z

Young Writers Society

Novel-Writing Group Tips?

Reviews: 0
Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 pm
Fight Club says...

Okay, so, I've put together a novel group for the teenage girls around my neighborhood, the fliers are out, and the date is set: this Saturday, but I'm still sort of freaked out about what I should cover there. Here are the facts:

Possible attendees: About 34 girls
Positive attendees: At least 7 for sure...
Date: Saturday the 10th @ 11.

These girls are pretty much no-experience novelists, and we're going to be doing NaNoWriMo come November (October will be the learning and planning month). I think I am going to talk to them about novel plotting and character building the first week (I'll show them some examples from me, or online writer's samples), along with scaring them about the hard work and commitment a novel is. Also, I want the meeting to be between 45 minutes and an hour, but I'm not sure how long this'll even take. Help! I'm freaking out!

<3,
Avery

PS there'll be refreshments served, at least that's something, right? :smt003
Dream of me.
<3 Avery

216 Reviews

Reviews: 216
Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:23 am
asxz says...

Lol... sounds like a good idea! At least you have people interested. Are you going to do a group NaNo, or just a personal one for each intervidual? If the former, then I would suggest the first meeting should be about the general idea of the book, the planning, as you said, and make sure that everyone there is really there for the writing, and not the free refreshments ;)
If the latter, then I would say you should give them a tutorial on the mysterious plot bunnies, and ideas on how to defeat the notorious writers block. I would definately think that character building is a good idea, because a lot of people (definately me, anyways) have BIG problems with making the reader care about the characters in the book.
Anyways, I have never done anything like that, so I don't really have any more ideas. Good luck!
::XoX::KeepWriting::XoX::

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not being distracted by the internet

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 pm
Fight Club says...

Bah, good tips. Thanks, I love you for helping. :D
Dream of me.
<3 Avery

A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden