z

Young Writers Society

For all the college math geeks out there...

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:24 pm
JFW1415 says...

So, I was wondering what the progression of math classes are. My brother is picking out classes for freshman year in college right now, and the only options are like, Algebra Fundamentals and other things like that - classes I've already taken. Do I have to major in math to get decent classes?

And does anyone know the progression of math classes? I know for high school it's:

- Algebra 1
- Geometry
- Algebra 2
- Pre-calculus
- Calculus

But what about college?

[sorry if this should be in randomness]

~JFW1415

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:33 am
niteowl says...

I think math classes vary from college to college. Depending on your major, you may have to take several, or you may take none at all if you can test out with AP credit. I took Calculus 1 and 2 and tested out of them in high school, but I'm a science major, so I had to take Multivariable Calculus and Differential Equations this past year (my freshman year). Now, because I'm not a math major, I'm done with math!

Like I said, every college is different, but in mine, the sequence goes like this

-Basic Algebra (remedial-doesn't count as college credit)
-Precalculus w/Trig (also remedial)
-Calculus I (non-science people just have to take this)
-Calculus II(premeds have to take this, as do any science/math/engineering students)
-Multivariable Calculus (science/math/eng. students)
-Differential Equations(engineering/physical science students, don't know about math majors)
-Linear Algebra (math, possibly some science majors)-Haven't taken this, but several friends have, and I heard it's tough
-Other upper-level math classes (only for the truly crazy or math majors :D)

You might also take statistics classes, depending on your major.

Now since you said you take calculus in high school, you may want to register for the AP test (AB or BC, depending on how far your class goes) the year you take that class. This can get you college credit and/or a higher math placement in college. At my college, everyone coming in has to take a math test to determine where they're placed, but I got out of it because I had the AP credit

Overall, there really isn't a "sequence". In college, what classes you take in any subject varies widely depending on your major. Hope that helps.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:45 am
Snoink says...

I had to take linear algebra. XD

It really depends on what major you're going into. I had to take partial differential equations and mathematical modeling and several math programming courses, but it depends on the school and such. Also, if you're going into science, statistics is pretty much essential, I think.

But if you're a math major, you're going to be taking real analysis, complex analysis, number theory, and then you're going to specialize in whatever field you want to delve in even deeper. And there are lots and lots of fields to go into.

Bug Dream Deep or Griffinkeeper if you want to go into math.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:05 am
JFW1415 says...

Thank you! That really helps. I just wanted a little idea of what the normal path is.

I'm taking AP Statistics junior year, and AP Calculus senior year, so hopefully those will be all set before college. =]

I don't plan on majoring in math, but I absolutely love it, so I'm hopefully going to continue taking lots of math classes. I'm sooo looking forward to my junior year in high school 'cause it's the only year I get to take TWO math classes at once - yay! =]

lol. Yes, I do realize I'm crazy.

If anyone has any more info, I'm all ears. =]

~JFW1415

Only the suppressed word is dangerous.
— Ludwig Borne