z

Young Writers Society

The pen is mightier....

Reviews: 0
Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:30 am
Spirrus says...

....than the pencil!

The site renovation is all fine and dandy but there's still something that irks me about the pencil and sword on our banner...I've got no problem with the sword because swords are awesome. The pencil, however...

Anyways, who here agrees that a pen would look nicer up there instead of a pencil? :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

I rather like the pencil. Shows how much writers erase things. :P

Although I will say there is something slightly odd about that saying. But I think a pen, a good pen, would look too bulky.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

I agree with Rosey. Pencil is erasable, and that's what writers need. I've never used a pen to write for that same reason. And pencil is classic, whereas pen is very modern, and doesn't go with a sword at all, in my opinion.
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 pm
Lucinda says...

I'm in two minds. Pencil is good because you can erase it, obviously, but for whimsical reasons, I'd rather use a good fountain pen. The ink makes a mess, but the finished result is beautiful if you don't blot any ink on the paper. XD
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

I like the pencil, and like everyone else has already said, the eraser's the main reason. But something I'd like changed about the pencil is for the lead to be sharper. Maybe it's just me, but there's nothing that screams "Write with me!" more than an extremely sharp pencil and a piece of blank, white paper. :D
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:54 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

i always thought it would look best if the pencil and sword were crossed like an X and the YWS was printed over them. it just looks cool in my head :)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:28 pm
Jack-a-Lynn says...

Actually, the pen predates the pencil, in the form of quill pens....which is what was used around the time that phrase was coined, I believe. So let's go old school, and have a quill or fountain pen!

I always write in pen because it's easier to read. Pencil smudges and blurs over time. Ink doesn't.
"We may be starving artists, but humanity's soul would starve in the absence of our efforts".

~Dr. Michael O'Hara
Associate Dean, College of Fine Arts

The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma.
— Patrick Star