z

Young Writers Society

Are women better writers than men?

Who do you think will be a better writer? A man or a woman?

Man
10%
Woman
13%
Both are the same
37%
Who knows?
40%

Total votes : 30

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:32 pm
RainWanderer says...

As I surfing thorugh the forums of YWS, I see a lot of the pink female signs under avatars...and seem like not many blue male signs. That lead me to think...are women actually better writers than men? Or just that we have a lot of girls on YWS?
Last edited by RainWanderer on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who am I? Just a wanderer, traveling from real life to dreams.

“Writing a book is a very lonely business. You are totally cut off from the rest of the world, submerged in your obsessions and memories.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 pm
Hawkie says...

I think that women, by nature, are more inclined to write than most men (do correct me if I'm wrong). Teenage girls especially feel the need to capture their more difficult emotions on paper. (Hence all the girls on YWS).

However, men do not make any worse writers than women. From what I know of the male members of YWS, they are actually some of the best writers here!

So really, who knows? But it's my opinion that they're around equal.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:10 pm
Conrad Rice says...

I have to agree with Hawkie in that girls might be more inclined to write, which is why there are so many of them on YWS.

However, that doesn't make them inherently better writers. In fact, the question of whether one is a good writer or not is independent of gender. Just because you're a guy or a girl doesn't mean you'll be a good or bad writer. What means you'll be a good or bad writer is if you have a knowledge of grammar and punctuation and a desire to write a story. Gender has nothing to do with it.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 pm
Merlin34 says...

Stephenie Meyer is your answer. Gender does not matter.
http://maxhelmberger.com/
Advice on writing, funny articles, and more.

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:16 pm
EmmaJane says...

Stephanie Meyer was an okay writer, she just badly didn't know when to end it. Plus her ideas were suspiciously alike another writer's. Anyone read the Vampire Diaries? Mmm. Oh, and I'm pretty sure V.D came out first. I'm pretty sure people (myself included) only hate it because it's all anyone talks about. The "dedicated fans" who can only ever talk about it.

Honestly, I don't really care. A good book is a good book. When I pick one up I do not immediately look at if the writer is male or female and then set the book back down if I don't like what they are. I agree with Hawkie and Conrad. Gender has nothing to do with it. Also, this is only one of the many writers' websites. There may be more boys than girls on another one.

In writing, boys keep up with the girls :wink:
Your = Possession. Your shoes are so sweet!
You're = Omission. You're quite strange...

If you are confused about which to put, simply say in your mind "you are" and see if that fits the sentence. If not, you are looking for your.

Little Macey | Got YWS? | KOTS:BD

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:54 pm
tinny says...

I think Nate's mentioned this before? We have more female members on YWS than we do male, but the male members tend to be more active.

Personally I don't think gender counts for much when it comes to writing talent. I think women have more of a tendency to write more emotionally driven things whereas most books I've read by men tend to be more action driven. In the end what you prefer comes down to a matter of taste though.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:40 pm
Nate says...

Here we go again...

Women do not tend to write more than men, and it's not the other way around either. Nor are women better writers than men; just as men are not better writers than women.

The problem is you're using a small sample size to come to your conclusion. So what if YWS has more female writers than male writers? That doesn't say anything except about YWS. It could very well be that YWS just happens to appeal to women more than men.

However, what I think it boils down to is that women are just more likely to share what they write. In the aggregate, women are more social than men. They tend to be more open, and thus more willing to share to begin with.

By the way, you should rethink your premise. The mere fact someone does not post their works online does not make them a bad writer. Emily Dickinson and Franz Kafka were both reclusive writers, but are recognized as literary geniuses.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 pm
Snoink says...

The obvious answer is Pat Buchanan.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:32 pm
Blink says...

Snoink wrote:The obvious answer is Pat Buchanan.

Err, no. Pat's a guy, and obviously gender defines a person entirely.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Snoink says...

But... Pat could be male or could be female... DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:47 pm
Blink says...

Snoink wrote:But... Pat could be male or could be female... DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.

<.<
>.<

The plot thickens.

Patty Puchanan? xD
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:51 pm
Angels-Symphony says...

Seriously, it just depends on the writer themself and the definition of a "good writer".
You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself into one.

The writer, when he is also an artist, is someone who admits what others don't dare reveal.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:05 pm
Hawkie says...

Nate, you are very smart.

(I thought Pat was a girl too . . .)

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 pm
Actawesome says...

There wasn't a single vote under men!

So I voted for it.

But to be honest, it probably doesn't matter which gender, what really matters is how awesome you write.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:56 pm
SpencerNolanRivers says...

Naturally, I think woman are better 'story tellers,' not nessisarily writers. If you were to ask a woman how her day was, she would reply in a similar way to this:

"I went to the store to go buy a new pair a shoes after my old ones got shredded after I fell down a concrete staircase, met up with my friend Jenny, who I haven't seen in over three months. Did you hear she's broken up with Jared Mosley now? Afterwards I came back home to catch up on my favorite show, True Blood." See? Full of details.

Normally, if asked the same question a man would simply answer: "I went to the store, met up with a friend, and then came back home to watch tv." Though, if a man were to set his mind on writing something good, the differences between his work and of a woman's wouldn't be much different.
House: People interest me. Conversations don't.
Foreman: Maybe because conversations go both ways.
House & Foreman: Like Thirteen.

the world (me) cries out for salvation (snacks)
— creaturefeature