z

Young Writers Society

Discouraged

Reviews: 3
Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:44 pm
seyonne says...

So, as some of you know I'm a published author. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm good, and I'm starting to doubt myself. My book isn't selling well that I know of, for starters, besides people I know or my dad works with buying it.....and I've gotten one 'lukewarm' review, and one scathingly, rippingly, tear you a new a-hole horrifyingly BAD review.

I want to- and am going to- keep writing and besides, I have a two year contract with Dreamspinner. They're an itty-bitty alternate publishing company and I'm starting to think they only took my book 'cause I put in gay characters, and never thought my book was good at all.

I won't lie; I never thought the book was my best work to start with. But now I'm downright scared to send anything else out for potential publication. I'm afraid my publisher will laugh in my face.

I mean, apparently, I suck. I don't like to think that way and normally I don't, but the lack of success is enough to make anyone start feeling self-conscious. I don't even think my friends really like it. I'm going to demand an honest opinion and I'm terrified of what it'll be. >.<

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:21 pm
seyonne says...

thanks for the support, guys. -_- lol

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:30 pm
Twit says...

Gee, give people a chance to take a breath.

Maybe next time you should use an agent instead of signing contracts? Then your agent will tell you how to improve and all. I think. And anyway, just because people don't buy doesn't necessarily mean that you're bad. Catherine Webb is one of the best authors I've read, but I've yet to meet one person in the flesh who's read her books.
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:56 pm
seyonne says...

Actually, they don't- they send out form letters. :/ And I only said what I did because several people read the post and no one made any comment. No need to get mean. But yeah, I know what you mean' the only people I know who have read Carol Berg or Sarah Monette are people I've met online.

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:16 am
Galerius says...

This it? http://www.amazon.com/Mourning-Doves/dp/B0027P9DFO

Those two reviews don't sound at all like the ones you described. Either you got your friends to write golden reviews for you or you have two fans out there. If it's the latter - hey, then you do have readers.

Don't 95% or so authors fail to achieve any type of measurable success? Publishing and fame don't go hand in hand.

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:17 am
seyonne says...

The bad review is at Rainbow reviews. And yes, that is my book. ^_^

One of those is a guy I work with.....the other is no one I know, she's just some person who read my book and kind of liked it. And I know that, it's just discouraging when you read a bad review. >.<

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

It's really hard to take criticism, but you must learn to if you want to work in this field. Famous authors edit their works to death and still sometimes receive scathing reviews, but they take it all in stride.

Best of luck,
Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:56 am
seyonne says...

Oh, believe me, I know that. And I had to handle it when trying to get published in the first place. Sometimes, though, you just need to rant. Or be told you don't suck. LOL

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:57 am
Snoink says...

Hehe, the critique is damning, but at least it points out plotholes and other consistencies that can be looked at in subsequent drafts, so it can be helpful. Just make sure you don't do those things again. You'll get better as you grow -- we all do -- and hopefully soon you will look at these reviews like my governor looks at his bad movies--he threatens the legislator that he'll force them to watch those movies if they don't agree on budget problems.

Best of luck, and keep your chin up.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss