4%
Both!
29%

Total votes : 24

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:31 am
GryphonFledgling says...

I'm just curious as to what the folks on YWS would say they usually write.

This is what you write mostly. Obviously you can dabble in any other style you wish (I'm trying my hand at a comic right now, and I've scribbled out a few scripts before) but your choice would be what you write at least 70% of the time.

I'm a prose writer all the way. But, like I said, I do occasionally experiment in other forms of writing.

~GryphonFledgling

EDIT: Odd... I am so sure that I had an "Other" option in there... So if there are any of you that feel limited by these choices, explain!
Last edited by GryphonFledgling on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:05 am
Antigone Cadmus says...

I write prose. I enjoy reading poetry, but I've never attempted to write it.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:21 am
Rosendorn says...

I would be one of the "Both" votes (the only one, at the moment...). Sometimes I find poetry convays an idea better, others I find prose doses a better job. It's all in how the words want to be told.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

1334 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1334
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 am
Hannah says...

I definitely considered myself an all-prose girl up until recently. I knew that the poems I attempted to write were crap, but that was perhaps because I said 'oh, I should write some poetry', and then forced myself to write, rather than letting the emotions and words flow out naturally. Recently (in fact, only since I joined this website, it seems) I have been exploring poetry a lot more! It's VERY enjoyable, and I'm finding myself respecting it even more and, dare I say, LOVING to write it. =]] This may also be enhanced by the fact that poems are often a lot shorter than the stories I've attempted to write.

I have definitely found more of a sense of accomplishment from poetry than from prose, as I haven't really managed to finish any prose worth talking about! D:

But, all in all, I'll vote both. n___n

<3

-Hannah-
you can message me with anything: questions, review requests, rants
are you a green room knight yet?
have you read this week's Squills?

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:06 am
Evi says...

I hardly think of myself as a prose-writer or a poetry-writer, simply because I haven't written enough of anything halfway decent in either catagory. :oops: I've attempted both, but I'm definately more comfortable writing prose-- my poetry is simply experimental, although sometimes I am content with the outcome, even when it seems nobody else is. ;)

So, if pressured to label myself, I'd definately say 'prose'. Oddly enough, it's easier for me to convey an emotion or let my feelings out in prose than in poetry. I guess I'm just funny that way.
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:36 am
Conrad Rice says...

I would say that I write prose. That's not to say I've never written poetry, I have buttloads of poems sitting around in my room. They're just not going to see the light of day. They're that bad. Prose is one thing that I can write and write well. So, I stick with it nowadays.
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:16 am
Demeter says...

Both!
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 am
JabberHut says...

I need a "Not sure" option, and it didn't seem to register that "Both" was a choice. xD So I clicked Prose.

I usually write Prose, but I tend to do poetry better. Granted, my poetry isn't Suz or Sam worthy, but it's Jabber worthy--simple, cute. It's my style of poetry, and it's fun once in a while. I don't understand why I do poetry better than prose though. Probably because all my English classes study poetry more than prose.

*shrug* I'd like to try writing a script this next week. :wink:
I make my own policies.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

Poetry and non-fiction. ^_^ Sometimes stories, but that's not really my forté.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:54 pm
Ohio Impromptu says...

Prose. I used to be a poet. People said I was pretty good at it, but it got old.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to reply to this question with "other". Sometimes I feel restrained by prose.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:41 pm
lilymoore says...

I'm definitely a child of prose. It was what originally inspired me to write and what will undoubtably continue to inspire me. Yes, poetry is nice, but to me, there is simply too many ways a poem can be read. It is as if a poem lacks a compass. However, with prose, you are more capable of giving your readers a sense of direction and movement.

Not only that, but prose can have so many variations and you can express emotions and details so vividly as well as take a central character and really give them direction. In poetry, aside from very talented Narrative Poets, this is a difficult thing to accomplish.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:15 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Over here the answer is a clear prose. I used to write poetry a lot, and still occasionally dabble in the murky fields of poetry ^_^, but I'd have to say that at least 90% of my time writing is spent on prose. Most of the time this presents itself in the form of novels, well at least abandoned manuscripts of the first ten or so chapters of novels. On occasion, however I do write short stories.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:50 pm
alwaysawriter says...

Prose. I write poetry every once in a while but normally just prose.
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

Reviews: 3
Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:44 am
Moody says...

I mostly write prose. Sometimes if I have inspiration I'll write some poetry or a song but I'm not very good at poetry/songs.

272 Reviews

Reviews: 272
Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm
beckiw says...

Prose for me. I guess I like creating worlds and characters and developing a story-line.

I have only written poetry when forced to haha

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro