z

Young Writers Society

Writing As A Career

Do you want to be a full time writer eventually?

Definetely!
35%
Maybe, but I'm going to have a back up plan
41%
I'll always write, but it's not going to take center stage in my life.
22%
Writing is just a hobby for me
2%

Total votes : 51

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:31 pm
MagnusBane says...

I know that pretty much everyone on here takes writing pretty seriously and wants to eventually publish something, but how many of you are actually going to try to make writing your full time job? And is anyone planning to go to college to get an English degree or something similar?
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:40 pm
Lucinda says...

I would *definitely* want to be a full-time writer. Shame that it's so difficult to make a living off of it unless you happen to be J.K. Rowling. xD
I'm thinking I might try to double-major, first in something practical that would earn me a decent living and that I wouldn't mind doing terribly, and then in English also.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

Random avatar

Reviews: 110
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:42 pm
Karsten says...

magnusbanefan13 wrote:I know that pretty much everyone on here takes writing pretty seriously and wants to eventually publish something, but how many of you are actually going to try to make writing your full time job? And is anyone planning to go to college to get an English degree or something similar?

I think a lot of people have an extremely unrealistic view of writing as a full-time career. People are planning to their career in writing when they haven't written a single novel, much less revised it, much less several novels, much less gotten an agent, much less gotten the novel published. It usually takes even published authors several published novels to switch to writing full-time. Until you've signed a book deal, thinking about writing full-time is seriously premature, in my view.

Like the lottery, you've got to buy a ticket to have a chance of winning. And like the lottery, you need a regular job that pays the rent while you dream of winning the lottery.

(Except this is a lottery you can improve your chances of winning by working hard, but most lottery-winner-daydreamers aren't and don't.)

I'm hoping to graduate with a law degree next year, then take a master's degree and move into industry. The rent needs paying. :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

I'm going to go to college for something else, but after I'm going to try and take a year off to write. Unless I have a job of some sort right out of college. Then I'd just write in my spare time.

But, as for wanting to eventually write as a career, I have to say that I do want to take that road eventually. I'm just not sure when that will happen.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:13 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

It's not possible to do both *seems unrealistic*.

I'm pretty sure the author of Kite Runner was a doctor, but I'm not sure if he still is a doctor. But anywho, of course I want to be a published author, and at least I'm on looking for agent level (sort of). I do know that I want a real job, though. Marine biology, ecologist, dentist, something. Otherwise, if I were to miraculously get a book published, how would I be able to hunt down inspiration? I get inspiration from school, and life, and just plain living.

I got to a tech academy, so by the time we graduate, we're trained and qualified to become apprentices in whatever we're studying for. I think I'll change my career plans when I go to college, though. Maybe take up journalism or marine biology. English as a minor would be interesting. I'm not sure how colleges work, though @___@ So maybe I'll focus on maintaining high GPA's so universities won't reject me.

Oh! Rosey! Good luck in college!

-Shina
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:40 pm
wolf4 says...

Yeah, a full time writing career may seem like a far-off fantasy, but it's one I'm willing to persue. I still have a long way to go, but writing is the only thing I'm really good at. I mean, if I'm going to do something for the rest of my life, it might as well be something I enjoy. If not, then what's the point, except making money of course, but making a lot of money isn't very high on my priorities list. So I'm going to do whatever it takes to be a writer. It doesn't matter if I don't become famous. I just want to live a life I want to live and enjoy it wholeheartedly.

Ok, sorry for the rant. I'm done now :)
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:57 pm
tinny says...

I don't think I would ever want to become a full-time writer, I think it would end up being so boring after a while. There's so many other things that I would love to study more or actually work towards, that I'd much rather keep writing as a hobby that I dip into every now and then than as a full-time career. I don't think it would take me too long to get sick of it. I'd love a job that lets me go out and roam about the countryside like I do at university at the moment.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

Reviews: 3
Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:58 am
Moody says...

I can't see myself as a full-time writer but I think I'll keep writing in my spare time, possibly getting published. I do want to major in English when I go to college though so I can be an English teacher, or maybe an editor.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:41 am
pudin.junidf says...

I would totally love to be a full-time writer;just living in my fantasy, talking to my characters, making fantasy worlds come to life. But I have to face it, unless you get a book published well writing is just a hobby. Although, I love writing and I'll love to see my so far novella published. Besides I have to go to school, have friends, go to college and do many other things to make my characters life as human and believable as possible, even if it is about elves.

Getting published is a dream for all of us, I think that if my novel or certain poems for I consider my poems are better, get published then I will consider giving even more time to writing. I'm not even half way done with my novel, it's still a novella.
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am
foxfire says...

yeah..i do want a writing as an career but i won't simply do it by itself. Usually, i would abck it up like some other degree just to have some financial back up especcially with all those processes to publish a book.

Plus this career woulkd serve as a palce where i can get some research or information about story ideas
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:16 pm
Merlin34 says...

I'd love to be able to write full-time, but if I can't pay the bills with that, there's always environmental science.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:36 pm
Elinor says...

When/If Into the Depths gets published, I'll write a few other books from time to time. I also have two oher major interests besides writing - photography and acting. I'd love to try to interweave them all into my life. I wouldn't be a full time actress, and no one too famous either - maybe just be in a couple of plays/movies. In terms of photography, I would just do it as a hobby and then try to sell my work.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:17 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

For me, I don't think writing will ever get boring. I'd never do it full time at the moment; I need to think about a realistic career choice but I'd write part time. However, if I ever did make it as a really sucsessful writer(fat chance but could happen!) then I'd give up my day job without a second thought!!

(:
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm
Jetpack says...

I don't know. I always saw myself doing English at uni, but then I think, what do I do with that? My parents want me to be a lawyer, but they aren't going to pressure me about it. I have to choose what to do for work experience this year and I'm totally at a loss. I hate being realistic. :P

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:41 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I wish I could write full time, and if I manage to pull it off, I will be thrilled. But realistically, it's not that likely.

I do really love acting and singing, though, so I'd love to go into musicals. And I like songwriting, so I'd love to try to get songs taken up by professional singers. Of course, that's kind of a dream as well...most of my career choices are dreams. But you can't make a dream come true if you don't dream.

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro