z

Young Writers Society

Any guys who like romance?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 am
Dark Sploosh says...

I've always considered myself a hopeless romantic, and it's always bugged me that there aren't many romance novels out there targeted towards men. A lot of the ones I've seen that claim to be targeted towards males tend to feature horribly stereotyped everymen as the protagonists: weak willed and shallow fools who are just looking to get off with a cardboard cut-out female lead, who they manage to score for absolutely no good reason. You know, basically the same as most poorly written girls' romance novels, just with the genders flipped. Is there any well written men's romance novels that don't stereotype our entire gender, and are actually enjoyable to read? While I'm at it, are there any other guys here willing to admit they can dig a good romance?
“The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.”
– Marshal Ferdinand Foch

695 Reviews

Reviews: 695
Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 am
Angel of Death says...

Well, I'm not a guy but I think that guys who write romance are awesome. It would be refreshing to read a romantic novel about a normal guy stripped of stereotypes.

A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway is a good book with a man for a main character. It's sorta romantic but it's still a good book.

~Angel
True love, in all it’s celestial charm, and
star-crossed ways, only exist in a writer’s
mind, for humans have not yet learned
how to manifest it.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 am
erratik_statik says...

mann..

i don't dig conventional romance novels, but hell i dig romance :-)

I'm a hopeless romantic to the core.

But I view love differently to conventional writers, as they are just ohh so stereotypical!!

direct me too some good ones???
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas. . . . . .

"The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" T.S Eliot

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:45 pm
Minimal says...

If you are into romance definetley look up A Farewell to Arms, although it is not as romantic as it is depressingly sad, but in a stoic way. I do not know if you have read any Nicholas Sparks, but The Notebook was very good. That is the only book of his I have read, but I found it very poignant.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 pm
Manny says...

I like some romance in what I read, but I don't like it when the whole plot is about romance.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 pm
Blink says...

I like some romance novels. Specifically, Birdsong is a wonderful novel. Most of it's set before, during and shortly after the First World War. It's not stereotypical because you don't expect the romance. It just... happens. But it makes sense. Sort of.

=)
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:26 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Dark Sploosh wrote:I've always considered myself a hopeless romantic, and it's always bugged me that there aren't many romance novels out there targeted towards men. A lot of the ones I've seen that claim to be targeted towards males tend to feature horribly stereotyped everymen as the protagonists: weak willed and shallow fools who are just looking to get off with a cardboard cut-out female lead, who they manage to score for absolutely no good reason. You know, basically the same as most poorly written girls' romance novels, just with the genders flipped. Is there any well written men's romance novels that don't stereotype our entire gender, and are actually enjoyable to read? While I'm at it, are there any other guys here willing to admit they can dig a good romance?

I know, same here. I have been working on a male romance work, but failing tragicly.

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:30 pm
Explosive_Pen says...

Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli. It's about a girl, but from the point of view of a guy. It's one of my favorites, so you might enjoy it.
And Nation by Terry Pratchett. Not exactly a romance novel, but there is some romance in it.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:37 am
Nate says...

Anything romance by Shakespeare except Romeo and Juliet.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:43 am
thunder_dude7 says...

I enjoy romance within a novel - however, I can't stand it being the focus of the book. I need other stuff going on.

Now, I have read a couple romance books(secretly, mind you), purely because I wanted to work on that aspect, as there is that element within some of my books.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Uhm...

Nicholas Sparks has okay plots when it comes to romance but his writing style is weird. But check his books out anyway. Dear John wasn't too bad.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin is a great book. It's action/romance/historical. Absolutely lovely.

I've heard that Kahlil Gibrahn (did I spell his name right?) has some good books on the subject 'love'.

And if you want romances that are a breath of fresh air from contemporary stuff I would suggest Jane Austen. I'm not sure if you boys will like it. But she's a classic so go on and read.:)

Wuthering Heights is awesome as well.:)

But if you want a romance by a male writer then read Tess of D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:55 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Oh, I just remembered another romance that was pretty good. It's also very original. No cliched plots or anything.

The Time Traveller's Wife.:)
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:34 pm
Lauren says...

Men write very well of love and obsession and lust, IMO. But romance? Ah, I don't believe that is truly a genre. In books, at least. I believe it should serve as a sub-plot.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 am
erratik_statik says...

Just remembered.
"The Persimmon Tree" and the sequel: "Fishing For Stars" by Bryce Courtenay.

Maybe a bit cliche-courtenay, but they really hook you in. Characters are done properly and the plot is interesting, if not a tad unrealistic.

I recommend :-)
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas. . . . . .

"The Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock" T.S Eliot

Reviews: 3
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:29 pm
'Blood'-|-'Notes' says...

Ah! Nicholas Sparks is the best romance writer in the whole freakin' world! I know I am not a dude but he is and his books are beautiful. I just finished reading Message In a Bottle and it was sad and amazing. I have read A Walk To Remember and The Notebook a billion times. I love those ones. I think that's all that I have read of him. The sad part is...he's married. *Bummer snap*
He's her drug and she's addicted.

It's unsettling to know how little separates each of us from another life altogether.
— Wes Moore, The Other Wes Moore