z

Young Writers Society

Anyone Ever Feel...

Reviews: 3
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:14 am
Vonika says...

I do all the time. I really feel like I should have lived in the 19th century. Life today is all about what you want. Sleek new gadgets, cheesy celebrities, pressure to look perfect, people demanding MORE MORE MORE right now. Life today is all about immediate satisfaction in 2009. I find myself thinking all day about what life was like in the 18th and 19th centuries, when life was simpler, people were more charitable and honorable, and hard working. Sure, there were problems at that time, but really, I think I would prefer living in that time, with no knowledge of the technology today.

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:24 pm
Alainna says...

I feel like this all the time - although I don't want to go back to the 19th century, I just wish I had been born in the '50's. I know I would have loved being a teen in the swinging sixties. I look back at my mum's photos from that era and wish I could be there, wearing the clothes, listening to the music and living a slightly less demanding life.

So, yes, I sort of do get that feeling.

xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:31 pm
MaresAzulados says...

You guys too? :shock:

I feel like that all the time. Especially when something bad occurs, or something I see that I think it wouldn't be like that in a long time before.

I wish it could be like that...
Scipio: Do you know what happens here after dark? Things little eyes should never, ever see.
Bo: We're not scared.
Scipio: Not scared? Well, aren't you the little tiger? RAWR!

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 pm
EmmaJane says...

Some aspects from that time I wish were still here. ^^ Like manners! Carriages.. balls with sweeping dresses and the way they used to talk! Jane Austen... But, um, health-care and the possibility of being penniless and living in poverty back then... nah..

I get what you guys mean though. I'm the hopeless romantic who'd love to meet a Mr. Darcy sometime.

:mrgreen:
Your = Possession. Your shoes are so sweet!
You're = Omission. You're quite strange...

If you are confused about which to put, simply say in your mind "you are" and see if that fits the sentence. If not, you are looking for your.

Little Macey | Got YWS? | KOTS:BD

Reviews: 2
Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:23 pm
VoxPopulae says...

Yes, yes, yes! I constantly do feel so. Vonika, you are right when you talk about modern times being all about simply trying to get what you want, and nothing more. The meaning of hard work and making a difference to others' lives is all but extinct in this time, when meaning something to someone is as simple as getting them what they want.

I just wish I was living in the eighteenth century as a sailor-- the great, rigged, majestic sailing vessels, the crisp ocean air, the freedom of the water...

Romantics Unite!

~Vox

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm
Rosendorn says...

I tend to enjoy finding the dark side of history if only for my writing, so no, I really never think I'd have liked to be in a different time.

And have you seen the medical problems caused by corsets? It's enough to make you loose all interest in them.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:16 am
Ellyphant says...

I have always wished that.

I miss the days when modesty was what men would look for.
Where ladies were ladies. Not school yard whores.
I miss those times when no one was the same.
When every little girl, for her prince, would wait.
I miss the days when virginity was a prize,
And when men didn't cheat on their beloved wives.
Oh, how I miss those times.

~English Class.

(Up above was a on-the-spot assignment that I had to do for Project Jubilee in 6th grade. It wasn't great but I didn't have much time. We were suppose to come up with a poem about what we were thinking of at that moment. Since my imagination sores, I was wishing about the Victorian Era.)

I wish everyday that Reincarnation in a different time period would be possible. Sadly, nobody knows.
You're more than wonderful
More than amazing
The irreplaceable
Love of my life
You're so incredible
In these arms tonight
The irreplaceable
Love of my life

-Love of My Life, Brian McKnight.

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 am
Twit says...

Ah, yes, the Romanticness of living in another century when you didn't have traffic jams or health insurance, hustle and bustle or clean drinking water. Instead you had Mister Darcys and no female suffrage, carriages and starvation, manners and arranged marriages, corsets and breathing problems, parties and typhoid.

Admittedly, we have lost values that were more prevalent in those times, but if you read something like Chaucer, you can see that it doesn't neccesarily get sweeter the further back you go.

Plus, half the best books hadn't been written, half the best music hadn't been composed and films were nonexistant.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

63 Reviews

Reviews: 63
Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:51 pm
octocoffee says...

It's true that many people look for instant gratification, but I don't think that's something that just popped up recently. Back then, many people would marry aristocrats simply to be wealthy. Isn't that the same thing?

I'm happy to be born in this era. There's a lot of conflict and superficiality, but those two things will never, ever go. I mean, I've recently witnessed one of the greatest presidential campaigns in American history. The country overcame racial and gender prejudices to seriously consider an African-American and two women to govern the nation. It's not like prejudice has been eradicated, but this was a -huge- step, considering how things were only half a century ago. There are countless other people and events that have occurred recently, and I look up to them as inspiring.

There are many amazing things about this time that we live in. It just takes some effort to find, but hey, we all know that the things we have to work for are always cherished the most, right?
...if you are going to step on a live mine, make it your own. Be blown up, as it were, by your own delights and despairs. ~ Ray Bradbury
I Review Everything!

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:04 pm
Meep(: says...

Time period? I feel like I'm living in the wrong universe XD
~Liverpool F.C Supporter~
"You'll never walk alone"

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:10 pm
MagnusBane says...

Not really. I can't see anything wrong with living in this time period. Why would you want to live in the past, with all kinds of nasty illnesses and poverty and all that? You should just concentrate on living in the present, not dwelling on what could have happened if you'd been born in some other era.

Although... I've always wanted to live in a fantasy world with dragons and magic. Oh, and hot princes. :)
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 pm
.:Elf:. says...

magnusbanefan13 wrote:Although... I've always wanted to live in a fantasy world with dragons and magic. Oh, and hot princes. :)

Ditto.
I'd pick a different world over this world any day.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:53 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Yes, sometimes. I wish life was simpler. But really, if you think about it, women were always oppressed all throughout history, and only thought of as equals until just recently. I'm not all that into being oppressed.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm
Nolan says...

I dig indoor plumbing and refrigerated food and beverages way too much.
It'd be neat, though.
"Don't worry about my sanity, dear. After all, it's pointless to worry about something that's nonexistent."

-Nolan Logan

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm
Rosendorn says...

silverSUNLIGHTx wrote:Yes, sometimes. I wish life was simpler. But really, if you think about it, women were always oppressed all throughout history, and only thought of as equals until just recently. I'm not all that into being oppressed.

Actually, in ancient Egypt women held a lot of rights. It's pretty interesting to see how that got altered until we got rights again.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

'They are afraid of nothing,' I grumbled, watching their approach through the window. 'Together, they would brave Satan and all his legions.'
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights