z

Young Writers Society

So, what do you think the difference is...

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm
lilymoore says...

In your opinion, what is the difference between what you would call a review and what you would call a critique. I can't seem to figure it out. Is there even a difference?
Last edited by lilymoore on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm
KailaMarie says...

I use them interchangably. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be used, though. I think technically the difference is that a review is just giving your opinion, but a critique is analyzing the parts of it, and giving helpful criticism. I'm not sure, though.
... :D ...
[url]spottedturtle.tumblr.com[/url]

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:48 pm
Rosendorn says...

I tend to watch how I use them.

Critiques: Those are the reviews that take an hour to put together. The ones that point out things in the text, give examples, all that good stuff.

Reviews: Usually much shorter. Only giving general comments or your opinion on a work. No real examples from the text, just some general stuff.

That's the difference I see.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 am
lilymoore says...

Thanks Rosey. I think you might be right. Which makes me a critic, not a reviewer. Weee. I'm special. hahaha. Well, if any one else would give an opinion, that would be awesome too.
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:00 am
Sureal says...

I only use the word 'critique' (or just 'crit' if I'm feeling lazy).
I wrote the above just for you.

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm
Evi says...

I don't think there's a significant difference, really. Or at least, I hope not. Because I've called myself both, asked for both, and used them both interchangeably. ;) As long as you're helping the writer, does it really matter what it's called?

Although, I always did think that 'critique' sounded ever so sophisticated. :lol:

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:48 pm
Lauren says...

There's nothing lesser about a review, IMO. Film reviews and book reviews, for example, are not brief.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I think that reviews are general, while a critique is specifically critical. So a critique is also a review.

Reviews: 3
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 pm
Moody says...

I use review and critique interchangeably, but I'm guessing that critiques are usually more in depth than reviews.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:04 am
Icaruss says...

Reviews are more selfish in nature. Which means that a lot of thought is given about how it is written and structured and generally it is more about your opinion and what you thought about the work. A critique is much more selfless and it's a painstaking analysis of the whole work, picking out grammar errors and parts that don't work well, etc. It's also more objective than a review.

Like, in a review, I can say I didn't like the piece because I don't see why anybody would find the lives of spoiled, rich brats interesting. While in a critique, I'd focus more on why such and such character wasn't believable, etc.

I think they can both be equally helpful. A critique, for example, will help a writer find sentences that don't work and he'll have a better idea on how to make them better. A review, on the other hand, will make him see how people are reacting to his work.

Personally, I write reviews because I'm too selfish to actually make something just about another person other than myself.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 am
View Likes
peanutgallery007 says...

Not sure what the difference is... :? . I think a critique might be small things, little mistakes, while a review is over-all, or in the bigger picture, so to speak. If this is the case, I critique a lot more than I review! 8)
[spoiler]I don't really know though. I try to do them both a lot. ;)[/spoiler]
Have a peanut =)

Try your hand at my poetry contest!

Proud LGBT supporter.

I just write poetry to throw my mean callous heartless exterior into sharp relief. I’m going to throw you off the ship anyway.
— Vogon Captain (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)