z

Young Writers Society

Naming suggestions please!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:08 am
Talulahbelle says...

I have this stubborn character that refuses to be named. He's a king and very opinionated. He has strong views about kingship and puts too much pressure on his son to be a good king-in-training. He started out as Reece then changed to Spruce but neither really fit him.
Also...I have a naming theme going in the court and I'd like to stick to it. Its vague and I hope not too evident as you read my story but all their names are objects.
Examples: Valentine, Poet, Axel, Rose, Petal, Sage, Echo, Daisy, Ivy, Hopper, Saint...
I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanx!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:36 am
Master_Yoda says...

Hey Talulah,

I'm not sure if you are aware, but the lounge might not be the best place to post topics of this nature. Under the "Writing Resources" tab, exists a place called "The Writer's Corner". You are far more likely to get help about this sort of a thing there. Perhaps in the Writing Tips subforum.

I know that many will tell you that naming is vital to writing a story. While I'm not about to argue with that, emotion and character is far more important. :) What I'd advise is writing the story and then coming back and changing the name if necessary. Perhaps you'll find your character morphing to fit his name. This would certainly not be unwanted, and would save you the trouble of finding another one.

I can give you a whole bunch of names but at the end of the day you have to choose one. See if you like any of these. If I've helped it would be nice, but if I haven't it wouldn't be unexpected:
Blade
Claw
Tiger
Falcon
Cane
Spire

Have a great one! :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:44 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Sorry about putting this is the wrong place. Sometimes I get so confused around here! Alas... Thanks so much! Spire is perfect, me thinks. I can't tell you how grateful I am. I wrote out the complete rough draft already and revised it over and over and he just wouldnt take to a name, you know? He isn't a main character so it wasn't life-threatening just very annoying. Oooo, I'm so excited! Thank you! :elephant:
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:19 pm
Carlito says...

Try here: topic44281.html
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:51 pm
Master_Yoda says...

I'm glad I could help. :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

Imagine if everybody had a little Wii sports Mii to say "Great Shot!" everytime they did something right.
— TheMythMaster