z

Young Writers Society

Your Writing Insecurities

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:03 am
Merlin34 says...

So, what are your insecurities about your writing. Don't worry, I won't use them against you or anything, I'm just curious as to what people will say.

I for one, am worried that it's too cliche, my characters are too flat, and that something like it has already been done.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:58 am
Evi says...

Mm, I'm always worried about pace. I get so caught up in a storyline developing, or characters staying true to themselves and being original, that I'm not sure whether I'm speeding through things or moving lethargically. Especially with dialogue, I labor forever over where to add a 'he said' or where to describe an action. xD Quite frustrating, actually. I wish to thwap my inner editor on the head.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:59 am
Clo says...

I tend to nitpick about every sentence until I end up overthinking and picking odd words or something. :?
How am I not myself?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:02 am
Rosendorn says...

Making things specific. I have a really hard time with this, especially in first person (which is what I mostly write in, heh). I can have some problems with readers connecting with my characters as well, but being specific is what I really have problems with.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:30 am
Matt Bellamy says...

I'm writing a novel at the moment and since my last attempt at a novel was 16,000 words in the end, I am quite paranoid about my writing being too concise and my story not being long enough to be a novel.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:09 am
Hippie says...

I agree with you Matt. Last novel I tried to write was only just 50 000 words, and I was hoping for more like 100 000. The one I'm writing now is 10 500 so far, and I'm hoping it'll make 75 000 at least. Wish me luck.

Apart from that, I also feel that I maight be making the message too obvious, and that my story might appear as a thinly disguised lecture on my worldviews. It's hard to tell those things when you wrote it yourself because you already know the message. That's where constructive criticism is really helpful.

Oh, by the way Merlin, I haven't given up on you. My final exams are in 3 weeks so I've been studying hard. After that I'll pick Xaviers Quest back up.
Q: Where do you go to buy shoes?

A: At the shoez canal, lol.

Reviews: 3
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:10 am
Moody says...

I'm always worried my characters will be mary-sues or flat. I'm also worried my stories will be too short, I get so wrapped up in my word count.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:49 pm
Talulahbelle says...

Oh, length is a big deal for me. I find myself typing pages of my favorite books into word to compare computer-to-book ratios. I have issues with pacing and plot lines, too. I know what needs to happen and what the characters demand but not always how to get the story there and still make since. When I re-read my story I always have that little voice in the back of my head screaming "Why didn't they just do such-and-such!" I'm afraid that what seems normal or makes sense in my twisted mind doesnt make sense on paper...
I go to seek a Great Perhaps...

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm
wolf4 says...

I get really scared that people are going to think my work is amature or think my ideas are dumb. Not to mention staying with all of my stories. I'll get to about the sixth chapter or so, quit, and move on to a new one. I'm getting a little better now, but I've never finished an entire novel.
Don't follow in my footsteps. I run into walls.

Sometimes, it's best not to question your friends. Just help them dump the body into the river.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have pretty good ideas.

Writing isn't an excuse for insanity. It's a reason.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:22 am
MagnusBane says...

I'm always afraid that my writing's not good enough. Not good enough for me, not good enough for YWS, and certaintly not good enough to ever publish or do anything with.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:03 pm
foxfire says...

i might say that i have the tendency to give so much detail that there is alomost no plot and even if it is one particularly in a short story, it tends to get complicated that no one can understand it straight away.
John McClane: Drop it. It's the police.
Tony: You won't hurt me.
John McClane: Oh, yeah? Why not?
Tony: Because you're a policeman. There are rules for policemen.
John McClane: Yeah. That's what my captain keeps telling me

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm
Sureal says...

Sometimes I worry that my writing is too good.
I wrote the above just for you.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:26 pm
Carlito says...

I'm really, really bad at explaining/describing things. I either way over do it or I under do it.
I'm also afraid that no one is going to care about my characters the way I care about them or people will hate it or think it's stupid or something like that.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:43 pm
Evi says...

*steals Sureal's problem*

Oh, you poor thing. :P
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

Reviews: 1
Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:46 am
Crash says...

I worry about using the same words over and over again... Sometimes I'll go back and read what I've just written and realize I've used the word "crucial" like 8 times.
Stay Positive & Caffeinated!

I blog & freelance. :]

Put me in the fqluote generator. I say wise things.
— RigoTheHacker