8 years, I can hardly imagine...

I'm sure that TYWC had tens of thousands of registered members by the end, although I bet only a hundred of those were still active by the time it was taken down.

The site admin, David, actually did come up with a total redesign, but, for some reason, he never implemented it. A couple members got to beta test it, but it was just never put into action.

418 Reviews

Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:06 pm

Yeah, but I just can't see how someone could do that after so many years....

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:20 pm
-KayJuran- says...

niteowl wrote:Agreed. Dont worry Nate, if thias site (Heaven forbid)EVER showed signs of coming down, I for one, would help it back on its feet. Who's with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM!!! :P

418 Reviews

Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:17 pm

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

I AM!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:49 am
hawk says...

i joined in 2001, or 2000 (TYWC), but i haven't been back for a long time. since, there have been a few errors with it, but usually only last a short period of time. David was a co-founder. there was another person, but i don't remember who she was. she stopped a long time ago, and i guess the novelty of the whole thing had really started to disappear after so many years

i agree though, TYWC used to be a lot better, there used to be some really good writers on there (like pogo and others) that have disappeared, and now the newer people seem to really crowd the poetry and stories with half-finished fantasy fan fiction and terrible poetry. In the beginning, when i first started, David used to read the posts, and occasionally send emails if you swore.

i was _it, later on, but in the beginning, winter89
"Meanwhile everyone wants to breathe and nobody can; and many say, 'We will breathe later.' And most of them don’t die because they are already dead." -- Graffiti of the events of May, Paris '68

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:11 am
Nate says...

hawk wrote:i joined in 2001, or 2000 (TYWC), but i haven't been back for a long time. since, there have been a few errors with it, but usually only last a short period of time. David was a co-founder. there was another person, but i don't remember who she was. she stopped a long time ago, and i guess the novelty of the whole thing had really started to disappear after so many years

Derya, David's daughter, was the other person who ran it and the "founder" of TYWC. By 2001, though, she hated the club and wanted nothing to do with it.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein