z

Young Writers Society

Your Favorite Vacation

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:39 pm
Nate says...

For most of us, it's summer now, which means lots of vacations. So in the spirit of summer, what is your favorite vacation that you've ever done? It could be in any season to anywhere; just let us know where you went and why you liked it so much!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

My favourite vacation was when I went to see my best friend in Calgary. I hadn't seen her in person for a couple of years. ^_^ The last night, we were up until almost eleven talking. We kept looking at the clock, wondering if we should tell our parents then time, looked at each other, and went "Naw!" :P
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 pm
Evi says...

Last summer my grandmother, who is a seasoned traveler (to say the least), took my parents and me to London and Edinburgh. It was amazing, despite the ten hour plane ride. ^^ I'll never forget riding down the Thames River or seeing Edinburgh from a birds-eye view atop the castle!
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 pm
lilymoore says...

Probably my favorite vacation was back when I was 12 and my family drove 3 days to Florida to see my uncle (and Disney). Driving through the Everglades was possibly one of the most interesting things I've ever experianced. Well, that, and the rides at MGM were amazing. Plus, while I was waiting in line (for 2 hours) for the ride "Tower of Terror" I met some of the most interesting people.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm
Firestarter says...

It's a toss-up between:

(a) Family holiday to France for three weeks -- we went camping in three different places: near the German border, next to a lake; in the Dordogne, where it was ridiculously hot and there was an amazing waterpark (there were also loads of lovely villages, and we canoed down the river one day); near Paris, which was the first time I had visited the city, and it really stuck with me.

(b) My trip to California two years ago. I absolutely loved meeting all the YWSers over there and it was really cool to get a taste of the life out there and see San Francisco. Travelling on my own was a positive experience. I took a risk and it paid off.

Hopefully my trip to New York & Canada might beat the above.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:05 pm
Teague says...

SCOTLAND.

No contest.

Okay, we went to London first, but then we went up to Edinburgh, Stirling, the Isle of Skye, Inverness, then back to Edinburgh, and back to London for the trip home.

I have never been so happy as I was on the Isle of Skye. It's the best place I've ever visited. Our hotel had no clock, no television, no radio, no phone, nothing. It was right on the waterfront and had a nice traditional pub just across the road. It was so quiet and beautiful and ohmygosh amazing. <3

Don't get me wrong, the big cities were cool, but I'm totally a fan of the peaceful places.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:06 am
thunder_dude7 says...

Not exactly a vacation, but...

We went up to Conneticut to see my cousin graduate from the Coast Guard Acadamy. We passed around New York - no touristy stuff there, but I did see the Empire State Building from a distance. We made it up there really late, but the next day, my cousin's mentor/friend took us on a fly around the the area in a small plane - there was room for 4 passengers, plus the piolet and copiolet. That was the only time I've ever remembered flying - I'd flown three times before, but all those times were before I was a year old, so I couldn't remember them.

I've never left the country, though.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:17 am
Nate says...

I may as well say mine...

Australia. Went there for a month in the summer of 2001 with a group of people my age, and except for the last two nights when we slept in a youth hostel in Sydney, we spent the entire trip outdoors. We went hiking in that North-Eastern tip of Australia, kayaking along the coast for a week, rafting down the Tully river, and hiking in the Outback near Alice Springs. It was very cool, and if I ever chose to live outside the USA, I'd move to Cairns.

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:47 am
niteowl says...

I've got two: my trip to Greece and my trip up north last summer. Greece was awesome because I was with my family, I got to meet all sorts of relatives, I Greek-danced, we had several "My Big Fat Greek Vacation" moments, the weather was perfect, and Greece is just a beautiful place.

Going to the cottage up north last summer was pretty awesome as well. I've been going there since I was a little kid, but this time was different because I was on my own with my best friend. The weather was bad, which limited what we could do, but we still drove around and found some awesome places I'd never seen before. I might go again this year with a few more friends, which would be cool.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:15 am
Clo says...

I am so jealous of everyone else's vacations! :O
How am I not myself?

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:06 am
WaterVyper says...

Oh, going to Finland! I absolutely loved the snow. I rarely see real life snow, so going there in winter was like a dream. The cold was nearly murder, but the cabin my family rented was warm and cozy, and I'd sit at the window just staring up into the sky at night. It was beautiful. Though I would've loved to see the northern lights, it was a great vacation.

There was the one time when I got to ride a sled pulled by reindeer. That was the best. Baking cookies with my mom and brother, going to see Santa (which was kind of creepy), sledding down a gigantic polar bear shaped hill, and generally, playing in the snow, and in the cold. I'd love to go back one day.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:40 pm
Demeter says...

Someone's actually been to Finland? :shock:

I died right there.

But yeah. I love every vacation I have, but I really loved being in London for the first time, when we went to see the Lion King musical with Mom and... and actually I loved the second time too, when I was with my dad and we went to see Phantom of the Opera.

I also loved Ireland. We did this road trip around the country and it was so cool.

And Scotland. Oh my god. The views. [s]The weather.[/s] Becks and Mars. The views again. Yum.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I haven't been on any vacations nearly as good as those. :) But, I have been to Colorado and that was really fun. We went to the mountains and visited my grandparents. We went mini-golfing and go-karting. Nothing amazing, but still really fun.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 am
Phantomofthebasket says...

Ahh, I'm so jealous of everyone! I've never been to a different country!
Well... outside of Canada. But does that even count?

My best vacation would have to be a few years back (more like four or five) when I went to Florida to go to Disney World.
Pretty amazing, especially since we didn't have to wait in ANY lines. And if we did, it was for about five minutes. :D
Phantom's Contest Basket <--Make me happy and join my contest! Due date: August 15th!
Phantom's Reviewing Basket <--Need a review? Go here and ask!

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:49 pm
Lauren2010 says...

My best vacation was when I spent two weeks in nothern California checking out the coast and the big trees. It was beautiful and amazing, definatly recomend a similar trip to anyone =)
Got YWS?

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall